All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
tbk5
join:2010-06-25
Charlton, MA

tbk5

[CATV] CableCard for Silicon Dust HDHomeRun Prime??

I have a Silicon Dust HD HomeRun Prime for a multimedia PC. I went to the local Charter office to get a cable card for it. They tried to give me a box with the card. I was told that I could not get just the cable card???? Yet, the web site (charter.com) describes availability of a self install M-Card. Reading other posts in the charter forum, I see reference to the cable card for $2/month. Is it available?
Kirby72
join:2007-03-20
White Pigeon, MI

Kirby72

If you get nowhere with the local office, just call the 800 number and order an M card. They ship free via FEDEX 3-day service, and if you need a Tuning Adapter in your area, they will send one of those as well. Install it all, then call back to support and activate it.
jnewcastle
join:2004-05-03
Kalamazoo, MI

jnewcastle to tbk5

to tbk5
I have two hdhomerun primes, first self install kit took a truck roll because the direct guys could not get it working. Swapped the cable card and tried the same process and everything worked. They did not charge me for the truck roll as it was their fault. Second one went very smooth. Just picked up the card at the local office, contacted the direct channel and they activated it in less than an hour. I will miss that group. As for a box yes you will need the m-card and a device called a tuning adapter. It will hook to your prime via usb and is required. Each of my m-cards with tuner adapters cost me $2 a month and both did not cost me a thing to install since I picked them up from the office.
google2
join:2004-02-04
South Beloit, IL

google2 to tbk5

to tbk5
Where's the Charter social team when you need 'em? lol
tbk5
join:2010-06-25
Charlton, MA

tbk5

Thank you all. I tried the chat and found out that the box was the adapter--I sure wish the first rep could explain that to me. I got to an office near my house a few minutes before closing and picked one up. I just spend an hour on the phone and they can't activate it properly. "the id numbers do not match up"... Back to the office again tomorrow. Ugh.

I do get standard def stations.

While typing this, an agent called back. She thought she had it but it is still not working. She cannot add it because she get an invalid device number. In the end, she agreed that swapping the hardware out is a good next step.

I am also working a firewall or router issue. I get the "HDHomeRun Setup detected the PC is not receiving UPnP discovery announcement packets from the network." I can find anything online wrt Win8.
Chubbysumo
join:2009-12-01
Duluth, MN
Ubee E31U2V1
(Software) pfSense
Netgear WNR3500L

Chubbysumo

said by tbk5 See ProfileI am also working a firewall or router issue. I get the "HDHomeRun Setup detected the PC is not receiving UPnP discovery announcement packets from the network." I can find anything online wrt Win8.
[/BQUOTE :

Your already getting the clearQAM stations(which will end soon), and its likely that you need to add an exception in your windows firewall in windows 8 to allow the HDHR to connect to it. I am unsure how to do this in windows 8, but I know it works well in windows 7. Im getting myself an HDHRP soon so that we do not have to pay for a DVR service. Have a nice HTPC set for it already, and its smaller than the charter provided DVR.

nunya
LXI 483
MVM
join:2000-12-23
O Fallon, MO

nunya to tbk5

MVM

to tbk5
How many HD channels can you watch at once with this device? I have the HDHomerun for OTA (MythTV).
I was thinking about getting cable again but didn't want to rent their overpriced and lackluster equipment.

nightshade74
Yet another genxer
Premium Member
join:2004-11-06
Prattville, AL

nightshade74 to tbk5

Premium Member

to tbk5
I've dealt with Charter and Cablecards with TIVOs.
I'm assuming the HomeRun should be similar.

You absolutely require a CableCard to decrypt content.
In many areas you also require a small box aka Tuning Adapter
aka SDV (Switched Digital Video) Adapter.
If you care here is a description of SDV
»electronics.howstuffwork ··· ideo.htm

The FCC has a cablecard "Know your Rights" page -- »www.fcc.gov/guides/cable ··· r-rights

Tell Charter you're filing an FCC complaint -- this will
get a bit of action... AND FILE THE COMPLAINT
»www.fcc.gov/complaints (Category Broadcast (TV and Radio), Cable, and Satellite Issues)
jnewcastle
Kalamazoo, MI

jnewcastle to nunya

to nunya
The HDHomerun has two tuners as you know. The HDHomerun prime has 3 tuners. I have 2 of the original HDHomeruns working with mythtv and just got my second prime a week ago. I love the primes because there is just one coax on them for all 3 tuners. My orginal HDHomeruns had two inputs and signal was getting iffy after splitters. The Prime seems to be much more solid and you don't have to put a cc in it, you can use it just like your original HDHomeruns and get qam or ota on them. I think they will do ota, I know they do qam as I played around with mine before I put the cc in it.

Using the CC and .25 of myth, channel scanning is a breeze compared to the older homeruns. Just pull the listing in from source and done. No more scanning for what seemed like hours and then cleanup afterwards.

I plan to pull at least one if not both of my homeruns out soon and just use the two primes as 6 tuners should be more than enough for my main system and test machine.

nunya
LXI 483
MVM
join:2000-12-23
O Fallon, MO

nunya

MVM

Can you watch 3 separate HD streams off of one card? They seem to allude to that, but I can't find anything "definite". Even if it could give 2 concurrent HD streams, I would be happy.

They do integrate with Myth very well.
jnewcastle
Kalamazoo, MI

jnewcastle

Yes I have had my prime using all 3 tuners at one time without a problem. In order to get all 3 working with .25 you have to do a little trickery, but .26 has fixed this config problem.