spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

brb198

join:2012-12-18
Hoboken, NJ

[Northeast] 75/35 - how fast should I expect wireless to be?

Hey Guys,

I live in a high wireless area - Hoboken NJ. There are countless wireless networks clogging the airwaves. I have found that the best channel for me is 10 so far.

I have plugged Ethernet in and got download speeds of 80/35. But when switching to WIFI N the best I can get is 37/35 right next to the router.

Is this the best I can do? I talked to tech support and they seemed content with it - I could see it degrading further away but right next to it I would like to see a little more.

Any help or advise would be greatly appreciated.

hubrisnxs

join:2009-12-30
Fountain Valley, CA
kudos:2

Re: [Northeast] 75/35 Plan WIFI - whats the best I can get

this is probably the best you can do without getting a 5ghz Wireless N router.

you should download InSSIDer and check the difference between the 2.4 ghz range congestion and
the 5ghz range congestion.

you will probably find next to noone on the 5ghz range.

Verizon doesn't offer a 5ghz wireless so you would have to buy one.

brb198

Hoboken, NJ
I don't show any networks on 5ghz with inSSIDer - what types of speed could I expect?

brb198

Hoboken, NJ
reply to brb198

Re: [Northeast] 75/35 - how fast should I expect wireless to be?

Just read that 5ghz is only compatible with newer devices - I thought it was universal.

I guess I will have to live with the speeds and get a range extender.

Springbok

join:2002-09-13
Colleyville, TX
Unless your wireless device on the PC where you run inSSIDer is capable and enabled to use 5ghz, you won't have visibility of 5ghz channels in use.

jcondon

join:2000-05-27
Fishkill, NY
reply to brb198
I had similar issues on wireless with my 50/25 service. I can see like 15 other wireless networks (I live in an apartment building).

Anyway I hooked up my old wireless router (Asus rt-n16) as a wireless access point. I think it is option 3 off the FIOS faq here.

55/31 or so doing that. I did have to put it on channel 5 to get the best speed.

The Actiontech wireless seems to suck.

McBane

join:2008-08-22
Plano, TX
With 5GHz the range is not nearly as good and quite honestly you get better speeds on 2.4GHz if your outside of the same room as the WAP.

Wireless isn't going to go much above 50Mbps outside the same room as an access point, if your on 802.11g it averages to about 35Mbps. The less network congestion the better speeds your going to get obviously.

patsarsfield

join:2012-03-11
I have the 75/35 service and unless it's peak hours, I am getting at least that speed with my wireless. I am on the 2.4 GHz band and my wireless card is an old Atheros 9285. I am using an ASUS RT-N56U router for my wireless.

McBane

join:2008-08-22
Plano, TX
Consider yourself lucky that you don't live in a high density populated wireless area. I also bet that those speeds drop significantly if you move a few rooms away from your WAP, which is how most people use wireless these days with smartphones and tablets.

I need to setup a range extender in my house, it's just too big for high speed wireless in all areas with one WAP, not to mention the interference from the 15 other WAPs my neighbors have...

serge87

join:2009-11-29
reply to brb198
I'm using a pfsense machine as my router and the actiontec rev. G as a wireless AP and get a consistent ~40Mbps over wireless.

patsarsfield

join:2012-03-11
Click for full size
From tonight with set-up noted above and about 30 feet and two rooms away from my router:

brb198

Hoboken, NJ
My roommates Macbook Pro tested in at 75 mbps but my dell seems to be capped at 30 mpbs or so. Same room, same conditions. They both have N capabilities.

How could this be??

Springbok

join:2002-09-13
Colleyville, TX
said by brb198:

My roommates Macbook Pro tested in at 75 mbps but my dell seems to be capped at 30 mpbs or so. Same room, same conditions. They both have N capabilities.

How could this be??

Well, WIFI bandwidth depends on the capabilities on both ends. Your Dell could have a very low end WIFI card. For example, the Belkin N750 USB WIFI stick is capable of 450 mbps over either 2.4 or 5 mhz.

aaronwt
Premium
join:2004-11-07
Woodbridge, VA
reply to brb198
Yes, I can get 150Mb/s down throughput over wireless(and 69Mb/s up). Not quite the 155Mb/s I can get over the wired connection but at least it's close enough. There are only a dozen or so WiFi networks around me so it is not very congested.