A Ninja Ant
Premium,VIP
join:2001-03-25
United State
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

By 2014, the Internet will be the death of us all

»www.infoworld.com/t/cringely/201···l-209395 from »www.hardocp.com/news/2012/12/18/···_us_all/ ...

"Enjoy 2012 and 2013 while you can; a security firm says the Internet will soon put us all at risk of an untimely end..."
--
Ant @ AQFL.net and AntFarm.ma.cx. Please do not IM/e-mail me for technical support. Use this forum or better, »community.norton.com ! Disclaimer: The views expressed in this posting are mine, and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
join:2000-08-06
Galt's Gulch
kudos:3

2 recommendations

I thought the world was going to end Friday. I guess now I'll have more time to sell off all my stuff
--
Don't feed trolls--it only makes them grow!

Blackbird
Built for Speed
Premium
join:2005-01-14
Fort Wayne, IN
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..

2 recommendations

reply to antdude
said by antdude:

..."Enjoy 2012 and 2013 while you can; a security firm says the Internet will soon put us all at risk of an untimely end..."

Makes sense. I just bought a 2-year desk calendar for 2013 and 2014. Since that calendar ends in 2014, legend has it that the world will (again) end at the end of that year. After all, there's no better predictor of the world's end than the end of a calendar...
--
“The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money.” A. de Tocqueville

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
Galt's Gulch

1 recommendation

Well maybe the world has already ended but us stubborn non-believers haven't accepted it yet. On the other hand if the world had ended I'm pretty sure I wouldn't still be getting bills.
--

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
kudos:12
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
said by StuartMW:

Well maybe the world has already ended ...

If the world has already ended, why are there still churches?
--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum

SipSizzurp
Fo' Shizzle
Premium
join:2005-12-28
Houston, TX
kudos:4
said by NormanS:

If the world has already ended, why are there still churches?

B'kuz they were not "of this world" in the first place.

Juggernaut
Irreverent or irrelevant?
Premium
join:2006-09-05
Kelowna, BC
kudos:2
reply to NormanS
Parallel Universes. Reference »en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Number···novel%29

wxboss
This is like Deja vu all over again.
Premium
join:2005-01-30
Fort Lauderdale, FL
reply to antdude
said by antdude:

»www.infoworld.com/t/cringely/201···l-209395 from »www.hardocp.com/news/2012/12/18/···_us_all/ ...

"Enjoy 2012 and 2013 while you can; a security firm says the Internet will soon put us all at risk of an untimely end..."

I enjoy modern day prophets, but I'm more allied to the old Irishman who said he preferred to prophesy "after the fact."
--
"I do not believe in a fate that falls on men however they act; but I do believe in a fate that falls on them unless they act." --- G. K. Chesterton

Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ
kudos:1

2 recommendations

reply to antdude
death because of the internet? What did Google just found their new division? Cyberdyne Systems?

In 2014 Google became self aware...... In an action decided by its original programming the system decided to index everything, including all life forms...
--
[65 Arcanist]Filan(High Elf) Zone: Broadband Reports

Dude111
An Awesome Dude
Premium
join:2003-08-04
USA
kudos:13
reply to antdude

Yes those ppl who EXPOSE EVERYTHING ABOUT THEMSELVES,yes i reckon it will!!!!!!

goalieskates
Premium
join:2004-09-12
land of big

1 recommendation

reply to antdude

Re: By 2014, the Internet will be the death of us all

Despite the breathless title, the basic premise is sound enough:

said by from the linked article :
To be fair, I've spoken with a number of security folks about the possibility of medical devices being turned against us, and they agree it is entirely possible.
I'm pretty sure we've already hashed over the needless internet connectivity of various devices. And certainly medical devices being connected (thanks to the push for electronic medical records, etc.) could be subject to attack.

said by also from the article :
Then again, such devices have always been vulnerable to some kind of attack, says futurist Anders Sandberg, a research fellow at Oxford University's Future of Humanity Institute.

"In the good old days, the people who made these devices were just happy that they worked," he says. "They didn't think about security. The old pacemakers could be controlled by putting a magnet on someone's chest and twisting it."

The question, he says, is who would want to?
Sadly, the question itself is naive. Start with tech kiddies who do it just because they can, and move on down the food chain.

Boricua
Premium
join:2002-01-26
Sacramuerto

1 recommendation

reply to StuartMW
said by StuartMW:

I thought the world was going to end Friday. I guess now I'll have more time to sell off all my stuff

I got a good laugh out of that article. I hate to be that person when he wakes up on Saturday morning and realized what he's done. Hopefully, as people in that area are prone to do, he doesn't commit suicide .
--
Illegal aliens have always been a problem in the United States. Ask any Indian. Robert Orben

DelmarPip
Premium
join:2011-10-15
Brownsville, TX
reply to antdude
i heard it will end only for people that have facebook

george357
Premium
join:2009-09-18
Weaverville, NC
Reviews:
·Charter
reply to Kearnstd
said by Kearnstd:

death because of the internet? What did Google just found their new division? Cyberdyne Systems?

In 2014 Google became self aware...... In an action decided by its original programming the system decided to index everything, including all life forms...

^^LOL.....perfect!
--
malo periculosam libertatem quam quietum servitium

Cancer Cures Are Just A Crunch Away

DrModem
Trust Your Doctor
Premium
join:2006-10-19
USA
reply to goalieskates
said by goalieskates:

Despite the breathless title, the basic premise is sound enough:

said by from the linked article :
To be fair, I've spoken with a number of security folks about the possibility of medical devices being turned against us, and they agree it is entirely possible.
I'm pretty sure we've already hashed over the needless internet connectivity of various devices. And certainly medical devices being connected (thanks to the push for electronic medical records, etc.) could be subject to attack.

said by also from the article :
Then again, such devices have always been vulnerable to some kind of attack, says futurist Anders Sandberg, a research fellow at Oxford University's Future of Humanity Institute.

"In the good old days, the people who made these devices were just happy that they worked," he says. "They didn't think about security. The old pacemakers could be controlled by putting a magnet on someone's chest and twisting it."

The question, he says, is who would want to?
Sadly, the question itself is naive. Start with tech kiddies who do it just because they can, and move on down the food chain.

If people start dying, Internet connected medical devices hat can kill you will probably be short lived...

Public outcry and all.

Chris 313
Come get some
Premium
join:2004-07-18
Houma, LA
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·Vonage
·Comcast
·Comcast Digital ..
reply to StuartMW
said by StuartMW:

I dunno what is worse, that or this: »www.gulfwatch.org/index.php/trea···ers_stud

Either way, they're in the shit now, eh? Better hope the world does end, eh?

I subscribe to the idea that the world will change as we know it. But doomsday, whole world ending, nah.

KodiacZiller
Premium
join:2008-09-04
reply to Juggernaut
said by Juggernaut:

Parallel Universes. Reference »en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Number···novel%29

Parallel Universes are pretty interesting. Many physicists now think there are an infinite number of universes, and if something is infinite, it means that everything must exist an infinite number of times. And since this is true, all of us humans have literally an infinite number of clones in other universes who live different lives than us.

This means that in at least one Universe, Dude111 is a member of the Illuminatti and plans on taking over the world. Scary thought.
--
Getting people to stop using windows is more or less the same as trying to get people to stop smoking tobacco products. They dont want to change; they are happy with slowly dying inside. -- munky99999

Juggernaut
Irreverent or irrelevant?
Premium
join:2006-09-05
Kelowna, BC
That's pretty much what Heinlein was getting at in that book. 6 to the 6th to the 6th Universes, basically all co-existing on a vertical timeline. I could barely stand to put the book down!
--
"I fear the day that technology will surpass our human interaction. The world will have a generation of idiots." ~ Albert Einstein

TheMG
Premium
join:2007-09-04
Canada
Reviews:
·NorthWest Tel
reply to antdude
I can definitely agree with the fact that too many devices are being connected to the internet or some type of network.

Most of it is in the name of convenience, but that comes at a price, as it opens up the device to the possibility of being remotely exploited.

It seems like it's only a matter of time before everything with a power plug becomes connected to some type of network.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
kudos:12
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
said by TheMG:

It seems like it's only a matter of time before everything with a power plug becomes connected to some type of network.

Isn't the electric grid a network already?
--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum

SipSizzurp
Fo' Shizzle
Premium
join:2005-12-28
Houston, TX
kudos:4
said by NormanS:

No, it is a distribution system. Big difference.

TheMG
Premium
join:2007-09-04
Canada
Reviews:
·NorthWest Tel
reply to NormanS
said by NormanS:

said by TheMG:

That depends on which definition of "network" you go by.

For the purposes of this discussion, let's say that a "network" consists of interconnected devices exchanging data via the "network".

antdude
A Ninja Ant
Premium,VIP
United State
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
reply to StuartMW
said by StuartMW:

We're still alive. :P
--
Ant @ AQFL.net and AntFarm.ma.cx. Please do not IM/e-mail me for technical support. Use this forum or better, »community.norton.com ! Disclaimer: The views expressed in this posting are mine, and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
Galt's Gulch
said by antdude:

That can be rectified if you so wish
--

antdude
A Ninja Ant
Premium,VIP
United State
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
said by StuartMW:

said by antdude:

That can be rectified if you so wish