Premium Member
join:2003-08-06
USA

1 recommendation

Libra to Dustyn

Premium Member

to Dustyn

Re: [Updated] Macrium Reflect v5.1.5444

That is exactly what I'm talking about. I've been looking over parts of the instructions. Can you tell me what is the difference between "clone this disk" and "image this disk"? The few times I've used Macrium Reflect 4 I've always selected everything. I'm finding the instructions confusing.

If I'm understanding this correctly, if I install Version 5 (free copy) will I be able to restore everything that was imaged all at one time
using the Linux Rescue Disk?

Thank you.

Sincerely, Libra

ART22gg, Thank you also for that link.
art22gg
Premium Member
join:2005-02-16
Courtenay, BC

art22gg

Premium Member

Cloning usually means making a bit by bit copy of one disk and transferring it to another disk.....whereas imaging usually means making a bit for bit copy of your disk or partition,compressing it and making a backup of it till needed..(simple explanation. )

Using Linux rescue disk...answer..yes..

Dustyn
Premium Member
join:2003-02-26
Ontario, CAN
·Carry Telecom
·TekSavvy Cable
Asus GT-AX11000
Technicolor TC4400

Dustyn to Libra

Premium Member

to Libra
What Art said is correct.
And what you are asking about restoring everything with version 5 (free copy) is correct.
An image is a fast snapshot of your entire hard disk drive that is saved as a compressed file. When using the Linux Rescue Disk, you can open those images and restore them to the disk you took that image from.
A cloned hard disk drive, is just that. It's a perfect "mirror copy" of everything from the original drive. That mirrored (cloned) drive is ready to be plugged in to your computer if let's say you were upgrading to a LARGER drive and ran out of space on the original drive. That new cloned drive with the LARGER capacity should just boot up and function just like the original with the added capacity taken into account.

The drawbacks to cloning is that it takes up MUCH more space than an image, and you can not append incremental or differential clones. Disk images are much easier to maintain in that respect.
Libra
Premium Member
join:2003-08-06
USA

1 edit

Libra

Premium Member

I'm getting a new hard drive and using Macrium Reflect 4 free I just made a full image. I know the instructions are to copy one partition at a time and when done go back and restore another partition. My concern is I hope I don't have to give sizes and make partitions. I have this information:

• 1. system Active 100MB (used 24.13) (free 75.87)
• 2. Windows (C) Primary 420,662.GB (used 36,176GB)(free384,486
• 3. no name D Primary 30.GB (used 87.20MB) (free 29,915GB)
• 4. Lenovo_Part Primary 15,000GB (used7,408GB)(free 7,592GB)

The total size of what was imaged is 43,693GB.

My hard drive is 500GB.

Can I just check each one individually and select Active and Primary where appropriate and copy this to a new drive?

If I need to use numbers can I use the numbers listed above? The first number is Capacity (I forgot to mention that).
~~~~~~~~~
Another possibility is I am going to get a recovery disk from Lenovo which I think has the option to use my external hard drive (not sure about this), but I don't know how my Macrium backup which has to be copied one partition at a time would work with this. The Lenovo disk will have an out of the box image on it.

I'd like to use Macrium if I'm able to do it.

If I try Macrium and it doesn't work, will I be able to use the Lenovo factory install disk with all the junk on it?

Thank you.

Sincerely, Libra