All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs
mogamer
join:2011-04-20
Royal Oak, MI

mogamer

Re: Cisco 8642 hddvr

OK, I just talked things over with my wife. I'm going to buy one of the 320gb models that are currently on sale for $59.99 at Tivo's site and go with a monthy contract of $14.99 per month. We'll probably then upgrade to a lifetime sub when that expires. I'm also getting another 1tb external hdd for Tivo Desktop.
grantsa4
join:2007-08-15
Naperville, IL

grantsa4

said by mogamer:

OK, I just talked things over with my wife. I'm going to buy one of the 320gb models that are currently on sale for $59.99 at Tivo's site and go with a monthy contract of $14.99 per month. We'll probably then upgrade to a lifetime sub when that expires. I'm also getting another 1tb external hdd for Tivo Desktop.

Who spend 14.99 for 12 months (almost $180) and then spend another $500 on lifetime?

Why don't you just get the lifetime straight away?

Just wondering.
mogamer
Royal Oak, MI

mogamer

said by grantsa4:

said by mogamer:

Who spend 14.99 for 12 months (almost $180) and then spend another $500 on lifetime?

Just wondering.

I was wondering if anyone was going to ask that!

Money is tight right now because we just bought a new furnace w/ central air. We like to keep a certain amount of cash on hand for emergencies and a dvr isn't really an emergency. Unless something bad happens, we shouldn't have a problem paying that $500 when the year sub expires. If need be, I could just go with the Basic, clear QAM tier and use my HDHR3 as our only dvr. But then there would be a lack of HD. Or go with the Cisco unit like I originally asked about.
grantsa4
Naperville, IL

grantsa4

said by mogamer:

said by grantsa4:

said by mogamer:

Just wondering.

I was wondering if anyone was going to ask that!

Money is tight right now because we just bought a new furnace w/ central air. We like to keep a certain amount of cash on hand for emergencies and a dvr isn't really an emergency. Unless something bad happens, we shouldn't have a problem paying that $500 when the year sub expires. If need be, I could just go with the Basic, clear QAM tier and use my HDHR3 as our only dvr. But then there would be a lack of HD. Or go with the Cisco unit like I originally asked about.

Fair enough. Was just wondering. I love my TiVo
mogamer
Royal Oak, MI

mogamer

said by grantsa4:

I love my TiVo

We hope we do too.

We're leaving Dish Network and currently have the 722K. It has really served us well for the three years we've had it and my wife will miss it a lot if the Tivo isn't as easy to use. Me, I have no problem using Media Center, and I'm sure the Tivo is more user friendly.

The main reason why I wanted a dedicated dvr is because I'm worried about my wife being able to use Media Center without getting frustrated. Hell, she gets mad when a streaming video on her laptop has problems. She is certainly not a pc geek like I am.
alan92rttt
join:2012-02-27

alan92rttt

Have you considered just getting the Ultra service? Might be cheaper in the long run. I've had it for almost a year and My with and I are happy with it.
mogamer
Royal Oak, MI

mogamer

said by alan92rttt:

Have you considered just getting the Ultra service? Might be cheaper in the long run. I've had it for almost a year and My with and I are happy with it.

I've thought about it. But I would lose my modem discount and then still have to use my current router because the gateway has pathetic wireless strength.

On a side note, I bought a Tivo Series 2 w/lifetime last night for $50 for the bedroom tv. That means I qualify for the multi-Tivo discount. The monthly fee on a new Premiere unit would be $12.99 instead of $14.99. So going with a Tivo plus HTPC would cost around $8.50 less per month compard to UltraTV. Not a lot, but that will pay for a Netflix dvd by mail subscription to go along with my streaming sub.
baess
join:2011-01-28

baess

said by mogamer:

On a side note, I bought a Tivo Series 2 w/lifetime last night for $50 for the bedroom tv.

I haven't done a lot of research but that seems like a real good price. Where did you get it?
mogamer
Royal Oak, MI

mogamer

said by baess:

said by mogamer:

On a side note, I bought a Tivo Series 2 w/lifetime last night for $50 for the bedroom tv.

I haven't done a lot of research but that seems like a real good price. Where did you get it?

I found it off of Detroit craigslist. Yes, that is a good price. They're usually $100 - $125 with lifetime. I have it connected to an OTA digital converter box and it looks fine on a sd crt tv. And I'll keep it just for the fact that I'm now able to get the multi-Tivo subscription discount.
grantsa4
Naperville, IL

grantsa4 to mogamer

to mogamer
said by mogamer:

said by alan92rttt:

I've thought about it. But I would lose my modem discount and then still have to use my current router because the gateway has pathetic wireless strength.

On a side note, I bought a Tivo Series 2 w/lifetime last night for $50 for the bedroom tv. That means I qualify for the multi-Tivo discount. The monthly fee on a new Premiere unit would be $12.99 instead of $14.99. So going with a Tivo plus HTPC would cost around $8.50 less per month compard to UltraTV. Not a lot, but that will pay for a Netflix dvd by mail subscription to go along with my streaming sub.

Nice job on the $50 - that is a great deal! I have one in my bedroom as well w/lifetime and a lifetime HD downstairs