uniqs
share rss forum feed

cookeys
Premium,MVM
join:2001-06-10
Orland Park, IL

[WIN8] Explorer.exe usage

Hi,

Earlier today, I installed the Windows 8 Pro upgrade on top of an existing Windows 7 installation. The install went smoothly. But I've noticed that since the install got done, explorer.exe has been running non-stop at 16% of the CPU. I have a Core I7 3.4GHz processor with turbo boost to 3.7. The monitor has been showing 3.6GHz non-stop as well, and the computer is running 8 or 9 degrees warmer than it usually does.

I'm not sure what's causing it. Task Manager just shows Window Explorer as the culprit.

Is this something normal? Or is there something that I can adjust.

Some background about my computer:

Intel Core i7-2600 3.4GHz processor
MSI P67A-C43 Motherboard
GeForce GTX55oTi video card.

I had all of the drivers completely updated on Win 7 before installing Win 8.

Any ideas on what I can try would be very much appreciated.

cookeys
Premium,MVM
join:2001-06-10
Orland Park, IL

I figured it out. I had an EXE on my desktop. Not a shortcut, but an actual EXE. As soon as I deleted the EXE, explorer started behaving normally. I'm not sure if it was a problem with the specific EXE, or if having an EXE on the desktop creates problems.

Anyway, problem avoided. I won't say solved, because I really don't think that explorer should have this problem just because there's an EXE on the desktop. Windows 7 didn't.

St0ry

join:2004-02-16
USA
reply to cookeys

I've had several EXEs on my desktop and didn't notice this, so it looks like just that specific EXE is causing your problem.

OZO
Premium
join:2003-01-17
kudos:2
reply to cookeys

Desktop is just a folder (%USERPROFILE%\Dewsctop). You should be able to put there any file you want/need...

--
Keep it simple, it'll become complex by itself...