share rss forum feed

me

join:2002-12-08
Iapetus
reply to me

Re: RAID 0 and restore image

I decided to connect the drives to the gsata slots with the
Marvell 88SE9172 SATA Controllers

Despite what they say, the z77 does need drivers or something because windows 7 went through the install process and said there was hardware problem and could not complete the install.

I read somewhere that someone was able to set a portion of the drive space with stripe size 64k for windows 7 (windows 7 prefers this) and was able to set the rest of the drive space to 127kb stripe size (best for video and large files)

How is this possible?

norwegian
Premium
join:2005-02-15
Outback
First, stay off the Marvell and use the Intel sata ports.

Rev 1.0 motherboard:
»www.gigabyte.com.au/products/pro···=4144#dl
Rev 1.1 motherboard:
»www.gigabyte.com.au/products/pro···=4325#dl

Make sure you use the correct link for your motherboard.
1. Setup in bios the raid and size, select AHCI.
On that difference in size, there maybe 2 partitions - I've not played with that idea of 2 stripe sizes, someone else may want to chime in.

2. For RAID:
You need the Intel SATA Preinstall driver (For AHCI / RAID Mode)
For Win 7 - you extract the files and then copy to a standard formatted usb or cd on a separate computer.
Just copy all files, not the folder:
iaahcic.cat
iaAHCIC.inf
iaStorA.sys
iastorac.cat
iaStorAC.inf
iaStorF.sys
The point you load them is as per this guide, see image 1.9, Load Driver option at the bottom left of the screen.
It will list the drivers - now I'm not sure for Intel, but for me, I need to select this option twice to install both drivers;
Someone who uses Intel maybe able to clarify, but looking at the extracted files, you also have 2 drivers
iaStorF.sys
iaStorA.sys
Both will not load at once, you do 1 then go back and do the other via the same method.

Then just continue on with the install of Windows and let it process as per a normal install.

3. HDD STORAGE
The Intel® Rapid Storage Technology driver is all that Win7 might have already, but it wouldn't hurt to download the latest off the site.
This is for when you are in Windows, some install them and some don't. I do not believe in the Windows 7 has the drivers already. The z77 chipset was not around when Win 7 came out.
It might have a basic version that will run, but the latest drivers for the newest motherboards and chipsets are there for a reason.
Some do and some don't. Let it run without them create a back up and run a HDD benchmark. Then install the drivers and then back up, then do the HDD benchmark again to see if they work for you or not.

--
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing - Edmund Burke