uniqs

Gone
Premium Member
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

Docsis 2 modems?

So I'm wondering, and figure someone here would be able to convey an answer real quick...

... are the Docsis 2 modems good for 20/1.5, or do they still top out at 16/1 and you need to get a Doc 3 modem for 20/1.5?

I have a DCM425 laying around that was purchased outright from another Cogeco TPIA provider. Considering gifting it to a family member for Christmas.

rocca
Start.ca
Premium Member
join:2008-11-16
London, ON

rocca

Premium Member

In Cogeco areas they use a different speed profile depending on what the modem is. Ie, the tier used for our Advanced package will profile up at 16/1 on D2 and 20/1.5 on D3.

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

That's what I thought, just wanted to confirm. Thanks.

Davesnothere
Change is NOT Necessarily Progress
Premium Member
join:2009-06-15
Canada

Davesnothere to rocca

Premium Member

to rocca
said by rocca:

In Cogeco areas they use a different speed profile depending on what the modem is.

Ie, the tier used for our Advanced package will profile up at 16/1 on D2 and 20/1.5 on D3.

So are you saying that currently the Cogeco network will auto-sense which class of modem is on the account and configure it ONLY as you just said ? (for Advanced tier)

(I realize that we also each have our opinions and experiences regarding performance of the two modem classes, but I'm asking only about network and tier compatibilty here.)

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

said by Davesnothere:

So are you saying that currently the Cogeco network will auto-sense which class of modem is on the account and configure it ONLY as you just said ? (for Advanced tier)

It doesn't even need to be that fancy. They just push out a lower speed profile based on the model of modem they have provisioned on your account. It's simple enough to do.

rocca
Start.ca
Premium Member
join:2008-11-16
London, ON

rocca to Davesnothere

Premium Member

to Davesnothere
I can't say with 100% certainty, but yes I believe that is correct. The CMTS's are very aware of what mode the CPE's have negotiated and the profile is sent down to them each time they connect so I would imagine this would be easy to do.
useless2764
join:2008-10-11
Barrie, ON

useless2764 to Gone

to Gone
see, theres so much logic that doesnt apply to rogers, now isnt there