share rss forum feed

rblizz

join:2001-12-16
North Richland Hills, TX

4 edits
reply to The Wiz

Re: I Switched to Cable Phone service and I'm Glad

said by The Wiz:

With all of the issues that everyone is having with their Voip service provider(s) makes me glad that I switched my phone service to Comcast Business Class Phone last July. Since then I've had rock solid service except for a 20 minute period during Hurricane Sandy. Wished I've switched last winter when I started having a slew of issues with both Callcentric and VOIP. MS. As usual whenever I reported having issues it was allways my fault. Now, whenever I have a problem I don't have to read an E-mail message, from the providers tech support, that is full of BS. Instead a tech arrives at my business to resolve the issue within 2 hours of calling in to open a repair ticket. Yes, you read right instead of E-Mailing the tech support group I simply call in and speak to a live person 24/7

Well, congratulations. Not quite what the point of posting this message in a VoIP Tech forum was, but congratulations all the same.

2nd Edit: I see your post was moved from another thread so now, in context, I understand why you posted.

I went the opposite route. I was paying Charter $30 for unlimited calling to the U.S. and Canada, plus $5 not to be listed (to try to avoid being on everyone's call list), plus over $15 in fees and taxes (total over $50 a month) -- and we hardly used the service because we had cell phones. To be honest, the voice quality was good (about as good as CallCentric) as long as the cable service was up.

I decided that was too much, but I still wanted a home phone so I went CallCentric. For $4.45 a month (Dirt Cheap DID and 911 fee) I get unlimited incoming calls and pay almost 2 cents a minute for outgoing -- total cost for me, per month, is about $7 a month. But I talk to relatives all the time (sometimes an hour or more at a time) but, since they also have CallCentric, this means it costs us nothing. And I have much clearer voice than with my cell phone. Now, when my Sprint contract runs out, I can drop back to a 250 minutes a month plan that costs $12 (all taxes included) through Page Plus, and I'll save another good chunk of money.

Reliability? Except for a couple days during the DDoS attack when CallCentric service was compromised, and for the two days the power was out in Manhattan, CallCentric is *never* down. I can't say my phone service is never down because Charter goes down for a couple hours about every other week now. But it went down occasionally *before* I moved to CallCentric also -- and so my Charter phone was down during those times also.

I'm extremely happy I went with CallCentric. If I had a business, my main incoming line would probably still be POTS (CallCentric can't control when my cable service will go down) but outgoing, and any extra DID numbers would be VoIP (in my case CallCentric). As it is, I have the cell phone for backup and can work around my cable company's glitches.

EDIT: As for trouble tickets ... I was a phone tech (traditional PBX, not VoIP). We worked trouble tickets all the time. To me it's much more efficient than waiting on the phone -- I used to have to wait on the phone with telcos for hours at a time when a T1 was down. Than, after that hour wait, I would be told that -- "Oh, the problem isn't on the carrier side, it's on the circuit side." So then I would wait an hour for the circuit side tech to tell me that, "It appears the problem is on the carrier side." When you put in a trouble ticket -- all those kinds of issues are handled *off-line* -- much more efficient use of resources.

Thing is, you have to be comfortable setting up and maintaining your own equipment. If you're not, BYOD is not the route you should go.