Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

dabonz

join:2012-05-17
Ottawa, ON

Question On Bridging Cisco DPC3825 ?

Hello,

Question I have the Cisco DPC3825 Router Should I bridge that router ? and what kinda of Router should I Bridge it with ?

Also what benefits would I get if I bridged it ?

Thanks
dabonz

yyzlhr

join:2012-09-03
Scarborough, ON
kudos:4
If you feel that the router functionality of the DPC3825 is not adequate then put it in bridge mode and get your own router. If you're satisfied with the performance of the DPC3825 then leave it as is.

Hooter

join:2009-08-17
Scarborough, ON

1 edit
reply to dabonz
Two major complaints which explain why many bridge the modem are poor wireless range and dropped connections. If you are experiencing these problems, bridge mode and your own router should help. I saw this posted on another site with respect to routers:

»reviews.cnet.com/best-wireless-routers/

mozerd
Light Will Pierce The Darkness
Premium,MVM
join:2004-04-23
Nepean, ON
reply to dabonz
said by dabonz:

Question I have the Cisco DPC3825 Router Should I bridge that router ? and what kinda of Router should I Bridge it with ?

Also what benefits would I get if I bridged it ?

The router and wireless system built into the DPC3825 is very mediocre. As a DOCSIS 3.0 Cable modem the device delivers the speed and reliability needed. So I suggest BRIDGE mode is the preferred option to select.

For the wireless router to compliment the DPC3825 it all depends on the mix of devices that may want to connect to your network. If you environment have a mix of smartphones like the iPhone, Windows 8 smartphone, Android etc. plus tablets like the SURFACE or iPad etc. and also some laptops THEN I would suggest the Netgear R6300 --- however if your mix of wireless devices are far more modest THEN I suggest the Netgear WNDR4500.
--
David Mozer
IT-Expert on Call
Information Technology for Home and Business