uniqs
share rss forum feed

Octavean
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-31
New York, NY
kudos:1

PS3 Controller Problem

Basically I have two controllers that my 5 yr old son has messed up with sticky hands or at least I think that’s the case. On one controller some of the buttons are sticky (circle and square) that is to say that these buttons don’t immediately return after being pressed and released. Both controller’s left analog joysticks seem to trigger the L1 buttons (respectively) randomly.

I have replaced the battery in one so I don’t have a problem disassembling them but was wondering what the success rate was for such a problem. I have heard that system boards inside the controller may need replacing if the analog sticks wear out,..

Any advice would be great.

Thanks in advance.

Oct.

bionicRod
Funkier than a mohair disco ball.
Premium
join:2009-07-06
united state
kudos:2

The same thing happened with a Guitar Hero guitar of mine when my girlfriend spilled her drink on it during a night of drunken wailing. I would press the buttons and they would stick for a second or two; it was unplayable for the GH and RB games as you can imagine. I had to take it completely apart and wash the keys and this plastic mat they pressed up against in warm soapy water. Once everything dried I put it back together and it worked like a charm (still works, I passed the set off to a nephew last month). YMMV with a controller.

BTW my dog chewed up my sticks on my dualshock but they still work fine four years later.

bones200
Premium
join:2008-07-11
Randleman, NC
reply to Octavean

You can buy used controllers on ebay for little money. Some of those just the outer housing if busted or something like that. You could just use the board out of one like that. For cleaning anything plastic. I recommend Plexus. It works good, just a little pricey.

danawhitaker
Space...The Final Frontier
Premium
join:2002-03-02
Urbandale, IA
reply to Octavean

I actually had something similar happen with a 360 controller after my daughter spilled juice on it. A, X, and Start occasionally stick. I found that periodically I have to take a q-tip, dip it in water, and run it around the edges of each of the buttons that are affected (when the controller is powered off, obviously). I'd say at most now I have to do this every few months, depending on how frequently I play. I could probably disassemble it and do a more thorough cleaning but since I have to do the q-tip thing so rarely I'd rather not go that route.
--
You're watching Sports Night on CSC so stick around...

Octavean
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-31
New York, NY
kudos:1
reply to Octavean

Thanks for all the suggestions, I'll probably try them all in a logical order.

I'll have to pull the battery pack to clean it properly but I like the cotton swab idea. It's simple and easy to try.