Archivis
Your Daddy
Premium
join:2001-11-26
Earth
kudos:19
reply to Immer

Re: rose-colored glasses (Q-Q--)

The biggest problem for me is the lack of an engaging storyline. They try. Oh, they try so hard, but I'm just failing to get attached to the story.

I really enjoyed the old warcraft games. Illidan was one of the primary baddies and then Arthas was the last baddie of the game in the Warcraft RTS series. After we killed Arthas, the game ended for me when it came to the story. Cataclysm storylines were pulled from external writings and Pandaria is just old school china bullshit. We all know that Garrosh is going to get consumed by the Sha and become a raid boss. If you've done any of the quests, you'll see that Thrall is probably going to come back and either take over the Horde again or turn the Horde over to Zul'Jin.

This all seems like petty stories, in-fighting, etc. There's no more story left. I think the only way they could actually engage us in a story is if they were to go back in time, pre-WC RTS series, or dive more into Khadgar, using Sands of Time to have us continue forward. Tier 5 Hyjal was a prime example of this and the battle for the World Tree was a great raid encounter.

But the current storyline is not engaging at all. I don't care about Pandaria, or the stone-folks with ancient chinese secrets. The Klaxxi is another nonsensical race. Who gets attached to bugs? I rep grind with a bug faction and I'm killing them in raids. There's no sense of identity with these folks, not like Arthas, not like Illidan and to some degree, Deathwing.
--
A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have. -MLK

Cptbeatstix

join:2011-12-21
Carrollton, TX
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
I think pretty everything you said is why I've had this giant push into doing pvp. Really want to get my priest up to do arenas. Until then its raping everything that moves on my BM hunter. Raiding? probably just going to to get LFR geared as a tank and go on the back burner for my guild when it comes to tanking.

I may end up quitting before the end of january if I don't get another toon to 90....

Jobbie
Keep It Simple
Premium
join:2010-08-24
Mexico
kudos:5
We will see what happens when all the anual passes phase out. Mine is due on March.

I agree with Arch there.
--
Judge a man by the trials of his shield, not the empty reaping of his sword.

Archivis
Your Daddy
Premium
Earth
I think we'll see our group continue to subscribe, but I can definitely see that people need something else to supplement their game time with than just playing WoW every second of their spare time.

I'd like for it to be something like an FPS, but not some insta-gib nonsense. I think some co-op would be fun.
--
A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have. -MLK

Ghastlyone
Premium
join:2009-01-07
Las Vegas, NV
I came back for a 10day trial of Pandaria.

The whole "asian" theme fell flat with me, and to be honest just felt bizzare being in World of Warcraft.

I believe a lot of people feel the same way with the current story line.

bTU

join:2009-04-22
Aurora, CO
reply to Jobbie
Mine was up in October, but I got a 1 year WoW time card for my birthday in April and a friend of mine and I RAF'ed each other for the nightwing mount, so I'm paid up until the end of May. We'll see if I'm still playing after I have to start paying for a monthly sub again.

Jobbie
Keep It Simple
Premium
join:2010-08-24
Mexico
bTU, I am in the same boat as you.

TheThing

join:2012-08-10
kudos:1
reply to Archivis
said by Archivis:

I think we'll see our group continue to subscribe, but I can definitely see that people need something else to supplement their game time with than just playing WoW every second of their spare time.

I'd like for it to be something like an FPS, but not some insta-gib nonsense. I think some co-op would be fun.

firefall

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit
kudos:12
said by TheThing:

said by Archivis:

firefall

Firefall is a great idea, as are GW2/SWTOR/TSW. I may go back and check out all four at some point, but right now I've been consumed by my Crysis 2 playthrough--shit is maxed at ultra with all DX11 goodies on at 2560x1440, it's gorgeous, and the storyline rocks.
--
Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Josof

join:2010-10-23
Virginia Beach, VA
reply to Ghastlyone
said by Ghastlyone:

\The whole "asian" theme fell flat with me, and to be honest just felt bizzare being in World of Warcraft.

same here and i'm "asian" . I didnt play much after BC but what i did play of wrath seemed epic story wise. When i came back fully in Cata, it just seemed dull. MoP is not much different but to each his own.
--
"Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat." - Sun Tzu

TheThing

join:2012-08-10
reply to Krisnatharok
said by Krisnatharok:

said by TheThing:

said by Archivis:

firefall

Firefall is a great idea, as are GW2/SWTOR/TSW. I may go back and check out all four at some point, but right now I've been consumed by my Crysis 2 playthrough--shit is maxed at ultra with all DX11 goodies on at 2560x1440, it's gorgeous, and the storyline rocks.

I get the feeling hardcore WoWers would never ever transition to GW2.

SWTOR has such a bad rep, I think that would be a stretch too.

TSW doesn't that have beast mode system requirements?

my impression of firefall so far is a FPS WoW... i can see it getting huge. When you guys start a guild there be sure not to forget me! It's supposed to have WoW-like raids and everything. From what I've played of it, and from what it's supposed to be I'm pumped! *drooling* I can see this being a huge hit with WoWers... and be fun to get everyone on vent/skype/mumble

Skittles
Premium
join:2011-03-31
said by TheThing:

SWTOR has such a bad rep

and earned every bit of that rep....

Carpie

join:2012-10-19
united state
reply to TheThing
What about the online D&D game? Anyone know anything about that? I remember being on the wizards.com site and seeing an ad for it.

I AM
Premium
join:2010-04-11
Ephrata, PA
kudos:4
DDO? I heard it did pretty well and found a niche with its community.

Adalicia
Om Nom Nom

join:2009-10-13
Lincoln, NE
kudos:13
reply to Skittles
The game, despite a plethora of faults, did some things right. And by right I mean really well. It was a good effort but too little to late. I have fond memories of my short time with it, just like Rift and Age of Conan and every other MMO that has come and gone (or remains in some semblance of what it was).
--
Lore Nerd. Role Player. Raid Leader. Healing Priest. Slightly Annoying. Also Likes Kittens.

McBrain
BRB Face Melting

join:2010-05-06
Kalimdor
kudos:2
said by Adalicia:

The game, despite a plethora of faults, did some things right.

Namely, not get into a battle of wits with a Sicilian when death is on the line.

Carpie

join:2012-10-19
united state
Inconceivable!

Skittles
Premium
join:2011-03-31
reply to Adalicia
I cant disagree with you more. It was bad out of the gate, from concept to implementation, it was bad. Bioware does single player console games great, MMOS.....um, not so much. The only thing it got right was the cinematics.

Caelharrad

join:2012-04-13
Fenton, MO
reply to Carpie
said by Carpie:

Inconceivable!

MWAHAHAHA! MWAHAHAHAHAAAA! MWAHAHA... {thud}

Snuffbox
nice irl
Premium
join:2011-04-15
Milwaukee, WI
reply to Adalicia
said by Adalicia:

The game, despite a plethora of faults, did some things right. And by right I mean really well. It was a good effort but too little to late. I have fond memories of my short time with it, just like Rift and Age of Conan and every other MMO that has come and gone (or remains in some semblance of what it was).

Balance and Progression > Story and Cinematics - who woulda thought?

Pure foolishness in my opinion. Game was dropped at the perfect time between expansions, they copied WoW almost word for word and had potential to keep a lot of WoW's subscriptions, that's where the "did some things right" ends however.

It's one of the largest gaming flops I've seen, keeping their budget in mind.

qualitybobby
Premium
join:2009-12-29
Middleville, NY
reply to Carpie
said by Carpie:

Inconceivable!

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Adalicia
Om Nom Nom

Lincoln, NE
reply to Snuffbox
Balance was my biggest issue. The end game content that existed at launch and what was released not long after was actually enjoyable in my opinion though the standard "not enough to do at launch" argument obviously applied.

I thought questing was the most enjoyable of any MMO I've played, both solo and group, Flash Points and Operations were enjoyable, especially story heavy ones, the three launch Warzones weren't bad but man, that fucking PvP balance. Sweet shit Bioware had no god damn idea what the fuck they were doing. And yeah, the engine that game ran on was a bloody abortion. But, once again, I'll continue to lament over what could have been.
--
Lore Nerd. Role Player. Raid Leader. Healing Priest. Slightly Annoying. Also Likes Kittens.

Snuffbox
nice irl
Premium
join:2011-04-15
Milwaukee, WI
^ SWTORs so bad, talking about it even kills threads.

Sorry Adalicia, I had to.

Adalicia
Om Nom Nom

Lincoln, NE
Nah, I just kill threads. I should quit posting again.

Vorpil

join:2010-01-30
Wright City, MO
reply to Archivis
said by Archivis:

LoL anyone???
--
Deacon (Vek'nilash)
Volp (Vek'nilash)
Vorpil (Vek'nilash)

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit
kudos:12
Psh no, Firefall all the way.

Snakeoil
Ignore Button. The coward's feature.
Premium
join:2000-08-05
Mentor, OH
reply to Carpie
said by Carpie:

What about the online D&D game? Anyone know anything about that? I remember being on the wizards.com site and seeing an ad for it.

My kids and I played it. i just never got in it, though the kids go back to it ever so often. It's free to play. Though you have to pay to unlock new lands/dungeons/certain items/character types.
But over all not bad for a free to play game.
Give it a try, it costs nothing.
--
Is a person a failure for doing nothing? Or is he a failure for trying, and not succeeding at what he is attempting to do? What did you fail at today?.

Archivis
Your Daddy
Premium
Earth
reply to Krisnatharok
said by Krisnatharok:

Psh no, Firefall all the way.

We'll see. The game has to offer more. I know it's in beta, so I won't judge, but the game has to be much more captivating.
--