Warzau
Premium Member
join:2000-10-26
Naperville, IL

Warzau

Premium Member

[WHS] Can I move client backups to same drive as OS

Click for full size
I installed WHS2011 IIRC early last year on a spare computer. It has 4 drives recently noticed I was running out of room so I was cleaning up and deleting videos, I don't watch. I just realized that after 2 years originally when I installed the OS, WHS partitioned the primary drive which is 900 GB OS into 4 partitions, OS partition is 59 GB. Then another 173 GB and then finally a 700 GB partition which was not active all this time. I them created a simple partition to make it active. Would it be a bad idea to use this partition for storage or moving client backups to it? I know under normal circumstances any other Windows OS it isn't too much of a issue. But is it best to keep any storage off the OS drive? I do this with my Win 7 computer OS one drive 3 other drives as storage for image,music, videos.
Shootist
Premium Member
join:2003-02-10
Decatur, GA

Shootist

Premium Member

Never really worked with Home Server but from my slight experience with the True server OS and many years of different versions of Windows desktop OSs Windows does NOT partition drives by itself.
And especially after the fact, IE after an install of the OS. That is all done by the Person doing the install at the time they did the install. In fact Windows usually want to use the Complete Drive as one partition. It is up to the person doing the install to Go Custom and create a smaller partition then the complete drive to install the OS on.

So whenever it was that you install WHS on that PC you created the OS partition and what is now the G partition during the install.

Warzau
Premium Member
join:2000-10-26
Naperville, IL

1 edit

Warzau

Premium Member

I just did some research, seems that WHS 2011 doesn't give you the option to specify the size of partition during install.

»forums.connecteddigitalw ··· rtition/
Shootist
Premium Member
join:2003-02-10
Decatur, GA

1 recommendation

Shootist to Warzau

Premium Member

to Warzau
Ok, didn't know that.

Good Luck.