spc
Search similar:

uniqs

mike0z
@teksavvy.com

mike0z

Anon

Stable dsl modems for marginal lines

So i have 3 modems, tp-link 8616, d-link 2320b, and an old bell issued speedstream 4200. (circa 2004) The speedstreem is most stable, but still drops on occasion. I cant remember my line stats but they are right on the edge...stable in good weather, degrades in adverse weather. not surprising as it is over 5km distance to the C/O.

Ive been reading about modems and i want to make a good decision, but it gets more confusing when people say some "good" modems don't play well with some remote equipment. I was looking at zyxel, speedtouch, some of the higher model tp-links with the broadcom chip in them. anyone have experience with 'marginal' line quality?

JonF
Premium Member
join:2012-11-22
Chatham, ON

JonF

Premium Member

Hello mike0z,

If you are curious about your line stats, Send me your account OID, and I can grab them for you.

ChuckcZar
@teksavvy.com

ChuckcZar to mike0z

Anon

to mike0z
The 2wire modem Bell supplies is very good on marginal lines. Latency rate is slightly higher than other modems.

HiVolt
Premium Member
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON

HiVolt

Premium Member

said by ChuckcZar :

The 2wire modem Bell supplies is very good on marginal lines. Latency rate is slightly higher than other modems.

Too bad its an useless piece of shit otherwise, with no PPPoE bridge/passthru...

AnonRick
@teksavvy.com

AnonRick to mike0z

Anon

to mike0z
My line is similar to yours and I've tried SpeedTouch, TP-Link, and Zoom. The Zoom 5760 is the best by far, but it's hard to find these days. The Zoom modem syncs at a lower speed than the TP-Link but it is rock solid on my line. The SpeedTouch the worst of the three.

mike0z
@teksavvy.com

mike0z to mike0z

Anon

to mike0z
thanks jon, i actually got the stats back in the summer and they were good for dsl6, but right at the limit. like i said windy/wet weather especially at night can cause some frequent sync dropouts.

The tp-link 8616 is good for a day and then it seems to 'fade'. It could be failing as i used it for nearly 2 years leaving it on 24/7. not bad for a $20 modem.

the old bell speedstream is much more stable, with a slower upload speed however (0.55 vs 0.67) The d-link is similar to the speedstream. Ive been doing a lot of research, and apparently long distance dsl is the norm in many parts of Australia so there is a lot of info over at whirpool.net.au. Seems anything broadcom based is good with marginal lines. Others I came up with are; AZtech dsl605. Various zyxel models. Speedouch 516. I was thinking of ordering the 516 from teksavvy for $75, but I heard tp-link uses a similar chipset in one of their modems..ill have to research that.

Mike2009
join:2009-01-13
Ottawa, ON

Mike2009

I bought a new 2wire 2701 HG-T with Qwest firmware on Kijiji in Toronto and it works very well. I have it bridged and use my Netgear 3500 with it and have no problems. I highly recommend it.

mike0z
@teksavvy.com

mike0z to mike0z

Anon

to mike0z
2wire was exclusive to bell correct? Locally there is a 2wire on kijiji, still waiting for a reply. the picture shows the white bell modem in the upright position. How old are these units? older than the speedstream 4200?

Mike2009
Ottawa, ON
TP-Link Archer C7
Technicolor DCM476
Grandstream HT701

1 edit

Mike2009

In Canada Bell, Sasktel and Telus have used 2wire modems. You can get brand new ones on Kijiji or Ebay with AT&T or Qwest firmware and these work well.

This one is brand new and unlocked. »toronto.kijiji.ca/c-buy- ··· 29024801

Inssomniak
The Glitch
Premium Member
join:2005-04-06
Cayuga, ON

Inssomniak

Premium Member

said by Mike2009:

In Canada Bell, Sasktel and Telus have used 2wire modems. You can get brand new ones on Kijiji or Ebay with AT&T or Qwest firmware and these work well.

This one is brand new and unlocked. »toronto.kijiji.ca/c-buy- ··· 29024801

Hmm I have one of those in a box. I have a habit of trying to pull off 6000 meter syncs (and do pretty good) Maybe Ill try it somewhere

mike0z
@teksavvy.com

mike0z to Mike2009

Anon

to Mike2009
these units have a built in wireless router too if i remember right...i actually set one up for a family member a few years back. How would I go about using it as just a modem (i doubt the 2 wire uses wireless N which I use exclusively for home network media streaming)

I guess the unlocked versions allow for bridged mode?

Mike2009
Ottawa, ON

Mike2009

Yes, they have a router but you can put them in bridge mode and use a separate router.

mike0z
@teksavvy.com

mike0z

Anon

ok..ill keep my eye in the classifieds. the one for sale locally needs a power supply...not really the power supply but the size of the plug that can be hard to track down. + i cant see it working :-/

any modems on the discount shops with the broadcom based chip-set in them (CC,NCIX,newegg,tigerdirect?) Ive heard the new TP-links use trendchip, which is unfortunate...

KTM
@l-3com.com

KTM

Anon

If you can, upgrade you package to a FTTN DSL (10M,15M uses your current modem). With FTTN you don't have to worry about distance to your CO, only the wiring to the Node.