Search similar:

uniqs

McBrain
BRB Face Melting
join:2010-05-06
Marietta, GA

McBrain

Google Chromebook

I'm not sure where this goes, so I'll post it here for all my friends to take a look at. I'm moving to Okinawa in February, and would like to add a piece to my tech arsenal. I'm looking at a Google Chromebook, because I pretty much need something just to surf the web on from my rack and Skype with the family without having to sit at my desk. I'm not too big on tablets, so one of those is out of the equation.

Basically I've narrowed it down to 1 of 2 choices: The $249 Samsung version, or the $199 Acer version. I just can't make up my mind which one I want to get. Here are the specs:

Samsung: 11.6’’ (1366x768) display
0.7 inches thin – 2.42 lbs / 1.1 kg
Over 6.5 hours of battery 1
Samsung Exynos 5 Dual Processor
100 GB Google Drive Cloud Storage2 with 16GB Solid State Drive
Built-in dual band Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n
VGA Camera
1x USB 3.0, 1x USB 2.0
HDMI Port
Bluetooth 3.0™ Compatible

Acer: 11.6’’ (1366x768) display
1 inch thin – 3 lbs / 1.4 kg
Up to 4 hours of battery1
Dual-core IntelĀ® CeleronĀ® Processor
100 GB Google Drive Cloud Storage2 with 320 GB Hard Disk Drive
Dual band Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n and Ethernet
HD Camera
3x USB 2.0
1x HDMI Port, 1x VGA port
2-in-1 memory card slot (SD, MMC)

I've got a spare 500GB 2.5" HDD at my house, which I doubt would fit in the Samsung...but if for some lucky reason it would fit, it would definitely be put in there.

Like I said, I just plan on web browsing and Skyping...possibly watching a movie or two in the rack on ocassion. The difference in price is only $50, so that isn't a deterrant to choosing one or another. Each one has its pros and cons...I just can't decide, lol.

Anyone have any advice?

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok

Premium Member

Dumb question, just the Chromebook allow Skyping?

McBrain
BRB Face Melting
Marietta, GA

McBrain

I would assume, it comes with "an assortment of Google apps". I assume there's a Google compatible Skype app, I mean there's one for my Samsung SmartTV, and both versions include a built in VGA camera.
McBrain

McBrain to Krisnatharok

to Krisnatharok
Damn, quick google search yeilds no Skype app.

Back to the drawing board. Shit is never as easy as it should be.

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok

Premium Member

It's always worth checking out before you buy.

The tablets might allow it if you want to reconsider those--the Kindle Fire HD and Google Nexus are very capable in terms of processing power.

Zupe
MVM
join:2001-11-29
New York, NY

1 edit

Zupe to McBrain

MVM

to McBrain
If you don't want a tablet, you might look at the Acer line of 11.6" Netbooks. They generally run around $250-300, weigh around 3 pounds, and should serve your purposes well. I have one with a C-60 processor, that while fine to use, can be a little slow at times, but they have newer ones with Celeron 877 or similar chips that should be significantly faster. The only drawback there is that battery life isn't as good as with the C-60 or equivalent.

I'm not sure you'd want it in red, but here's one example of the Celeron 877 version - »www.amazon.com/AcerAspir ··· 0&sr=8-4 - Note that the weight listed on Amazon is wrong, if you Google it, the correct weight is 2.7 - 3 lbs.

If you're more interested in battery life and willing to take a bit of a hit on speed, there are versions with the C-60 or C-70 processor as well. If you live near a Walmart and they happen to have it in stock, this one is marked down to $198 - »www.walmart.com/ip/Acer- ··· 21853455 (again, it's red, I'm not sure why there are so many red versions, it comes in black and possibly blue as well)

McBrain
BRB Face Melting
Marietta, GA

McBrain to Krisnatharok

to Krisnatharok
I got the wife an iPad a while back, and I'm not too big on the whole touch screen thing. Then I'd have to buy a case, keyboard, etc. Netbooks seem to be much cheaper and equally as capable. I've found this one. in the ~$250-$300 dollar range.
McBrain

McBrain to Zupe

to Zupe
Thanks man, that's basically exactly what I'm looking for. Color doesn't really matter. Like I said, I don't plan on gaming or anything with it, just web browsing and video chat, so it doesn't have to be blazing fast. I'm thinking I should be able to find a stellar price with the after Christmas deals coming up.

Radio Active
My pappy's a pistol
Premium Member
join:2003-01-31
Fullerton, CA

Radio Active to McBrain

Premium Member

to McBrain
I received the Acer C7 for Christmas and couldn't be more pleased. It does everything I want, except Skype. Easily installed ChrUbuntu.

The ChromeOS is a bit limited, but online apps and extensions mostly make up for that. For mainly online browsing and such, ChromeOS isn't half-bad.

On the upside, adding more RAM (up to 16GB total) or an SSD is quite easy to do. I haven't done that yet.

Disclaimer: I am neither a gamer nor a power-user, so if those are important considerations, Chromebook may not fulfill all your needs. But if you want a netbook you can toss into a bookbag or backpack, you'll be all set.

tek_zealot
join:2002-06-23
Manchester, TN

tek_zealot to McBrain

to McBrain
I am also considering a Chromebook. My family have both a Nexus 7 & Kindle Fire HD 8.9. I just don't like the form factor and my sausage fingers preclude good screen swiping at those resolutions. Gimme a touchpad anytime!
Anyway, for your consideration here is a fairly balanced review of the ARM processor Chromebook.

»arstechnica.com/gadgets/ ··· -inside/

Tally Ho!