how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Zionikk

join:2012-12-08
North Baltimore, OH

[DSL] Question About Modems

Okay, so I have the 3Mbps package from Frontier because it is the only thing I can get. But ever since I've had it I've only got around 400kbps and I am using the Actiontec GT704WG Rev. B that I got from Verizon before Frontier took over.

So I was wondering if upgrading to the Westell Versalink 7500 would help me get faster speeds?

jenni4um

join:2012-12-10
Henrietta, NY
I would suggest calling frontier and have them do a speed test. They will most likely open a repair ticket to find out why your speed is so low. The GT704 is an old modem so you can update the modem. The modem itself wont cause the speed issue unless the firmware has dropped out or the modem is just pooched.
When I have issue or general questions i call 1-800-239-4430.
Hope this helps.

Zionikk

North Baltimore, OH
reply to Zionikk
Well honestly I don't even have the internet turned on right now because I had it turned off. But I paid today to get it turned back on, but it won't be connected until the 24th.

Can anyone tell me why it takes so long to connect me when I already have everything installed at my house?

I guess I won't really know what the actual speeds are until they turn me back on, maybe it will be fixed when they reconnect me. Who knows. If not though, I will definitely be calling them about it.

Strange Data

join:2012-08-25
reply to Zionikk
I have a GT701 that I bought myself, I was sick of the Sh!tstream modems burning out every 3 months, and not had one problem since. 10M/896K up and has been rock solid since. Unless the modem itself is dying, I'd have Frontier run a line test once you've got service back on.

Zionikk

North Baltimore, OH
Thanks, I will have them do the line test for sure. But can I ask where you got that modem? I might look in to getting it.

I would also like to say that when I re-ordered I found out that I can get 6Mbps downstream now. So I requested the upgrade and it should be changed when they turn me on Monday.

I'm looking forward to doing multiple speedtest and ping test when its on, haha. If I'm still having issues, I'm currently working with a General Manager on getting VDSL in my area so maybe he can help me out.

Strange Data

join:2012-08-25
reply to Zionikk
"Got the internet from the internet"

I can't exactly remember where, either eBay or Amazon