spc

spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Krack

@bell.ca

Why on eath am I lagging.... ? help please...

Hello there dsl reports... I am posting this message in hoping that someone maybe can help me to why I am having a problem that is bothering me...

Every time I play any online shooter I lag... But!!! I always have green bars or good ping. I have VDSL connection 25 mb down and 7 mb up... My ping usually is around 5 - 10 ms...

I have tried to stimulate high latency connection on my LAN, but with no results... I tried lowering my bandwidth... No results also... I tried NETGEAR router, DLINK, BELKIN, same thing.. I lag!!

Why is that so... Anyone know? What i can do?

My ISP is bell and when i contact them they said my line is clean. But, when I play I know my connection is the reason I cant have fun.

Help please?

tomdlgns
Premium
join:2003-03-21
Chicago, IL
kudos:1

how about connecting directly to the modem/equipment from the ISP?

have you tried with another computer?

how do you lower your bandwidth?

wired or wifi connection from the router to your computer??

mattmag
Premium,ExMod 2000-03
join:2000-04-09
NW Illinois
kudos:3
reply to Krack

There are many, many things that can cause transmission delays between your home equipment and the remote game servers, most all of which you have no control over.

hardly
Premium
join:2004-02-10
USA
reply to Krack

Have you seen this:

»Lagging In Online Games Really Bad No More

jkj860
The Final Frontier

join:2002-01-10
Valparaiso, IN
reply to Krack

When my boys play online with xbox they have to set the TV to gaming mode or else it has lag. Not sure what your set up is. Just an FYI.
--
I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but I am not sure you realize what you heard is not what I meant. Nixon

public

join:2002-01-19
Santa Clara, CA
reply to Krack

said by Krack :

Why is that so... Anyone know? What i can do?

Run this test
»netalyzr.icsi.berkeley.edu/

Krack

@bell.ca
reply to Krack

Thank you all for responding so far.

I have tried pretty much everything. I cant connect to modem only because I have a Sagecom modem/router gateway. I tried bridging it, but its still no help. I lowered my bandwidth using DD-WRT QoS feature.

Still after that no help... I am well aware that sometimes there is nothing you can do and you just have to live it, BUT. Its like I join any game in good lobby and still lag... I have great ping and stuff yet cant hit anything.... (no I dont suck, my friend came over and too said that my network is all messed up because he to was shooting blanks also...

Thank you for your input.

HELLFIRE
Premium
join:2009-11-25
kudos:18
reply to Krack

said by Krack :

I always have green bars or good ping.

Green bars... as in you are on a wireless B/G/N connection when gaming?

said by Krack :

My ping usually is around 5 - 10 ms...

Pings to WHERE is the key question... you don't specify TO WHAT you tested on, and WHEN
you tested. I'd start with a traceroute to the gameserver(s) you're connecting to,
and noting when you have lag occurring, and go from there.

Also, you said you tried bridging your Sagecom and were using DD-WRT... is it still bridged?
Double NATing -- i.e. you have both the Sagecom and your own router both doing NAT
-- is generally a surefire way to kill your internet speeds.

Regards

medbuyer

join:2003-11-20
kudos:4
reply to Krack

said by Krack :

I cant connect to modem only because I have a Sagecom modem/router gateway. I tried bridging it, but its still no help.

am I missing something? why can't you connect directly to the modem and try your connection to the gaming server with that direct connection?

why don't you start by explaining to us what your setup is?

Juke Box
His Word Never Fails
Premium
join:2001-01-29
Proverbs 3

1 edit
reply to Krack

Have you tried Speedtest.net. Post the results here.

Krack

@grouptelecom.net
reply to Krack

Thank you all for responding once again.

I know something is fishy with my connection because right now I have

BELL VDSL connection with 25mb down and 7 mb up. Yes, indeed I am fully aware that ping is based on the distance from my home to the server. BUT, my preferences for my games all set to best. Meaning that when I play in any lobby my ping varies from 10 to 22 ms. Which should be A ok....

Now this is what confuses me.... Before I had ADSL connection of 12 mb down and only 715 mb up. AND HAD NO PROBLEMS!!!! My ping would go from 50 to 60 ms in game lobbys but everything was awsome.

So I have upgraded my connection in hoping to really have a good gaming times. But its like everything back fired... Lagging....

My connection right now like this:

SAGECOM MODEM/GATEWAY--->NETGEAR WNDR 3600 router----> Wired PS3/Xbox360. I only have one more wireless lap top but its usually off...

I have bridged my sagecome/gateway modem and then proceeded to setup PPPOe user name and password with only Netgear router...

Im honestly confused. Because something is not right but I do now know what!!

HELLFIRE
Premium
join:2009-11-25
kudos:18
reply to Krack

said by Krack :

Meaning that when I play in any lobby my ping varies from 10 to 22 ms. Which should be A ok....

Lobby time rarely has anything to do with ingame time...

Does the game have any way of measuring ping times WHILE PLAYING THE GAME?

said by Krack :

Im honestly confused. Because something is not right but I do now know what!!

said by HELLFIRE:

Pings to WHERE is the key question... you don't specify TO WHAT you tested on, and WHEN
you tested. I'd start with a traceroute to the gameserver(s) you're connecting to,
and noting when you have lag occurring, and go from there.

Did you try answering / doing this yet? I don't see in any of your responses any actual data you've gathered for this.
Secondly, issue may not have to do with ping / latency but packet loss, in which case that's more difficult to track down.
It still comes down to WHAT you tested on and WHEN you tested -- again, a traceroute from your computer to the
gamesever(s) in question is the best place to start, and running ping tests from your PC to your ISP's default gateway,
and from your PC to the gameserver(s) in question as well.

You may want to use this format to record the results for later review

ping [ip address] -l 1472 -t > pingtest.txt

I forget if there's a way to add a timestamp to the above, but if possible it's also useful to help correlate.

Regards

shdesigns