spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

DSLextreSCAM

@comcast.net

[DSL] Beware of DSLExtreme return modem SCAM

After years of disappointing service speeds with DSL Extreme, I cancelled after doing all my homework. I read about the scam they ran on requiring you to return a modem of several years old, or pay their $99.90 modem fee. I learned from others that you must send it with a Signature Confirmation Receipt to protect yourself.

I was a good customer of theirs, always paid on time for years. I'm glad I learned about their scam in advance and had the Signature Confirmation Receipt. I never expected to find out that a third party collection agency Affiliate Credit Service in Minnesota at 1-800-264-2439 would make their first call to me after 3.5 months, now demanding payment for never having received it.

I have my confirmation number and you should, too, if you ever leave them

dslx_nick
Premium,VIP
join:2011-12-24
Chatsworth, CA
kudos:29
I'm sorry you seem to think this is a scam, but I assure you such is not the case. If you cancel over the phone, our representatives make a point of reminding you to return the modem within 30 days of the cancellation date. When you cancel, we send you an email confirming the cancellation order which includes clear instructions to return the modem, including a bolded sentence listing the RMA number you should include on the shipping label or package to ensure proper tracking, and a statement explicitly recommending getting a tracking code to verify that the shipment was received.

The vast majority of our customers that return modems to us do so with no problem, but for the rare few where something goes wrong (shipment doesn't arrive, no or wrong RMA number is included, someone screws up and files the return under the wrong account, whatever), the tracking code helps handle any confusion or dispute. That's why, even though it's superfluous most of the time, we always recommend getting the tracking code.

So yes, if a customer decides to leave and they have a modem from us, they definitely should get the confirmation number.

DSLextreSCAM

@comcast.net
OK, perhaps SCAM is not the word you like, but the facts are that I found on the Internet warnings from many others that this may happen. I did everything to the letter as directed. I received confirmation of your receipt of the modem.

Then nothing happened further for 3.5 months. No email asking me to return it, no phone call that there would be a charge, no notice of a collection agency being put on me.

But if your return department was as dedicated as you are to taking care of PR comments quickly, this probably wouldn't have ended here!

modem

@dslextreme.com
reply to DSLextreSCAM
I don't think it's a scam when we agree to the terms. But IMO $100 is too much of a fee when brand name modems are around fifty bucks.

I'm curious what do you do when a company mistakenly sends your account to collections and ruins your credit? How does that get fixed?

DSLextreSCAM

@comcast.net
IMO, the scam is exactly what you cite. You must pay for postage, packaging and signature tracking (plus your time) for a 4 year old, obsolete modem that will never be used by anyone again.

There is no way to fix your credit (except by paying them off) unless you have proof that it is their mistake.

So much for the honor system after all those years with no compensation for any problems on their service issues...

zbestwun2001

join:2005-12-08
Van Nuys, CA
said by DSLextreSCAM :

IMO, the scam is exactly what you cite. You must pay for postage, packaging and signature tracking (plus your time) for a 4 year old, obsolete modem that will never be used by anyone again.

There is no way to fix your credit (except by paying them off) unless you have proof that it is their mistake.

So much for the honor system after all those years with no compensation for any problems on their service issues...

You signed the contract... you knew what you were signing. It's in Black and White.... there is no scamming going on here by DSLX

billydunwood

join:2008-04-23
united state
kudos:2
said by zbestwun2001:

said by DSLextreSCAM :

You signed the contract... you knew what you were signing. It's in Black and White.... there is no scamming going on here by DSLX

Well, he said he has proof that the modem was returned, and that they also did not contact him in any way in 3.5 months about the modem. The only contact he got was a Collection Agency after 3.5 months. If a company doesnt receive a modem, 1. I dont think they would wait 3.5 months. 2. I think they would have coresepondance with him during that time.
--
No Victim=No Crime

VirtualLarry
Premium
join:2003-08-01
Reviews:
·DSL EXTREME
reply to DSLextreSCAM
They had better not ask me to return a modem to them, since when I signed up, I didn't pay for a modem to be shipped. I supplied my own.

This is the second thread in which "a good customer of several years" has found out something bad, not from dslx, but a collections agency.

It does make me concerned.

modem

@dslextreme.com
It makes me concerned too. Not just with DSLX but any company in general. As I inquired previously, what do you do when this happens? Does the company who made the mistake do something so the issue get removed from your credit report or does it remain for 10 years?

clos000

join:2012-12-31
reply to DSLextreSCAM
I cancelled last Friday 12/28/12 so I hope I don't have the same problem. I have been with Dslextreme for almost 8 years. I was googling the return address to send the modem and I came upon this thread. I still have yet to receive instructions on how to return the modem but I assume it's the weekend. I will keep in mind to have the Signature confirmation receipt and to also email DSLextreme to check that they received the ADSL modem.

clos000

join:2012-12-31
reply to DSLextreSCAM
Just got email confirmation that DSLExtreme got my modem from the USPS and DSLExtreme themselves. So hopefully there won't be any problems in 3 months. I will keep the signature confirmation receipt just in case though.
Expand your moderator at work

upset too

@rr.com
reply to DSLextreSCAM

Re: [DSL] Beware of DSLExtreme return modem SCAM

We too are a target of this "scam". DSL Extreme didn't even send a letter or e-mail to us. They simply turned it over to Affiliated Group (a collections company). We have a USPS receipt w/ date, their city and zip and even the weight of the package BUT no tracking number! Our bad! We're disputing w/ the collection agency. I was told by the rep at Affiliated that the file "sits" at their company and is NOT reported to a credit agency. It seems like employees at DSL Extreme in Chatsworth must target any return with no tracking number knowing they can just "bag" the modem. We are making a formal complain to the BBB.

dslx_nick
Premium,VIP
Chatsworth, CA

1 edit
*sigh*. No. I already explained this in my post at the top of this thread. We're not trying to scam anyone, there's no 'conspiracy' going on to 'target' anyone, tracking number or no. It's a small percentage of returns, but we do run into instances where packages fail to be delivered correctly or get misfiled - that's why we always send our modems out via UPS rather than USPS, why we always recommend getting a tracking number, and why we always advise putting the RMA number on the package. If you don't have any tracking number, did you put the RMA number on the outside, at least? If you did and you provide me with the RMA number, I can go check with the shipping department and see if maybe we did receive it but it was misfiled accidentally.

customer

@dslextreme.com
reply to DSLextreSCAM
When I had to exchange modems last year, DSL Extreme emailed me a UPS label that included the RMA and tracking number. I stuck that label on the package, dropped it off at a UPS store, and a few days later received a notification that they received it. It was very easy, no problems. If modem returns are different and need to mail on your own, it's always important to put the RMA # and get a tracking #. Every business operates like that, just follow their directions. It's not a scam.

billydunwood

united state
reply to dslx_nick
said by dslx_nick:

*sigh*. No. I already explained this in my post at the top of this thread. We're not trying to scam anyone, there's no 'conspiracy' going on to 'target' anyone, tracking number or no. It's a small percentage of returns, but we do run into instances where packages fail to be delivered correctly or get misfiled - that's why we always send our modems out via UPS rather than USPS, why we always recommend getting a tracking number, and why we always advise putting the RMA number on the package. If you don't have any tracking number, did you put the RMA number on the outside, at least? If you did and you provide me with the RMA number, I can go check with the shipping department and see if maybe we did receive it but it was misfiled accidentally.

Personally, although I have never been with DSLExtreme, I know you are not scamming anyone, intentionally or not. However, if a modem is "undelivered" or doesnt get to you, like the 2 people above, why won't DSLExtreme email or call the customer rather than giving it to a collection agency? The 2 people above state they sent it in, received no communication from DSLExtreme whatsoever, and then received a collection agency.
--
No Victim=No Crime

dslx_gm
Premium,VIP
join:2002-12-26
Chatsworth, CA
kudos:17
said by billydunwood:

Personally, although I have never been with DSLExtreme, I know you are not scamming anyone, intentionally or not. However, if a modem is "undelivered" or doesnt get to you, like the 2 people above, why won't DSLExtreme email or call the customer rather than giving it to a collection agency? The 2 people above state they sent it in, received no communication from DSLExtreme whatsoever, and then received a collection agency.

I am nearly 100% confident that this is in place already but I will double check. Additionally they should have received a final bill in the mail. There are several touch points including on the order form, in the cancellation emails that remind people as well.
--
George
General Manager
DSL Extreme
Will work for reviews.

billydunwood

united state
said by dslx_gm:

said by billydunwood:

I am nearly 100% confident that this is in place already but I will double check. Additionally they should have received a final bill in the mail. There are several touch points including on the order form, in the cancellation emails that remind people as well.

Perfect. I know you guys aren't scamming anyone.
--
No Victim=No Crime

WE SO SUFFER

join:2011-06-19
Reviews:
·DSL EXTREME
reply to DSLextreSCAM
I feel your pain, OP. I was with them for years under my name and then my sister's name. They never went to bat for us when we had many technical problems for months, and then they tried to rip us off for the 250 ETF when the problems were NOT our fault
I was not going to abide by that.
you need to FIGHT dishonest money hungry companies like this DSL Extreme who do NOT care one lick about the customers.
They are owned by IKANO Comm., a skeazy scammy company if ever there was one. DSLE once was decent, many years ago, but that time is long past now. Avoid them like the plague! Spread the word. We are not alone. How many old ladies with DSL problems know to come here for help? This is an independent site, and the only one you can MAYBE get helped on, after holding their feet to the fire publicly! And still, you see the attitude in their replies, it is disgusting.
They treat you like they are doing you a favor every step of the way, like a nuisance. I am SO much happier being with Verizon directly versus dealing with this worthless middleman that just resells bandwidth to you, and then hopes you go away and leave them alone. And then sends people to collections, just unbelievable. How have they not been sued out of business by now? They do this to many people, take a look online at some other sites! (Yelp is just one)
I am saddened that dishonest companies are allowed to stomp all over the little guy in today's society. With time, this will be changed..

dslx_gm
Premium,VIP
join:2002-12-26
Chatsworth, CA
kudos:17

1 recommendation

reply to billydunwood
said by billydunwood:

Perfect. I know you guys aren't scamming anyone.

Definitely not, I haven't seen a company that openly responds to customers on public forums that is.

We are just trying to recover our hardware. Our free modem lease model in which we warranty the modem for the life that the customer has service with us wouldn't work if we didn't.

Unfortunately sometimes hardware gets returned without an RMA number or any identifiable information of who the customer. We see modems that come from "the UPS or FedEx store" with the store address and no customer info so we can't identify the customer. Our notices state to be sure to include the RMA/Account number on the package so we know who they are coming from. Additionally packages can get lost in transit. That is why we always recommend getting a tracking number.
--
George
General Manager
DSL Extreme
Will work for reviews.

dslx_nick
Premium,VIP
Chatsworth, CA

1 recommendation

reply to WE SO SUFFER
quote:
I feel your pain, OP. I was with them for years under my name and then my sister's name. They never went to bat for us when we had many technical problems for months, and then they tried to rip us off for the 250 ETF when the problems were NOT our fault
I was not going to abide by that.
you need to FIGHT dishonest money hungry companies like this DSL Extreme who do NOT care one lick about the customers.
I'm going to reply to this because I take personal offense.

11/14/09, your sister contacted us because she couldn't get online. Same call, one of our technicians determined that she had somehow managed to disable her Local Area Connection on her computer (or downloaded some program or virus that did such). After guiding her through re-enabling it, she was back online.

12/1/10, she contacted us because she couldn't get online. We managed to get Verizon out the same day, but they weren't able to access your phone box (the gate was locked) so we had to reschedule another dispatch for the next day, at which time they tested at the phone box and determined the signal was successfully reaching your phone box - meaning the problem was either your inside wiring, or your modem (your own modem, not one provided by us). You yourself called us back and confirmed that your modem was the problem.

5/16/11, you contacted us because you couldn't get online. Our Tier 1 tech wasn't able to resolve the issue so it was escalated up to Tier 2. After a bit of 'phone tag' trying to reach you at home (rather than your mother), our Tier 2 team was able to coordinate with you on 5/23/11, at which time they helped you reconfigure your modem and get back online, as well as submitted a ticket with Verizon to help optimize the line. 5/24/11, they confirmed with you that the connection was working correctly and at full speed.

In another thread on this very board, you claimed "We were lied to ~6 months ago and my Mother was renewed into another contract for a year when we wanted month to month and thought we were getting that." However, in looking at the account history, I see the following:
- She placed an annual contract order on 8/38/08,
- She placed an annual renewal order on 9/5/09,
- She placed an annual contract order at a new location on 10/26/09,
- She placed a monthly renewal order on 10/14/10,
- She placed an annual contract order on 10/27/10 to get a lower price,
- She called us on 11/1/10 to review her speed and current pricing and see if she could get an even LOWER price than the current annual pricing,
- She called us on 12/29/10 to confirm her contract expiration date.

It's quite obvious that your mother knew full well that she had signed up for an annual contract and was not tricked or lied to, as you claim. Despite this, one of our representatives put in a request on your behalf to have the ETF waived (which meant that WE had to pay it ourselves).

So, no. We aren't trying to 'rip you off for the 250 ETF when the problems are NOT your fault', nor never 'going to bat' for you. Most of the issues you contacted us for technically WERE your responsibility (to be precise, problems with your modem and computer, not blaming you personally), and we DID resolve the issues you ran into whether your fault or not (working with Verizon whenever needed, even managing to get them out same-day), and WE paid the 250 ETF when we didn't have to... and most importantly, we DO care for our customers. Anyone who frequents this board can tell you how hard I work to help our customers here, and while you don't see all of our tech support team posting here, they're also working hard to get our customers up and running as quickly as possible. It's often a thankless job, and we tend to deal with angry and upset people because most people contacting us are coming to us with PROBLEMS, but we stick at it and help as best we can.

I understand you weren't satisfied with our service and certainly hope you're happier with Verizon, but if you're going to talk about us, keep it truthful, please.

Goophy629
Premium
join:2013-01-02
Oakland, CA
Reviews:
·DSL EXTREME
reply to DSLextreSCAM
Honestly there probably just something mistakenly happened, but the system just keep running robotically all the time, and surely coordination wasn't established, nor really focusing on what is causing the problem(but too focusing on the outcome itself)...

Looking over my two times signing up with DSLX(should be 3 if including the upgrade,) none was smooth.....though I mostly understand that it's unfortunately realistic, as no one really want to have that happens... maybe you can blame the in-effectiveness or lack of comprehensive clearity, but. well, let's talk realistically
Expand your moderator at work