spc
uniqs

IanBarnes
SofSwitch
join:2012-12-13
North Americ

IanBarnes to MartinM

to MartinM

Re: [Voip.ms] Survey / Feedback on restructuring Geo Locations.

Martin,

I would agree that fewer "Super Pops" would be a good idea. I would definitely add one more server location in Vancouver and change New York to Chicago.

I think these would be the best locations for attaining a nice North American latency balance.

Dallas
Montreal
Chicago
Los Angeles
Vancouver
PX Eliezer704
Premium Member
join:2008-08-09
Hutt River

PX Eliezer704

Premium Member

Gee, the second person who thinks that the whole US East Coast is not spongeworthy.

Don't get me wrong, I believe that one POP for the US and one POP for Canada would be fine.

But [IF] there are going to be 4-6 POPs then it is insane to not have one serving the East....

Dallas
Montreal
Chicago
Los Angeles
Vancouver

Where would people in Miami look to? Or people in Atlanta? Or in Washington? Or New York?

The New York metro area alone has 19 million people. In other words, more than half the population of the whole country of Canada.
»factfinder2.census.gov/f ··· pe=table

Really, now.

IanBarnes
SofSwitch
join:2012-12-13
North Americ

IanBarnes

It's not relevant how many people live in certain area because if these are "Super Pops", then each one will need to handle a large amount of connections, while giving decent latency to all corners of North America. It has to be a balance all the way around. Many times it depends on what ISP is being used and what backbone providers the ISP is using.

These cities would be fine.....

New York uses Chicago POP (5 hops 20ms)
New York uses Dallas POP (8 hops 44ms)
Washington uses Chicago POP (6 hops 24ms)
Washington uses Dallas POP (8 hops 32ms)
Miami uses Chicago (9 hops 32ms)
Miami uses Dallas (9 hops 28ms)
Atlanta uses Chicago (8 hops 24ms)
Atlanta uses Dallas (8 hops 20ms)

Oh, and I do think you're spongeworthy