uniqs
share rss forum feed

JMJimmy

join:2008-07-23
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL

Teksavvy Notices

Dear TEKSAVVY,

I've now received a 2nd notice of infringement for the same title, same IP address, same name, but entirely different email address.

This is not what I meant when I asked support to look into why a Quebec address was being used to identify me, an Ontario customer.

Does this mean I allegedly infringed twice?

Tx
bronx cheers from cheap seats
Premium
join:2008-11-19
Mississauga, ON
kudos:12
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·FreePhoneLine
·Rogers Hi-Speed

said by JMJimmy:

Dear TEKSAVVY,

I've now received a 2nd notice of infringement for the same title, same IP address, same name, but entirely different email address.

This is not what I meant when I asked support to look into why a Quebec address was being used to identify me, an Ontario customer.

Does this mean I allegedly infringed twice?

Maybe i'm tired but your post lost me... Explain in more detail lol

tired

join:2010-12-12
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·TELUS

JMJimmy was one of 42 (?) the people incorrectly put on the naughty list by TSI, which can be proven in this case because the infringement took place in a different province than the service address.

Looks like they tried to fix the problem, but didn't.

Tx
bronx cheers from cheap seats
Premium
join:2008-11-19
Mississauga, ON
kudos:12
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·FreePhoneLine
·Rogers Hi-Speed

said by tired:

JMJimmy was one of 42 (?) the people incorrectly put on the naughty list by TSI, which can be proven in this case because the infringement took place in a different province than the service address.

Looks like they tried to fix the problem, but didn't.

ahhh, all the dots are aligning now and i'm left with scratching my head if true... :s

JMJimmy

Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL

1 edit
reply to tired

Just got a message that I was one of the 92 and that's why I received the second notice. Waiting to hear back about the IP geolocation issue.

Edit: Marc is awesome let me just say that. If I ever get the chance, I'm buying him a drink.

That said, I'm completely confused and glad someone will be calling me to clarify things. As I said in the OP, I've received 2 notifications at separate email addresses... unfortunately now I've received a 3rd email at the first address saying it was an error (ieL I was one of the 42)... so now I wonder, is the 2nd notice in error or not? Anyway, once someone calls me I'll be able to get it clarified.

hm

@videotron.ca
reply to JMJimmy

If I had a static IP I would be asking TSI for a new one.

JMJimmy

I had a static IP when I signed up, they switched me to dynamic while they tried to figure out why static was dropping packets... they never switched me back or figured out the issue so I got my money back for the static IP.

CrazyCanuckz

@reliablehosting.com

Make sure to keep all those notices so if you do need to go to court you can show the proof.

funny0

join:2010-12-22
reply to JMJimmy

if you spoof an ip address and thus take it it might show up that you are in another location....

funny0

join:2010-12-22
reply to JMJimmy

said by JMJimmy:

I had a static IP when I signed up, they switched me to dynamic while they tried to figure out why static was dropping packets... they never switched me back or figured out the issue so I got my money back for the static IP.

ask them to look into your ip being spoofed and maek sure you run uptodate anti virus on said system to make sure its not back doored to let the person know what ip you are gaining so it can then be spoofed again.

Teddy Boom
k kudos Received
Premium
join:2007-01-29
Toronto, ON
kudos:20
reply to JMJimmy

said by JMJimmy:

Just got a message that I was one of the 92 and that's why I received the second notice. Waiting to hear back about the IP geolocation issue.

Is that 92 obviously misidentified, or 92 total people mapped from the 2000+ IP addresses? Has the actual number of Teksavvy customers notified actually been released? It should certainly be well below 2000 individual users, I'd think..

Any good summary post around that captures this information?
--
electronicsguru.ca

JMJimmy

134 people were notified of the original 2300, 42 of those were mistakes, 92 were correct. They're having to manually check the logs at the moment to get notifications out.

blowhorse

@leaseweb.com

134 where 42 were mistakes. That's lot of mistakes. I wonder how much mistakes in the 2300. Just that alone should be a issue with this entire thing.

resa1983
Premium
join:2008-03-10
North York, ON
kudos:10
reply to JMJimmy

said by JMJimmy:

134 people were notified of the original 2300, 42 of those were mistakes, 92 were correct. They're having to manually check the logs at the moment to get notifications out.

Is that what someone told you or what you're assuming, because that's not really what was said in court.

What was said in court (as I was there), was that 42 people were mistakenly informed, and that 92 people had to be informed still due to discovering the error & fixing it.
--
Battle.net Tech Support MVP

JMJimmy

I may have misunderstood that, I didn't read the transcript.

Teddy Boom
k kudos Received
Premium
join:2007-01-29
Toronto, ON
kudos:20
reply to resa1983

said by resa1983:

Is that what someone told you or what you're assuming, because that's not really what was said in court.

What was said in court (as I was there), was that 42 people were mistakenly informed, and that 92 people had to be informed still due to discovering the error & fixing it.

Does that mean we don't know how many total were informed? It seems likely it is way less than the number of IP addresses..
--
electronicsguru.ca