share rss forum feed

More Fiber
Premium,MVM
join:2005-09-26
West Chester, PA
kudos:32
reply to hscottm

Re: [FiOS Phone] FIOS Install but upstairs lines dead - NID prob

Is there any wire running from the NID to protector block?

If so, just connect that wire to the inside wire (IW) at the NID and at the protector block. The IW should not be connected to either the NID or the protector block.

If there is no wire running from the NID to the protector block you will have to run some. One other option is if there is a phone outlet that has pairs from both the protector block and the NID. You could connect the pairs together there.
--
There are 10 kinds of people in the world; those who understand binary and those who don't.

hscottm

join:2006-07-12
Pittsburgh, PA
said by More Fiber:

Is there any wire running from the NID to protector block?

If so, just connect that wire to the inside wire (IW) at the NID and at the protector block. The IW should not be connected to either the NID or the protector block.

If there is no wire running from the NID to the protector block you will have to run some. One other option is if there is a phone outlet that has pairs from both the protector block and the NID. You could connect the pairs together there.

thanks for reply.

other than being "cut" by the tech this morning, there is still a 4-wire running from the outside NID through the wall next to the block. I assume this used to feed the whole house inside.

which one is the inside wire (IW)? the one coming from the new Fios ONT?

hscottm

Pittsburgh, PA
btw, I finally found a photo of my protector block (very similar). its an old Western Electric model. does this change anything?

»www.ebay.com/itm/vintage-old-WES···2653051b

More Fiber
Premium,MVM
West Chester, PA
It's difficult to give to exact instructions since you haven't described the IW at the NID or the protector block.

Coming from the ONT to the NID, you should have a cat5 cable with the blue/white pair connected to your inside wire that goes to the downstairs phones.

You need to extend that connection using the 2 of the 4 wires running to the protector block. Connect the red and green wires from the 4 conductor cable inside the NID to the blue/white pair coming from the ONT along with the existing pair to the rest of the house.

At the protector block, you should connect the red and green wires coming from the NID to the IW that was formerly connected to the protector block.

As I said before, you should not have any connections to the NID or the protector block.

If this isn't clear, please post pics of the wiring in the NID and the wiring at the protector block.

If you're not comfortable with these instructions, then I suggest you get VZ back out to finish the job.
--
There are 10 kinds of people in the world; those who understand binary and those who don't.

hscottm

Pittsburgh, PA

1 edit
guys - thanks for help. I have things partially working but am having dial tone problems..

inside block photo is here (sorry its fuzzy but this is a confined space above a drop ceiling and its tough to get the phone to focus in the dark):

»s1.postimage.org/688grmmbz/photo.jpg

but my outside NID is locked so I cant comment on what it looks like in there.

photo notes:
my cat5 wire is coming up from bottom right of photo - its the white/blue and light blue wires. it goes from the ONT to the block, it does NOT go out to the NID.

I think I did what you recommended, and connected the wire coming from the NID directly to the protector block (its the one coming from the left, with yellow and black wrapped around and green/red also connected to the block).

the third wire coming in is for our alarm. it has white and orange connected (it also had red button splices that are since cut). this looks wrong to me, because I think my alarm has to be first in line (ie ONT wire should be spliced to this)

all of the inside house wire is attached at the top of the photo. all of those phones work and sound fine.

for the upstairs phones (through NID) I can get dial tone, but it has a fair bit of noise on it - kinda like a low frequency machine gun. less static during a call.

any suggestions on getting rid of the noise (I know other than calling vz which I will likely do regardless at this point).

oh, and I forgot to say several times above, thanks!

More Fiber
Premium,MVM
West Chester, PA
Sorry, I thought you said the connection from the NID was working and the connections from the protector block were not. Duh, I should have read the title of your post.

You're going to need access to the NID. It should not be locked. There are two sections to the NID. The customer portion should be secured by a simple screw, while the telco portion requires a special tool. You should be able to open the customer portion with a standard flat blade screwdriver.

There's a mess of wires coming off the top of that protector block. Do you know where they go?
--

hscottm

Pittsburgh, PA

1 edit
re: mess o'wires.. I cant tell you where each one of them goes, but these are the wires that go to phone drops on the first floor of the house and basement. some may actually be going up to the second floor, but they must be internal wires since all of the ones I know about upstairs come in from the outside (via the NID as I said above).

I just checked and my NID has a small padlock on the customer side.

is it just me or is the alarm now installed incorrectly too? I thought the special RJ connector it uses is "first in line"? looks like its just in parallel with everything else at the bottom of the block now.

More Fiber
Premium,MVM
West Chester, PA
Yes, your alarm is installed incorrectly.

Do you have an RJ31X jack? That silver cable looks like it might run directly to the alarm panel. The blue/white pair from the ONT should be connected to the telco side of the RJ31X jack. Everything else should be connected to the customer side of the RJ31X.

You have enough of a "mess" there (especially with the alarm) that you need to get VZ out to fix it properly.
--

hscottm

Pittsburgh, PA
thanks everyone for the support (and sorry for the convoluted story - I started worrying at work after I had already left home).

turns out the vz tech had called me yesterday to say she was on her way and I texted her and she came back this am.

everything seems to work fine now - although it seems our multi-base cordless handset system has extra noise on dial tone but ok during calls. I guess we need to get new ones.

last thing I am wondering - is there any reason I should want to swap out that ancient protection block?

again - thanks everyone for the support.