spc
uniqs
syntaxerr0r
join:2008-05-27
East York, ON

syntaxerr0r to TSI Marc

to TSI Marc

Re: Discussion about log retention

I'm also in favour of zero logs. I don't like the idea of all my whereabouts being recorded in general, the internet is no exception.

If law enforcement wants to snoop on a criminal, they should be able to request that logs be turned on specifically for that user, following the same due process observed to initiate phone line wiretaps. A private phone conversation only exists in the participants' memories once they hang up. Internet activity logs point to persistent data that can be read back by merely visiting the URL.

I don't think it's the role of my ISP to collect data about my activities in a completely indiscriminate and fashion. Unfortunately, it seems that in order to opt-out one must pay and use a VPN service.

People willing to trade their freedom for temporary security deserve neither and will lose both.

Tx
bronx cheers from cheap seats
Premium Member
join:2008-11-19
Mississauga, ON

Tx

Premium Member

said by syntaxerr0r:

I'm also in favour of zero logs. I don't like the idea of all my whereabouts being recorded in general, the internet is no exception.

Unfortunately i do not see this happening since Teksavvy is basically in support of handing over the information "legally". They have zero issues handing over logs, and considering they themselves considered an extension of an additional 90 day on top of their current 90 day they have no plans to protect any of TSI customers.

Ignore the fact i said protect. It's not just about protecting, the reasoning behind the extended logs for "police" and such is horse poop. Other ISP's world wide manage with 2 weeks to NONE. Until there is a law forcing x(days) retention on all logging i see absolutely zero reason for it.

almost 3 years of growing pains. Wait times still high and i guarantee this crap is only making their lines busier and an ISP that has zero plans to protect their customers. Protecting their customers has nothing to do with protecting criminals. It's about what's right. It is our right to be protected by you unless their is irrefutable proof, not just an internet protocol address

Now again that word protect. Ok, don't object to the current 2300 IPs, but you can protect your customers in a different way. Not their piracy, but simply their privacy. Stop logging. How no one see's the fact that Teksavvy believes in this practice (law is the law and we dont mind handing over information as long as it's done by the law) is beyond me.

Honestly feel sorry for those who are innocent. Even those who are guilty of it. You'll be treated like a murderer, if not worse. Biggest crime to humanity!

Marc, stop logging. Set a precedence in this country and gain a notoriety for doing the right thing. Doing so does not make you a pirate ISP. It make's you a ISP that gives two shits about their customers, not just saying you do.

I am also not willing to trade my freedoms for police enforcement to have access to something 6 months ago. Police should not depend on an ISP's logging practices to go after someone. It's not the ISP's job, and as the ISP, pretending you're doing due service in return giving up your customers is unfortunate.

QuantumPimp
join:2012-02-19

QuantumPimp to syntaxerr0r

to syntaxerr0r
Before Watchmen Rorschach:

People happy being controlled being dominated.

Handing over the knife. The Responsibility.

But when it's used against them ... do they get what they deserve?