uniqs

Koil
Premium Member
join:2002-09-10
Irmo, SC

Koil

Premium Member

WarZ?? I thought it was called DayZ....oh wait... lulz

Allegations Of False Advertising Hound 'The War Z' Release On Steam [Update: Valve Pulls Game From Steam]
»www.forbes.com/sites/eri ··· n-steam/

Decent article that summarizes pretty much all that has happened with this shit developer and their attempt to rip off the gaming market. Don't think they'll be doing it again, any time soon.

Jobbie
Keep It Simple
Premium Member
join:2010-08-24
Mexico

Jobbie

Premium Member

I will wait for standalone DayZ to even bother with that kind of game, I've tried to launch the ARMA II mod but it has never worked, but I think it is an awesome game/idea.
Jobbie

Jobbie

Premium Member

To add to the topic, just read this interview with the lead developer for WarZ about the whole scandal.

»pc.gamespy.com/pc/the-wa ··· 0p1.html

TheBionic
Funkier than a mohair disco ball.
Premium Member
join:2009-07-06
united state

TheBionic to Koil

Premium Member

to Koil
Man, that's underhanded. Glad I didn't know this was coming out, I really like Day Z and may have bought it.

Moos
Tequilablob
Premium Member
join:2008-12-11
Salt Lake City, UT

Moos to Koil

Premium Member

to Koil
I purchased this game the other day for $12.99 on steam. They did implement the 100 player servers shortly after the steam release but they really screwed up by advertising content that they had "planned" as future content without stating the "future" part. Personally I don't feel like I got cheated by the advertising, but I did not read the entire description when I purchased the game either. I knew it was a DayZ clone beforehand and did not expect much more than Dayz. If I would have paid $40, I would be pissed. (Actually I probably would not have bought it for that.)

I'm not trying to defend hammerpoint in any way shape or form as they screwed up on their release, but I dont think this game is a scam. I really liked DayZ until the hackers took it over, so that's why this appealed to me. If you enjoyed DayZ you would probably enjoy this, but if your expecting high visual quality in a groundbreaking Zombie game, this is definately not that game. It's more enjoyable than DayZ IMO, but for game quality it represents a $13 game. The graphics are basically the same as DayZ (rating of Meh).

For the gameplay itself though, It's not that bad. It's basically DayZ 2.0, or an improved DayZ standalone. They have changed some of the annoyances that were in DayZ, such as, you dont have to install multiple mods on top of a purchased game (Yuck Sixx Installer.) The map is smaller, which is nice. It's still big enough to be annoying, but you only have to run for 10 minutes to get from point a to point B instead of 30. They added safe zones where you can store/swap gear with your other toons that are in the safe zones, and in general it's just less buggy, and a few others.

I have spent the past few nights running from zombies, trying to stay alive and find gear/guns with a few friends and have had a lot of fun doing it. It's fun because of the concept, and to me it's worth $13 for the provided entertainment. Again, I don't think it's a scam, just retarded developers that apparently have no clue how the business side of things work. One thing that is silly is the micro-transactions in the game. I can't see anybody paying real money for a metal baseball bat that they are going to lose in 30 minutes when they die.

El Quintron
Cancel Culture Ambassador
Premium Member
join:2008-04-28
Tronna

El Quintron

Premium Member

I bought it, and put about 2 hours into it... it's pretty fun, even if all I've managed to do is run away lots and kill all of two zombies.

TRU
join:2005-07-21
Michigan

TRU to Moos

to Moos
I completely fault the developer AND Valve. Who, as boss of a development studio, actually blames the customers for "misreading the description" as an apology? What a slap in the face if I ever knew one. It was obvious they put in false claims, yes false claims, to sell as many units as they possibly could. It feels simply like a cash grab. How can anyone look at it as anything but?

It's someone cashing in on the popularity of DayZ. And totally being really f*!king creative with the name of their rip-off. /end sarcasm

I also blame Valve. In the end, it's their responsibility to manage, protect, and look after the integrity of their service. Not just for their brand name but also for their customers. They basically allowed WarZ to work over a number of customers(many who demanded refunds), sell a low quality game, and then on top of that pull the game because "Oops, this is turning into a real flippin shit storm..."

I dont get how they let this crap dev team to have a game on Steam when there are soooo many more deserving developments out there that are sweating, having to jump through hoops and hurdles just sitting in limbo on Greenlight.

Here, take a look for yourself: »kotaku.com/5969784/the-w ··· w-so-far

Just utterly ridiculous.

VioletVenom
Lets go Gators
Premium Member
join:2002-01-02
Gainesville, FL

VioletVenom to Koil

Premium Member

to Koil
Here is a time line someone posted on reddit concerning war z.
»www.reddit.com/r/gaming/ ··· imeline/

While Day Z has intrigued me, the premise sounds like a game I'd enjoy, I have yet to try it out. As to war z, I'll be avoiding it like the plague. After following the drama involved it seems like a pure money grab by Hammerpoint to cash in on someone else's idea. Down to calling the latest release of war z a "foundation release", a phrase coined by Day Z fans. Adding a 4 hour cooldown upon death which can be circumvented by buying a res with real money?! Not to mention the way they've treated their customers that have purchased the game.

No thank you!

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok

Premium Member

Agreed, I'll be steering far away from War Z (sounds like the E Machine eMac rip-off of the first iMacs in the 90s) and anything Hammerpoint comes up with.

I got DayZ working and gave it a couple spins--incredibly difficult by yourself and the Arma II mechanics underneath it make intuitive actions excruciatingly painful. I hear hackers are in it now, so I am looking forward to the DayZ standalone game.

VioletVenom
Lets go Gators
Premium Member
Gainesville, FL

VioletVenom

Premium Member

Hackers in Day or War Z? I've heard people claiming War Z has hackers playing. I would like to try out Day Z at some point. I've seen a video or two about griefing, coupled with hacking wouldn't be much fun. Pure griefing is to be expected now days.

TheBionic
Premium Member
united state

TheBionic

Premium Member

said by VioletVenom:

Hackers in Day or War Z? I've heard people claiming War Z has hackers playing. I would like to try out Day Z at some point. I've seen a video or two about griefing, coupled with hacking wouldn't be much fun. Pure griefing is to be expected now days.

I got sick of all the updating and whatnot on the Day Z mod... just waiting on the official stand alone game. Which I thought was supposed to come out by the end of the year. I guess it was delayed?

VioletVenom
Lets go Gators
Premium Member
Gainesville, FL

1 edit

1 recommendation

VioletVenom

Premium Member

I'll see if I can find it, but I think all of this with War Z has hit Rocket pretty hard and he's taking some time off from developing DayZ.
said by Rocket :
I know I have been very quiet lately. So this will be really all I'll say for the moment.

I've been pretty depressed about the whole situation. From a personal standpoint, this whole "saga" of the development made me seriously question if I wanted to be involved in the industry and I gave serious thought to cutting my losses and not being involved in the project.

At my Army Discharge medical this week, they noted I now have high blood pressure. Some things in life just aren't worth worrying about.

I've been getting hammered by a massive amount with requests for information about DayZ release, interviews and my reactions to this and stuff and such - but for my own sanity I retreated and have kept to myself. Right now I'm just at home doing bits and pieces on the DayZ development. The rest of the DayZ team is doing the same.

I realize that I went back on my word about releasing an update, but went back into my shell for a bit last week, and I'll come out when the dust is all settled.

TheBionic
Premium Member
united state

TheBionic

Premium Member

Thanks for posting that...man, bummer. I think Rocket needs some meds.

VioletVenom
Lets go Gators
Premium Member
Gainesville, FL

VioletVenom to Koil

Premium Member

to Koil
The saga continues.

Looks like War Z is going to have to change its name due to Trademark infringement upon Paramount's World War Z. Again Sergey is spreading disinformation pertaining to his game claiming the Trademark is "live", while they have known since Nov that their application has been suspended.

»forums.thewarz.com/showt ··· of/page9

»warzscam.tumblr.com/post ··· ded-game