rocca
Start.ca
Premium
join:2008-11-16
London, ON
kudos:23
reply to Gone

Re: Docsis 2 modems?

In Cogeco areas they use a different speed profile depending on what the modem is. Ie, the tier used for our Advanced package will profile up at 16/1 on D2 and 20/1.5 on D3.

Gone
Premium
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON
kudos:4
That's what I thought, just wanted to confirm. Thanks.

Davesnothere
No-BHELL-ity DOES have its Advantages
Premium
join:2009-06-15
START Today!
kudos:7
reply to rocca
said by rocca:

In Cogeco areas they use a different speed profile depending on what the modem is.

Ie, the tier used for our Advanced package will profile up at 16/1 on D2 and 20/1.5 on D3.

So are you saying that currently the Cogeco network will auto-sense which class of modem is on the account and configure it ONLY as you just said ? (for Advanced tier)

(I realize that we also each have our opinions and experiences regarding performance of the two modem classes, but I'm asking only about network and tier compatibilty here.)

Gone
Premium
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON
kudos:4
said by Davesnothere:

So are you saying that currently the Cogeco network will auto-sense which class of modem is on the account and configure it ONLY as you just said ? (for Advanced tier)

It doesn't even need to be that fancy. They just push out a lower speed profile based on the model of modem they have provisioned on your account. It's simple enough to do.

rocca
Start.ca
Premium
join:2008-11-16
London, ON
kudos:23
reply to Davesnothere
I can't say with 100% certainty, but yes I believe that is correct. The CMTS's are very aware of what mode the CPE's have negotiated and the profile is sent down to them each time they connect so I would imagine this would be easy to do.