uniqs
XXXXXXXXXXX1
Premium Member
join:2006-01-11
Beverly Hills, CA

XXXXXXXXXXX1 to billaustin

Premium Member

to billaustin

Re: CATV issue- box freezing and reboots.

said by billaustin:

I prefer DirecTV. They provide a similar setup, and have been offering whole-home DVR service for quite a while. I started with three 2-tuner DVR's when it first became available. With the HD setup I have, all DVR's have internet access and can download PPV and on-demand content. The HD receivers can access any of the DVR's and watch any recorded content. With their SWM system, there is only one cable from the Dish, and it can be split like cable. Also, DirecTV now offers a 5-tuner DVR.

Bill, so if I were to go the DIRECTV route, I could have one coax from outdoors to indoors, then have it enter a splitter (or use an 8-port amp like I have), and then only one coax run is needed for each DVR?

The problem for me is that I didn't run 2 coax drops to each outlet location... so a DVR that requires 2 coax hookups would need either a splitter immediately before the DVR, or only one hookup, which defeats the purpose of having a DVR (Only one program could be recorded or watched at a time).

The beauty of the Hopper setup is that I could get full functionality from each Hopper and Joey without the need for 2 coax runs to any of the receivers or DVRs.

Jack_in_VA
Premium Member
join:2007-11-26
North, VA

Jack_in_VA

Premium Member

Jim you don't need 2 coax for each DVR anymore. I only have one from the dish to the input block and then one coax to each DVR. My second coax from the dish now is spare.
XXXXXXXXXXX1
Premium Member
join:2006-01-11
Beverly Hills, CA

XXXXXXXXXXX1

Premium Member

said by Jack_in_VA:

Jim you don't need 2 coax for each DVR anymore. I only have one from the dish to the input block and then one coax to each DVR. My second coax from the dish now is spare.

So then if that's the case, I could have one DIRECTV dish mounted, and then wire a single coax from dish to amp, and then from there out to each outlet, as I have my cable setup now. The only difference would be that instead of Charter's incoming line, I'd replace the incoming line with the satellite dish's coax.

Jack_in_VA
Premium Member
join:2007-11-26
North, VA

Jack_in_VA

Premium Member

Directv uses what they call SWM

Google this: Directv SWM to get an idea

cypherstream
MVM
join:2004-12-02
Reading, PA
·PenTeleData
ARRIS SB8200

cypherstream to XXXXXXXXXXX1

MVM

to XXXXXXXXXXX1
If you go DirecTV, check my profile, I have a link to the refer-a-friend program. You can get $10 off your monthly bill for signing up through my link.. or PM me for details.

You still want Internet so also see how much Charter's internet is by itself. Some cable providers have different packages and pricing for Internet and / or Phone if you don't also carry at least a basic level of their TV service.

There is the new Genie DVR that records 5 things at once and has picture in picture. You can hide the channels out of the guide you don't subscribe to, I know that's not a common thing with Cable.

It's worth considering, and if you want Video on Demand you need to opt for the CCK (Cinema Connection Kit) which is a small device with Ethernet on one side and coax on the other. It basically bridges your internet from your router onto the coax network so that the receivers can get out to the world and run TV Apps and VOD. The current software downloads VOD to the DVR's hard drive and then you play it from there. In the near future they are adding a "Watch Now" option that streams the VOD without having to "download" it and then go out to the DVR Playlist. With Multi-Room DVR you can access the DVR playlist anywhere.

Bottom line... compare channel lineups and pricing before making your decision. The sat guys live off of 2 year contracts so as much as an interest I have in you signing up with DirecTV so we both get $10 off (through refer-a-friend), I want you to make the best, most educated decision. Is HD a priority? Compare the HD Channel lineup between Dish, DirecTV and Charter very closely. They can be very different.