land of big

1 recommendation

goalieskates to antdude

Premium Member

to antdude

Re: By 2014, the Internet will be the death of us all

Despite the breathless title, the basic premise is sound enough:
said by from the linked article :
To be fair, I've spoken with a number of security folks about the possibility of medical devices being turned against us, and they agree it is entirely possible.
I'm pretty sure we've already hashed over the needless internet connectivity of various devices. And certainly medical devices being connected (thanks to the push for electronic medical records, etc.) could be subject to attack.
said by also from the article :
Then again, such devices have always been vulnerable to some kind of attack, says futurist Anders Sandberg, a research fellow at Oxford University's Future of Humanity Institute.

"In the good old days, the people who made these devices were just happy that they worked," he says. "They didn't think about security. The old pacemakers could be controlled by putting a magnet on someone's chest and twisting it."

The question, he says, is who would want to?
Sadly, the question itself is naive. Start with tech kiddies who do it just because they can, and move on down the food chain.

DrModem
Trust Your Doctor
Premium Member
join:2006-10-19
USA

DrModem

Premium Member

said by goalieskates:

Despite the breathless title, the basic premise is sound enough:

said by from the linked article :
To be fair, I've spoken with a number of security folks about the possibility of medical devices being turned against us, and they agree it is entirely possible.
I'm pretty sure we've already hashed over the needless internet connectivity of various devices. And certainly medical devices being connected (thanks to the push for electronic medical records, etc.) could be subject to attack.
said by also from the article :
Then again, such devices have always been vulnerable to some kind of attack, says futurist Anders Sandberg, a research fellow at Oxford University's Future of Humanity Institute.

"In the good old days, the people who made these devices were just happy that they worked," he says. "They didn't think about security. The old pacemakers could be controlled by putting a magnet on someone's chest and twisting it."

The question, he says, is who would want to?
Sadly, the question itself is naive. Start with tech kiddies who do it just because they can, and move on down the food chain.

If people start dying, Internet connected medical devices hat can kill you will probably be short lived...

Public outcry and all.