share rss forum feed

Jan Janowski
Premium
join:2000-06-18
Skokie, IL
Reviews:
·Comcast

[Wireless] WRT54G V1 with wireless cameras

If I had 2-4 wireless SD (640x480) cameras, each with Motion Detect/ftp settings within the camera, is this router good enough to be able to use 2-4 simultaneously?
In other words, would I be exceeding the capability of that Router? (I've never used more than one wireless source with this router before)

I assume then that each of the cameras go on different Wireless channel--Right?

Plan is to have each camera's Motion Detect settings ftp a still pic to a hidden NAS/hard drive behind this router.... at a location that presently has only phone, but no Internet Access.

So the local Security system calls the Police, and this (hidden drive) records motion detected images....

At this point the issue is just if WRT54G V1 can support 2-4 simultaneous wireless connections....

Thanks....
--
Looking for 1939 Indian Motocycle

Kyawa
Premium
join:2006-01-26
Middletown, MD
Reviews:
·Comcast

I think you'd only run into issues if you were streaming. I have two cameras setup at my vacation home with no issues. You'll need to manage the transfer to the hard drive. If more than one camera tries to ftp at the same time, how will that be managed. Also, how many shots do you want captured with each motion?

Jan Janowski
Premium
join:2000-06-18
Skokie, IL
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to Jan Janowski

One Picture per motion detect...

I frankly don't know what would happen if both ftp'd at same time.

I have tested and it will sustain a copy to or from drive and a motion detect picture happens at same time....

I see there is a firmware update since I last used it...Now all I have to do is find the router... I know it's here somewhere....
--
Looking for 1939 Indian Motocycle

Kyawa
Premium
join:2006-01-26
Middletown, MD

Cool. As far as channels, they will match the channel of the router. You shouldn't need to worry about it. Sounds cool but hope you never need it. I like waking up to emails of pictures of deer hanging out in my yard.