uniqs
share rss forum feed

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in
kudos:2

[NFL] Sanchez Benched, Tebow heading to CFL?

Well Rex finally manned up and benched Sanchez, but decided to start McElroy instead of Tebow. WTF? You are going to start an unknown against an experienced QB? Only in the Jets world....

They can't get rid of Sanchez, otherwise they'll take a hit of over on the salary cap and lets be honest, after this season, who wants him?

More rumours are abound they'll going to seek yet another veteran to compete for the starting job? If that's true, why did they both acquiring Tebow? They barely used him!

Now Tebow is rumoured to be asking for a trade, or released from his contract, and the CFL world is abuzz that he might come north where he will be assured of a starting position.

The Montreal Alouettes are rumored to hold his CFL rights.
--
No, I didn't. Honest... I ran out of gas. I... I had a flat tire. I didn't have enough money for cab fare. My tux didn't come back from the cleaners. An old friend came in from out of town. Someone stole my car. There was an earthquake.......

shaner
Premium
join:2000-10-04
Calgary, AB

First off, Tebow would be horrible in the CFL. He can't throw to the wide side of the field. The extra DB would confuse him, and all that motion in the backfield? Oh my.

Tebow would not be assured of a starting gig. He's the property of the Alouettes, who have a pretty darn good Hall of Fame calibre QB in Anthony Calvillo already. AC isn't hanging them up anytime soon.

I think he's gonna end up in Jacksonville. It's the perfect fit for him. Prodigal son coming home and all that.

MuDvAyNe
Premium
join:2002-03-02
Brooklyn, NY
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
·Verizon FiOS

1 recommendation

reply to elwoodblues

The Jets would be better off starting Tebow these last 2 games. Maybe they would be able to acquire a 4th or 5th round pick instead of a 6th or 7th which is what they would probably get if anyone really wanted him. I still believe Tebow could succeed in the NFL. The way the Jets have used him is atrocious.
--
Mets, Cowboys, Devils

shaner
Premium
Calgary, AB

If Tebow started and won the last two games, that would put the nail in the coffin for Rex Ryan. Not that I don't expect him to be fired anyways, but I think he's saving himself the embarrassment of Tebow showing him up.

btB

@rr.com
reply to elwoodblues

Tebow would not be a starter with the Als obviously. That does not mean he would not be useful in some manner.

Tebow could be the short yardage guy as Jim Popp expects Adrian McPherson to sign elsewhere. Instead of just the 2nd or 3rd & under a yard guy, maybe Tebow could also be in when it is 2nd & 2, 3, or even 4 instead of Calvillo. In addition, Tebow could also be the change-of-pace guy. At 40 years old, Calvillo is no threat to leave the pocket. So putting in a different style quarterback would force defenses to prepare for more options when playing the Als.

Edmonton did this sort of thing in 2011 when Kerry Joseph came in every once in awhile for the similarly non-mobile Ricky Ray. Another reason Kavis Reed did this was to protect Ray who was getting hit all the time. So if Tebow can lessen the chance of Calvillo getting hit, that cannot be a bad thing.

Blogger
Jedi Poster
Premium
join:2012-10-18
Reviews:
·Champion Broadba..
reply to elwoodblues

said by elwoodblues:

Well Rex finally manned up and benched Sanchez, but decided to start McElroy instead of Tebow. WTF? You are going to start an unknown against an experienced QB?

"Teabow...an experienced QB." Wow, that's what he is? Thanks! I've watched him in the pros and couldn't figure out what position he was trying to be or play. His game didn't match any known physical skill set in the NFL that I could see.

I AM
Premium
join:2010-04-11
Ephrata, PA
kudos:4
reply to elwoodblues

Tebow to the Cowboys!! I mean he can't throw as many picks as Tono ROMO!!!

footballdude
Premium
join:2002-08-13
Imperial, MO
reply to shaner

said by shaner:

If Tebow started and won the last two games, that would put the nail in the coffin for Rex Ryan. Not that I don't expect him to be fired anyways, but I think he's saving himself the embarrassment of Tebow showing him up.

It was telling that no one from the Jets organization showed up to Tebow's press conference when he first came to the Jets. The owner wanted him but none of the coaches did. Ryan refused to play him (despite losing to him the previous season). Now that Sanchez has played himself out of the lineup, if Tebow were to come in and play decent (not even good, just decent), Ryan would look like a complete clown. Also, Tebow has a whole lot of incentives built into his contract based on performance so the Jets GM has no incentive to put Tebow in and give him any chance at hurting the Jets salary cap even more than it already is. I'll be really surprised if Tebow is still a Jet next year.
--
Concentrated power has always been the enemy of liberty - Ronald Reagan

footballdude
Premium
join:2002-08-13
Imperial, MO
reply to Blogger

said by Blogger:

said by elwoodblues:

Well Rex finally manned up and benched Sanchez, but decided to start McElroy instead of Tebow. WTF? You are going to start an unknown against an experienced QB?

"Teabow...an experienced QB." Wow, that's what he is? Thanks! I've watched him in the pros and couldn't figure out what position he was trying to be or play. His game didn't match any known physical skill set in the NFL that I could see.

A winning record with a previously losing team and a playoff victory. That doesn't count as experience? Would you consider Koepernick experienced?

It's funny that everyone blasted the Broncos last season for running the option offense with Tebow, but this season several NFL teams are doing the same thing. The Skins, Panthers, 49ers, and Bucs have all adopted a variation of the college style offense. I think we'll see more of this in the future. QBs get hurt, there's no getting around it. And many teams fall apart when that happens. But running a college offense means that many young QBs will have a much easier time adjusting to the pro game. Look what happened to the Redskins when RG3 got hurt. Another rookie stepped in and they didn't miss a beat. By running an offense that's easier for young players to pick up, a team gives themselves the option of replacing their QB every four or five years with the latest college phenom instead of trying to build the next Elway/Manning/Brady for the long haul.
--
Concentrated power has always been the enemy of liberty - Ronald Reagan

capdjq
What, me care?
Premium
join:2000-11-01
Coastie
reply to elwoodblues

Tebow will flop and may not even be wanted in the CFL. Some team might take him to improve attendance and nothing more.
The CFL is a passing league. With its larger field passing is main attribute for a QB and Tebow can't throw. That is his main failing. He has a great work ethic and leadership abilities but he can't PASS.

Rook008
Miles To Go
Premium
join:2002-02-05
Far Rockaway, NY
reply to elwoodblues

Tebow should sign with the Jags next season.
They've got nothing to lose and the fans will go just to see him.

Blogger
Jedi Poster
Premium
Reviews:
·Champion Broadba..
reply to elwoodblues

I agree with what I saw and heard Steve Young say about Tebow. Young and I both think that he needs to go somewhere or do what is necessary to learn how to correctly physically throw the ball. His current method is both physically wrong and ineffective.

Tebow should also go somewhere outside of the NFL and play a couple of years learning the QB skill required to be successful in the NFL.

Young added that in essence the time Tebow has spent in the NFL so far has just taken away the time Tebow could have used doing the above and then come back with an opportunity to try and succeed in the NFL with his newly acquired skills and experience. Young said all of the above in a positive and authoritative way when speaking about Tebow.

Young also was not very favorable about Jim Harbaugh's decision for the QB change but he danced around directly criticizing him when pressed. He did say that the thought that Smith was an excellent QB and that he, (Young) could not even imagine if he had happen to him what happen to Smith that he could be a positive and team oriented in his public comments and reaction to the situation as Smith had been. Young gave Smith an "A Plus."

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
Somewhere in
reply to elwoodblues

The Sports channels are all ablaze with both Tebow and Sanchez given the heave go (so to speak) .

Latest rumor is Alex Smith to the Jets.

MuDvAyNe
Premium
join:2002-03-02
Brooklyn, NY

Alex Smith would not succeed in the Jets system, hell I don't think he could succeed anywhere except in SF.
--
Mets, Cowboys, Devils

berserken

join:2011-03-27
Oakland, CA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to Blogger

After Kaepernick was named the NFC offensive player of the week, Young just can't stop dancing.

Here's a guy who's hardly played, and they're going into Seattle - I was in Seattle earlier this year. There is no more difficult place to play than playing this defense in Seattle. It's going to be brutal. I have a feeling they're not going to ask him to do too much, and what they ask him to do he'll do, and he'll find little ways to do more, to do the extra, to do something that you didn't expect, to go win the football game. That's when quarterbacking gets really good from a coach's standpoint: What I ask him to do, he'll do, and then there's something that's inexplicable, something that I couldn't coach, something that I couldn't draw up, and it's positive. And it wins the game. Whether it's a 50-yard run or different throws or some big scramble - those are the kinds of things that makes coaching and winning games a lot easier.

Despite the fact that it was hard for me to deal with the transition and how it went, I've got to say that Colin - you couldn't ask for more at this point.

btB

@rr.com
reply to elwoodblues

Some people say that Tebow would be a disaster in the CFL. Contracts are not even guaranteed, so the Als could just release him whenever. Point is, CFL teams have nothing to lose should Tebow ever want to try the CFL. Even if Tebow were a backup to begin with, it does not necessarily mean he would throw that many passes. McPherson only attempted 5 passes all season long before they rested Calvillo in the final regular season game. Quinton Porter even had fewer passes than that backing up Henry Burris. Porter completed zero passes on one attempt.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
Somewhere in

I thought that most NFL contracts weren't guaranteed either?

pjhofmann

join:2000-08-22
Cary, NC
reply to elwoodblues

I honestly have no idea why the Jets traded for Tebow in the first place, then to never really use him, it's a complete mess. I never thought Sanchez was that great but serviceable and acquiring Tebow only screwed up his mind. No reason to not start Tebow now especially after getting him like they did, if he flames out then get rid of him.

fatness
subtle
Premium,ex-mod 01-13
join:2000-11-17
fishing
kudos:14

said by pjhofmann:

No reason to not start Tebow now especially after getting him like they did, if he flames out then get rid of him.

The reason not to start Tebow is because the Jets think McElroy may be a future help to them while Tebow won't be. They're going to get rid of Tebow, who will reportedly ask to be cut or traded.
--
my pants are parched and thirsty

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
Somewhere in

Frankly I think the reason tebow isn't starting is if he starts and wins the last two games, is it'llake Rex look bad , Tebowmania will be heading out of town. Sanchez (in light of his contract) will start next season.

FFH
Premium
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ
kudos:5

said by elwoodblues:

Frankly I think the reason tebow isn't starting is if he starts and wins the last two games, is it'llake Rex look bad , Tebowmania will be heading out of town. Sanchez (in light of his contract) will start next season.

The deal the Jets made to get Tebow looks stupid if they never planned on using him. Why was it again they traded to get him in the 1st place? Was that an owner decision the coach was against from the beginning?
--
A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves money from the public treasury.

Merry Christmas »goo.gl/Y2AEF

StudioTech
Off The Air

join:2001-10-10
Edison, NJ

said by FFH:

The deal the Jets made to get Tebow looks stupid if they never planned on using him. Why was it again they traded to get him in the 1st place? Was that an owner decision the coach was against from the beginning?

You can sum it up in three letters... P-S-L

fatness
subtle
Premium,ex-mod 01-13
join:2000-11-17
fishing
kudos:14
reply to FFH

said by FFH:

Was that an owner decision the coach was against from the beginning?

I think it was an owner decision to get him. And I think once the coaching staff saw his abilities and progress, or lack of both, in practices and preseason games, it was a coaching decision not to play him.

He's not a good QB and he hasn't progressed much toward being one in 3 years in the league.
--
my pants are parched and thirsty

btB

@rr.com
reply to elwoodblues

Supposedly, it is almost a lock that Tebow will end it in Jacksonville. If that were to fall through, Chris Mortenson (for what it is worth) is saying that sources close to Tebow have told him that the CFL is not an option.

I guess that means the Als will have to look elsewhere to get a short yardage quarterback.

shaner
Premium
Calgary, AB

The Als just signed Kyle Quinlan the other day as the heir apparent to Calvillo. At least Quinlan has proven that he can throw on a regulation CFL field. Oh, and he's won the Hec Crighton trophy, so he's no slouch. I'm so happy to see Canadian grown QB talent finally getting a shot in the CFL instead of that position always reserved for imports.

So yeah, Tebow would end up 3rd on the depth chart at QB in Montreal anyways.
--
I'm a man, but I can change. If I have to. I guess.

»shaner38.blogspot.com/

Blogger
Jedi Poster
Premium
Reviews:
·Champion Broadba..
reply to elwoodblues

You know I don't understand how any person IMO that is knowledgeable about the QB position and passing could ever think that Tebow could with his current total package of skills even remotely come close to being a professional level passer in any league. Just the way he throws the ball is horrendous. I am talking about the pure mechanics and the trajectory or flight of the ball and accuracy or releases on timing routes as well as the types of passes he cannot throw but an NFL QB must be able to throw. I'm also not even talking about his reads, audibles or the other skills needed.

I am seriously amazed at those that back him strictly on the above within the context of the areas I critique.

I'm speaking in general about Tebow and the subject and I when I refer to his backers I am referring to the totality of those in the national collective not any specific poster in this or any other thread here.

btB

@rr.com
reply to shaner

You have to be realistic about Quinlan. Guy was eligible but not even drafted last year. Plus, he is hardly a physical specimen either. To me, he looks looks like a skinny high school quarterback. To be brutally honest, I would classify him closer to somebody who maybe hangs on by being on the practice roster rather than somebody who might be a starter in the CFL.

capdjq
What, me care?
Premium
join:2000-11-01
Coastie
reply to Blogger

said by Blogger:

You know I don't understand how any person IMO that is knowledgeable about the QB position and passing could ever think that Tebow could with his current total package of skills even remotely come close to being a professional level passer in any league. Just the way he throws the ball is horrendous. I am talking about the pure mechanics and the trajectory or flight of the ball and accuracy or releases on timing routes as well as the types of passes he cannot throw but an NFL QB must be able to throw. I'm also not even talking about his reads, audibles or the other skills needed.

I am seriously amazed at those that back him strictly on the above within the context of the areas I critique.

I'm speaking in general about Tebow and the subject and I when I refer to his backers I am referring to the totality of those in the national collective not any specific poster in this or any other thread here.

Never watched his College career, but I read he had much success. How did he accomplish that?
--
one cigarette costs 2 minutes of your life.
one bottle of beer costs 4 minutes of your life.
one working day costs 8 hours of your life.

capecoddah

join:2005-03-18
Yarmouth Port, MA
kudos:1
reply to elwoodblues

I read: Sanchez beheaded.
Another option.

Blogger
Jedi Poster
Premium
Reviews:
·Champion Broadba..

1 edit
reply to capdjq

He played on a top caliber team and his passing was set up by the running game of which he as a runner/passer/option player was built around. he was 6'3' or so, muscular, with decent speed, agility, and power so that fit with SEC team offense. If he had to have played on any team requiring him to be a pocket passer in college he would have failed miserably there. He wouldn't have been drafted in any round by any NFL team.