spc
Search similar:

uniqs
crazydog
join:2011-09-10
Flagstaff, AZ

1 edit

crazydog

Is this a viable way to get around the ETF?

One line on our family plan's contract has ended. I want to cancel my line, but my contract ends in december. Can we swap phone numbers, and then cancel the line with the ended contract without paying the ETF?

One line on our family plan's contract has ended. I want to cancel my line, but my contract ends in december. Can we swap phone numbers, and then cancel the line with the ended contract without paying the ETF?

Here's a better way to explain it.
-----------
My line: 1234
Line with contract up: 3456
------------
1) I transfer 1234 to T-Mobile

2) 1234 is reassigned a new number on Verizon, say, 7890

3) I transfer the 3456 number to the 7890 line

4) I cancel the 3456 line that is now 3456.

norbert26
Premium Member
join:2010-08-10
Warwick, RI

norbert26

Premium Member

when you port 1234 out to t-mobile that line it was ported from will be terminated. If there is an ETF on that line you will get hit with it.

JimThePCGuy
Formerly known as schja01.
MVM
join:2000-04-27
Morton Grove, IL

JimThePCGuy to crazydog

MVM

to crazydog
Swap numbers between your phones first.
Make sure the number you want to port to T-Mobile is on the line you ultimately want to cancel.
Once that is done port the number on the ended contract (now 1234) to T-Mobile. As part of the porting process Vz will cancel the line automatically and since it's the non-contract line no ETF. It's a multi-step process but not difficult.

bobjohnson
Premium Member
join:2007-02-03
Spartanburg, SC

bobjohnson

Premium Member

In OPs example #1234 is going to carry the contract no matter which phone you transfer it to. If you transfer it then port out it will be charged the ETF.

joetaxpayer
I'M Here Till Thursday
join:2001-09-07
Sudbury, MA

joetaxpayer to crazydog

to crazydog
Call TMobile and ask. Once you cancel the expired contract phone, they should have no issue helping you change equipment, i.e moving the contract phone number to other phone.