how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

ruddypict

join:2010-03-24
kudos:2

[INTERNET] Residential & Business TPIA in Cogeco footprint

I'm running a comparison to see if there's a better deal out there, for a home as well as a business in the Cogeco Ontario footprint.

I know Start.ca does residential TPIA, are there any other companies that moved in? And are any doing TPIA for business?

Davesnothere
No-BHELL-ity DOES have its Advantages
Premium
join:2009-06-15
START Today!
kudos:7

1 edit

TSI keeps saying "Soon" (though that may also only be for residential).

T = Tell
S = Santa
I = "I want...."

maxboha

join:2012-05-12
reply to ruddypict

They are saying soon since october... --''

Gone
Premium
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON
kudos:4

said by maxboha:

since october...

... 2009.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in
reply to ruddypict

Distributel is in Windsor only.

dillyhammer
START me up
Premium
join:2010-01-09
Scarborough, ON
kudos:10
Reviews:
·WIND Mobile
·Start Communicat..
reply to maxboha

said by maxboha:

They are saying soon since october... --''

October 2011 in fact.
All I need is a cable internet connection for redundancy and apps and load-balancing. I've not sold on start.ca, I'd rather just get one bill from TSI for both cable and dsl, but I'm getting tired of waiting.

Mike
--
Cogeco - The New UBB Devil -»[Burloak] Usage Based Billing Nightmare
Cogeco UBB, No Modem Required - »[Niagara] 40gb of "usage" while the modem is unplugged

Gone
Premium
Fort Erie, ON

Teksavvy had been talking about Cogeco TPIA since I lived in Secord Woods, well before 2011.

A Lurker
that's Ms Lurker btw
Premium
join:2007-10-27
Wellington N
reply to ruddypict

You may find less (or no) competition for the business connections. I'm guessing most jump residential accounts for usage concerns. At the moment (although it may change) there are no overages on business accounts.

Verno

join:2008-06-19
Grimsby, ON
Reviews:
·Cogeco Cable
·Start Communicat..
reply to Gone

said by Gone:

Teksavvy had been talking about Cogeco TPIA since I lived in Secord Woods, well before 2011.

Yeah, I've been hearing about it for over 2 years. One of the ex-TSI guys told me not to hold my breath, Cogeco isn't making it affordable to do the packages they want and has been giving them the gears throughout the whole process.

dillyhammer
START me up
Premium
join:2010-01-09
Scarborough, ON
kudos:10

Yep. About to give up myself and go with Start.

Just waiting on the log retention issue to play out.

Mike

Gone
Premium
Fort Erie, ON
reply to Verno

said by Verno:

One of the ex-TSI guys told me not to hold my breath, Cogeco isn't making it affordable to do the packages they want and has been giving them the gears throughout the whole process.

That argument doesn't hold the same water that it used to now that there are other ISPs on the aggregate Cogeco POI.

I can sympathize with not wanting to screw over their Chatham customers as has been alluded to over in the Teksavvy forum, but one way or another they're going to have to make that switch as aggregate POI will be mandatory by the end of 2013. If it doesn't happen now, it's going to happen later.

ruddypict

reply to ruddypict

Thanks for the replies.

After searching around I found another company, CK Internet, but they have really bad reviews from what I've seen.

TSI: I would sign up with them if it were available. But its not. And I got tired of waiting on the "any day now" routine. When they actually announce service I'll definitely consider them (if that ever happens).

Its looking more and more like Start is the TPIA winner in Cogeco-land.

On the commercial side I found similar to what A Lurker mentioned. Doesn't seem to exist. Is it really because they're business offerings are hard to beat? Or do they even have to do business TPIA? I assumed they did as DSL allows for business with third party internet providers.

I'm rather hesitant to play with Cogeco on the business side for the same reason I don't want to deal with their residential side (low usage caps, overpriced overage and their crappy system for tracking it). If they don't charge overage on business it makes me less hesitant. If they give me at least 90 days notice before implementing overage (so I can switch to another business ISP) it makes it much easier to swallow. Maybe I'll talk to that Cogeco rep next time he pops in.

urbanriot
Premium
join:2004-10-18
Canada
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Cogeco Cable

said by ruddypict:

I'm rather hesitant to play with Cogeco on the business side for the same reason I don't want to deal with their residential side (low usage caps, overpriced overage and their crappy system for tracking it).

Those issues do not exist with Cogeco business so you can stop being hesitent. There's a reason a number of enthusiasts are shelling out the big bucks for Cogeco's business package.

ruddypict

said by urbanriot:

said by ruddypict:

I'm rather hesitant to play with Cogeco on the business side for the same reason I don't want to deal with their residential side (low usage caps, overpriced overage and their crappy system for tracking it).

Those issues do not exist with Cogeco business so you can stop being hesitent. There's a reason a number of enthusiasts are shelling out the big bucks for Cogeco's business package.

The cost really isn't a concern (if switched to cogeco business voip/internet, its cheaper than business landline & business dsl). The overage is, as this business will need a decent chunk of data transfer. Then again, I'm sure if they started charging overage, they'd have to give some notice.

Gone
Premium
Fort Erie, ON

Aside from the fact that there is a competitive reason for Cogeco to not meter business accounts as Bell doesn't, there will never be overages for business accounts so long as there are questions surrounding the reliability of the meter.

Unlike residential accounts, business customers are far more likely to fight something they don't agree with up to and including legal proceedings. Not only would I be willing to bet that this is the reason Cogeco won't touch business accounts with a ten foot pole, but why Bell and others don't do it either.

When it comes to the idea of a business account being "unlimited" I wouldn't think twice about it remaining so in perpetuity.