spc
Search similar:

uniqs

mattrixx
join:2004-02-18
Orland Park, IL

mattrixx

HDMI does not fill 22" screen

I`m a bit confused as to why changing from an DVI cable to an HDMI cable causes my Asus VH226 22" LCD Monitor NOT to entirely fill the screen.
There is 1/2 inch top/bottom and left/right that are left blank. This screen is entirely filled at same resolution with original DVI cable.
Using a max resolution of 1920X1080 and ATI Radeon HD 5700 Series discrete video card. The only difference is using a no-name "High Speed HDMI Cable with Ethernet" vrs Asus DVI cable.
Chrno
join:2003-12-11

Chrno

Overscan, or the lack of on your monitor is what's causing the problem. HDMI wasn't meant to be used on computer monitors. If you aren't having any issues with the DVI cable why change it?

mattrixx
Orland Park, IL

mattrixx

I`m actually preparing for a new Christmas build (Asus Sabertooth Z77) which will occupy the same spot and Monitor.
The new MB with Ivy Bridge Processor will have only Display Port and HDMI outputs, NO DVI. I may now have to consider a discrete Video card with DVI output instead of utilizing Ivy Bridge integrated graphics.

As for overscan of my Monitor being the problem, why do I not have this issue with a DVI connection?

Thanks
NoHereNoMo
join:2012-12-06

NoHereNoMo

You might find some useful info here:
»www.overclock.net/t/9476 ··· -borders

Gordo74
Premium Member
join:2003-10-28
Pittsburgh, PA

Gordo74 to mattrixx

Premium Member

to mattrixx
Within the drivers, you can normally change the overscan to get it to full screen.
Coolbrz
join:2002-12-16
Kane, PA

Coolbrz to mattrixx

to mattrixx
I had to change the scan with the computer i connected to my tv with hdmi.

In that Catalyst center, under My Digital Flat Panel options, Scaling options.

djrobx
Premium Member
join:2000-05-31
Reno, NV

djrobx to mattrixx

Premium Member

to mattrixx
If you connect through HDMI, you gain the ability to send audio. That means the PC gets different EDID data that includes the audio properties. The video driver may respond with different default settings. As others have mentioned, you should be able to correct it in the Catalyst Control Center.

mattrixx
Orland Park, IL

mattrixx

Thanks guys that was the solution!

I initially tried doing the "scaling" in CCC, but apparently the version I had did NOT include any such option. I updated my Catalyst driver package to the latest available for my older card,
and afterwards, there it was under "My Digital Flat Panel"! I overscan scaled it to 0% and all is well.

I assume I will not have this issue with my "new" build using Ivy Bridge Integrated Graphics and Intel drivers?