share rss forum feed

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC
kudos:23
reply to morisato

Re: A question about Linux ISOs, No Really LINUX ISO's For real!

If you want to keep a familiar user experience kind of like windows, but still want to stick to Ubuntu (because it's the most popular and has the best support from third party companies like Valve), you can try Kubuntu (KDE), Xubuntu (Xfce), or Lubuntu (LXDE). That is actually in order of how "lightweight" they are. KDE is a full-featured but heavyweight desktop environment, Xfce is traditionally a lightweight environment that is cleaner and less complicated than KDE, while LXDE is newer and has slightly lower memory usage than Xfce.

They're pretty close though. In mid 2011, Phoronix tested RAM usage, and came up with these averages in their test:

KDE 4.4: 522 MB
GNOME 2: 400 MB
Xfce 4.6: 342 MB
LXDE 0.5: 311 MB

If I had to pick a desktop Linux distro to install today, it would either be Xubuntu 12.10 or Mint 14.1.
--
Developer: Tomato/MLPPP, Linux/MLPPP, etc »fixppp.org

Tx
bronx cheers from cheap seats
Premium
join:2008-11-19
Mississauga, ON
kudos:12
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·FreePhoneLine
·Rogers Hi-Speed
said by Guspaz:

If you want to keep a familiar user experience kind of like windows, but still want to stick to Ubuntu (because it's the most popular and has the best support from third party companies like Valve), you can try Kubuntu (KDE), Xubuntu (Xfce), or Lubuntu (LXDE). That is actually in order of how "lightweight" they are. KDE is a full-featured but heavyweight desktop environment, Xfce is traditionally a lightweight environment that is cleaner and less complicated than KDE, while LXDE is newer and has slightly lower memory usage than Xfce.

They're pretty close though. In mid 2011, Phoronix tested RAM usage, and came up with these averages in their test:

KDE 4.4: 522 MB
GNOME 2: 400 MB
Xfce 4.6: 342 MB
LXDE 0.5: 311 MB

If I had to pick a desktop Linux distro to install today, it would either be Xubuntu 12.10 or Mint 14.1.

I've been pretty impressed by Mint. Good choice here, then again all of which Gus suggested is good

morisato

join:2008-03-16
Oshawa, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·TekSavvy DSL
·ELECTRONICBOX

1 edit
Thanks for the suggestion I think i will Setup like 7 vms p:) one for each distro and go to town, Then once i find one i like parition up my ssd and install, Unfortunetly finding out blizzard hates linux users in d3 means i have to keep a w7 just for d3

ROFL This is funny i just downloaded 10 gig of actual Linux isos... I bet Out of all the folks who claim they downloaded a ton of linux isos i am one of the few to actually be telling the truth
--
Every time Someone leaves Sympatico an Angel gets its wings.

Tx
bronx cheers from cheap seats
Premium
join:2008-11-19
Mississauga, ON
kudos:12
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·FreePhoneLine
·Rogers Hi-Speed
said by morisato:

Thanks for the suggestion I think i will Setup like 7 vms p:) one for each distro and go to town, Then once i find one i like parition up my ssd and install, Unfortunetly finding out blizzard hates linux users in d3 means i have to keep a w7 just for d3

ROFL This is funny i just downloaded 10 gig of actual Linux isos... I bet Out of all the folks who claim they downloaded a ton of linux isos i am one of the few to actually be telling the truth

Lol though you're probably right, i download a lot of them myself for my openVZ and Xen servers and then of course my main nodes development and live environments

morisato

join:2008-03-16
Oshawa, ON
So far not so good ubuntu installer crashed during install on VM #1 oh well bed time i have 10 distros to setup tommorow.
--
Every time Someone leaves Sympatico an Angel gets its wings.

ekster
Hi there
Premium
join:2010-07-16
Lachine, QC
kudos:3
I believe you can also use most of them live. Don't even need to install it to use it... just put it on a disc or USB and it's good to go.

n2burns

join:2012-11-27
Chatham, ON
reply to morisato
You can also save a bit of time by installing pre-built images.
For VirtualBox:
»www.oracle.com/technetwork/commu···dex.html
»virtualboxes.org/images/

sil

join:2007-06-30
ON
reply to ekster
this is how i'm giving mint a try.. (I used this »www.pendrivelinux.com/)