dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs
potato6
join:2012-12-13

1 recommendation

potato6

Re: My VoIP Service Provider Requirements - Recommendations?

Thanks for the replies.

PX Eliezer
voip.ms meets all those except outbound CNAM registration. I think you may be right, there probably are no byod voip providers that support outbound CNAM in the US.

If this is indeed the case, then I will probably stay with voip.ms as I already have everything set up. I'll just need to explain to some people that my CID will only show city and number - learn the damn number!

Mango
Thank you for the explanation on ping and jitter. I wasn't sure how low ping should be to allow for ample headroom. It seems my ping is less than 65ms to just about everywhere in N. America (even Canada) on both voip.ms and Anveo. With 25 pings to each PoP, there wasn't much deviation from the average time to any of them either (less than 7ms in all cases).

After reading your reply I am a little less worried about PoP location now ... I thought anything over 50ms might have been an issue (online FPS mentality, I guess).
nitzan
Premium Member
join:2008-02-27

nitzan

Premium Member

said by potato6:

voip.ms meets all those except outbound CNAM registration. I think you may be right, there probably are no byod voip providers that support outbound CNAM in the US.

We (Future Nine) do offer it - but only in NY/CA/PA/VA/WV/DE/MD. I don't think any other BYOD providers do but I'm not sure. VOIPo does support it I think, but they lack most of the other features you're asking for. I don't like mix-and-matching, but what you can do is get a number from VOIPo, configure outgoing CNAM on it, and forward it to Voip.MS, and on the Voip.MS side set your outgoing Caller ID to the VOIPo number. That way you can get all the features, at the cost of a little extra latency and a few more bucks. Note VOIPo is located in Texas so you'd want to use Voip.MS's Texas server for this.

Edit: VOIPo is just one example - you can do this with ANY provider that'll let you set outbound CNAM and forward your calls (preferably via SIP).
PX Eliezer704
Premium Member
join:2008-08-09
Hutt River

PX Eliezer704 to potato6

Premium Member

to potato6
said by potato6:

Voip.MS does offer it in [some] areas, as do Vitelity, FlowRoute, and FutureNine.

But as I said, if Voip.MS can't do it in your area, then others probably can't either.
said by potato6:

If this is indeed the case, then I will probably stay with voip.ms as I already have everything set up. I'll just need to explain to some people that my CID will only show city and number - learn the damn number!

Really, so many of your friends must be able to program your number into their phones or phone services, so your name will show up.

Or they should just learn the number!
said by potato6:

I'll just need to explain to some people that my CID will only show city and number - learn the damn number!

If your name happens to be Montgomery, Daphne, Florence, Chelsea, Helena, Madison, Dora, Jasper, or Troy, get a number from one of those areas, use that as outbound CID.

Then when you call your friends, the city name will actually be [your] name, so they will pick up the call....