pclover

join:2008-08-02
Santa Cruz, CA
Reviews:
·Comcast

3 edits

[Rant] Comcast will not upgrade areas unless there is competitio

EDIT:

People were confused to I'll make it clear. There is D3 in my area. I have a D3 modem and D3 CMTS but 16 Mbps is the fastest speed tier in my area. I have no idea why.

Here is an image proving I have DOCIS 3

EDIT End

Comcast will not upgrade areas unless there is competition. I have ranted about this before but now I'm fed up.

Why should I be forced to pay $50/month for 16 Mbps of service while other people get faster for the same price in other areas.

BTW my area has a Arris C4 CMTS and at my neighborhood node there is 6 DS channels and 3 UP So what is the hang up still? Comcast isn't going to sh*t to my area unless they have to.

I do download large files 8-16 GB and it sucks at 16 Mbps. One prime example is steam games.

If I had another option I would drop Comcast so fast it wouldn't even be funny. I hope google fiber does deploy quickly to other areas but this is a dream. A dream that I will have google fiber.

AT&T U-verse Please come to my area to force Comcast to upgrade!

Darknessfall
Premium
join:2012-08-17
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Comcast
·AT&T U-Verse

Re: [Rant] Comcast will not upgrade areas unless there is compet

said by pclover:

AT&T U-verse Please come to my area to force Comcast to upgrade!

That won't do anything, trust me. Only reason our state with AT&T is getting all of these speed upgrades is because of how FiOS is nearby .

idontgetit

@comcast.net
reply to pclover

What do you mean? What upgrade are you waiting for? You're in a D3 market with D3 speeds, as evidenced by your channel bonding, so it was "upgraded". Want more speed then pay for it.

Speeds available to you are 3, 6, 15, 25, 50 and 105, pick one.

If your idea of "upgrade" is something for nothing, like what happened in the northeast then you're right, not gonna happen right away. Even without competition, it'll eventually happen.

NetFixer
Snarl For The Camera Please
Premium
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage

1 edit
reply to pclover

EDIT:
NM, I just looked at your posting history, and now I know what you are ranting about. Just a hint, when you post a public rant it is helpful if you make it clear what you are ranting about. Not everyone is going to research your posting history to find out.
--
We can never have enough of nature.
We need to witness our own limits transgressed, and some life pasturing freely where we never wander.

fonzbear2000
Premium
join:2005-08-09
Saint Paul, MN
reply to pclover

Just start a large download and let it go while you're at work or sleeping or in the background while you're doing other things. Is there really that much of a hurry to get a game?
--
»A pretty good alernative to bit torrent and newsgroups

pclover

join:2008-08-02
Santa Cruz, CA
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to idontgetit

said by idontgetit :

What do you mean? What upgrade are you waiting for? You're in a D3 market with D3 speeds, as evidenced by your channel bonding, so it was "upgraded". Want more speed then pay for it.

Speeds available to you are 3, 6, 15, 25, 50 and 105, pick one.

If your idea of "upgrade" is something for nothing, like what happened in the northeast then you're right, not gonna happen right away. Even without competition, it'll eventually happen.

Yes, D3 exists here but they are not offering any speed upgrades. I asked Comcast Steve and comcast and they all say 16 Mbps is the fastest offered in my area. Steve said D2 speed tiers are the only ones in my area. Comcast Cares basically said they don't want to spend the money in my area to upgrade but the question remains what upgrades now?

My friend in New Jersey gets 53 Mbps with only 4 DS channels.

IowaCowboy
Iowa native
Premium
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA
Reviews:
·Verizon Broadban..
·Comcast
reply to pclover

If your area is rural, then there might be issues with the link between the headend and the rest of the Internet so there would be bottlenecks if they went with a faster speed. While the cable plant itself could handle the faster speeds, a network is only as good as its weakest link and if the network backbone cannot handle the faster speeds, then they have to throttle their connections to prevent bottlenecks. I have the extreme 105 but I am going back to 50/10 (due to cost, not worth the $40 up charge with my triple play) when I get my new bundle with the whole house DVR installed.

As for competition, we have Verizon DSL here but at 3 Mbps, I'll take Comcast any day. I really wish we had FiOS but that is currently a pipe dream.

I have never been to California so I am not familiar with that area but I have lived in Iowa (rural) and my mother's native state of Massachusetts (urban).

medbuyer

join:2003-11-20
kudos:4
reply to pclover

said by pclover:

Comcast will not upgrade areas unless there is competition. I have ranted about this before but now I'm fed up.

Why should I be forced to pay $50/month for 16 Mbps of service while other people get faster for the same price in other areas.

Some people doesn't even have decent internet connection to begin with...

so for you to rant not getting more speeds just so you can game a little faster is quite annoying...

I am sure people would gladly pay your $50 bill for the 16/2 connection if they were in your shoes. If you're really fed up, you can either move to another ISP or move to another place which can provide you with a better connection and hopefully not too much high of a rent...

and forget about ATT Uverse...you'd be pulling your hair for the issues it might or can bring you...

KevTech
Premium
join:2002-08-22
Seattle, WA
reply to pclover

The upstream in the pic shows DOCSIS 2 and DOCSIS 1.

What exact modem is this?

ctggzg
Premium
join:2005-02-11
USA
kudos:2
reply to pclover

Supply and demand. Just like every other company in the universe, their primary goal is profit. I don't see any reason they should provide better service if they won't get more money from it.

EG
The wings of love
Premium
join:2006-11-18
Union, NJ
kudos:9
reply to KevTech

said by KevTech:

The upstream in the pic shows DOCSIS 2 and DOCSIS 1.

What exact modem is this?

That's just the individual channel types being used for the return. If there are multiple bonded channels present as there are, then the overall system is indeed DOCSIS 3.