how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

sner66

join:2006-01-31
Hinsdale, IL

Can a switch fail "partially"?

I have had Uverse for 3 years with no problems. Last month the TV picture started to occasionally pixelate and freeze. Then it froze completely on all ethenet connected STBs. (The one STB on coax did not experience any problems).

My RG feeds two ethernet switches, one for computers and the other for TVs which receive multicast traffic. If I ran a computer off the "TV switch" it would would achieve normal speed/throughput. But on a hunch, I replaced the switch anyway and iptv works fine now. So I guess the problem is solved. But just curious as to what about the original switch that might have caused a problem for the TV traffic?

nwrickert
sand groper
Premium,MVM
join:2004-09-04
Geneva, IL
kudos:7
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse

This sounds plausible.

A failing component could cause the signal to be slightly off-spec, increasing the number of frames with errors. The computer works, because error handling is different for unicast (used with TCP/IP) than for multicast (as used with TV streams).
--
AT&T Uverse; Zyxel NBG334W router (behind the 2wire gateway); openSuSE 12.2; firefox 17.0

UverseTech

join:2012-08-04
Reviews:
·Charter
reply to sner66

Re: Can a switch fail "partially"?

Yes they can die one port at a time. It can happen to any switch or router for that matter. All it takes is an electrical surge or a cable with a bad end gets inserted, down they go.

Try telling that to a customer with a high end network device that has just gone out of warranty.

Paralel

join:2011-03-24
Michigan, US
kudos:4
reply to sner66

Absolutely possible. I've seen it many times.