share rss forum feed

koitsu
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-16
Mountain View, CA
kudos:23
reply to Krisnatharok

Re: Ars Forecast: SSD prices will continue to slide

I look forward to the day of 1TB SSDs for affordable prices (maybe US$150 or thereabouts).

There is basically very little competition in the mechanical HDD market right now -- you have Seagate, Western Digital, Samsung, and Fujitsu (those are the only major players I know of at this point) -- while at the same time you have firmware fiascos and marketing-driven nonsense that claims they've solved issues they themselves created.

Thus to me it's funny (in a good way) that SSDs are in effect creating new competition in an otherwise stale storage market filled with vendors who are screwing around rather than making good products.

There is lots of competition in the SSD market. I can't even name all the brands at this point -- Crucial, Corsair, OCZ, Kingston, Intel, Samsung, Western Digital, Mushkin, Patriot, and SanDisk -- though I imagine some of those are rebranded (for example some Kingston models are rebranded Intels), and I'm probably missing a few vendors too.

That's why the sooner high-capacity affordable SSDs get here, the better. Of course, at the same time, there's still a lot of education that needs to be dispersed amongst the industry for understanding how to treat an SSD (as many aspects differ from that of MHDDs).

This is one area -- right now quite possibly the only area! -- of computing that I actually look forward to.
--
Making life hard for others since 1977.
I speak for myself and not my employer/affiliates of my employer.

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit
kudos:12

said by koitsu:

There is lots of competition in the SSD market. I can't even name all the brands at this point -- Crucial, Corsair, OCZ, Kingston, Intel, Samsung, Western Digital, Mushkin, Patriot, and SanDisk -- though I imagine some of those are rebranded (for example some Kingston models are rebranded Intels), and I'm probably missing a few vendors too.

Agreed! And we, the consumers, benefit from that competition!

OT: Have you checked out the new OCZ Vector drives? Supposedly the first built on the new, in-house Indilinx controllers. They're very pricey (right above $1/GB)--do you see any compelling advantage to go for one of those over the more traditional SandForce-driven SSDs that are selling around $.80/GB?
--
Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

koitsu
Premium,MVM
Mountain View, CA

said by Krisnatharok:

OT: Have you checked out the new OCZ Vector drives? Supposedly the first built on the new, in-house Indilinx controllers. They're very pricey (right above $1/GB)--do you see any compelling advantage to go for one of those over the more traditional SandForce-driven SSDs that are selling around $.80/GB?

I've looked at reviews of them (specifically Vertex 4), and "they look fast", but I was a little wary of them given me raising my eyebrow over the performance of the 1.5 firmware: »Re: Which SSD drive to get?
--

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit
kudos:12

I believe the Vector series are different than the Vertex 4 series: »Tom's Review: New OCZ Vector SSDs/ OCZ Barefoot controller
--
Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

koitsu
Premium,MVM
Mountain View, CA

Oops! Vertex, Vector, sigh... shame on them for naming them so similarly! (Okay, that's a miserable attempt at saving face... *sheepish grin*) I'll read the review and details later and follow up. Thank you.
--