uniqs

Gone
Premium Member
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON

Gone to Guspaz

Premium Member

to Guspaz

Re: Airlines now MUST use "all-in-one" pricing.

said by Guspaz:

We've already had everything in this new law in Quebec for quite some time, so all the airlines were already using all-in pricing. I don't see how this new law will change anything since they're already doing it.

There's more to Canada than just Quebec.

Not only that, airlines are federally regulated so I don't see how Quebec would have been able to do anything anyway.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in

elwoodblues

Premium Member

said by Gone:

said by Guspaz:

We've already had everything in this new law in Quebec for quite some time, so all the airlines were already using all-in pricing. I don't see how this new law will change anything since they're already doing it.

Not only that, airlines are federally regulated so I don't see how Quebec would have been able to do anything anyway.

Advertising is a provincial matter.

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

1 edit

Gone

Premium Member

said by elwoodblues:

Advertising is a provincial matter.

Employment standards are a provincial matter too, except in businesses subject to federal regulation. This is why I am not so sure it would be as cut and dry to claim a province could do that - for airlines, anyway.

Edit - after all, if it was a provincial matter how could the feds involve themselves in this now anyway?

Guspaz
Guspaz
MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC

Guspaz to Gone

MVM

to Gone
said by Gone:

Air Canada is a Quebec company. They have to adhere to Quebec law. And because of the regulations in Quebec, Air Canada is already advertising all-in prices, as are Porter and WestJet (perhaps for unrelated reasons).

So my point is, all the airlines are ALREADY advertising all-in prices, so this new federal legislation requiring them to do so doesn't change anything. They're requiring something that they're already doing, and something that they're already required to do by provincial law anyhow. And since the largest airline in the country is based in Quebec, they have to adhere to Quebec law.

dirtyjeffer0
Posers don't use avatars.
Premium Member
join:2002-02-21
London, ON

dirtyjeffer0

Premium Member

that is great if you live in Quebec, but that isn't how things have been done for the rest of the country...now, the law applies nationally, which is a good thing.

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone to Guspaz

Premium Member

to Guspaz
said by Guspaz:

Air Canada is a Quebec company. They have to adhere to Quebec law.

Wrong. They're not a "Quebec company" rather they are a "Canadian company." They are incorporated federally and their regulation is the exclusive realm of the federal government, something enshrined so deeply that it exists at a constitutional level. The location of their headquarters is completely irrelevant.

Airlines may very well be bound by Quebec law with regards to advertising regulations. On other matters - most specifically employment standards are the ones that jump to my mind - Quebec has zero say and can't make AC or any other airline do anything the feds don't require them to do.

Steve
I know your IP address

join:2001-03-10
Tustin, CA

Steve

said by Gone:

On other matters - most specifically employment standards are the ones that jump to my mind - Quebec has zero say and can't make AC or any other airline do anything the feds don't require them to do.

How about the use of English?

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

said by Steve:

How about the use of English?

Both, not one or the other.
NCRGuy
join:2008-03-03
Ottawa, ON

NCRGuy to Guspaz

to Guspaz
said by Guspaz:

said by Gone:

Air Canada is a Quebec company. They have to adhere to Quebec law. And because of the regulations in Quebec, Air Canada is already advertising all-in prices, as are Porter and WestJet (perhaps for unrelated reasons).

So my point is, all the airlines are ALREADY advertising all-in prices, so this new federal legislation requiring them to do so doesn't change anything. They're requiring something that they're already doing, and something that they're already required to do by provincial law anyhow. And since the largest airline in the country is based in Quebec, they have to adhere to Quebec law.

Actually, these new regulations are the reason all airlines are ALREADY advertising all-in pricing. They knew this was coming, and started complying. The regulations now make it official, and will prevent airlines from changing their minds.

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

said by NCRGuy:

Actually, these new regulations are the reason all airlines are ALREADY advertising all-in pricing. They knew this was coming, and started complying. The regulations now make it official, and will prevent airlines from changing their minds.

So, in other words, Quebec's own advertising-related laws have no force on a federally-regulated airline. Gotcha. Just as I suspected.
NCRGuy
join:2008-03-03
Ottawa, ON

NCRGuy

said by Gone:

said by NCRGuy:

So, in other words, Quebec's own advertising-related laws have no force on a federally-regulated airline. Gotcha. Just as I suspected.

Oh no, they do. But it only applied to advertising in Quebec. Now it applies nation-wide.

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

Gotcha. Like I said, I wasn't entirely sure on that matter, since there is other provincial legislation that they are specifically exempt from and instead have their own federal counterpart.