pcdebb
birdbrain
Premium Member
join:2000-12-03
Brandon, FL

pcdebb

Premium Member

[Tech] mirrorless camera...good?

I'm thinking of trying something different and going lighter at the same time. I got a peek at a couple of these cameras, but dont know much about them. I'm a nikon fanboi so naturally i'm looking at the V2/J2 models.

anyone here own one?

EGeezer
Premium Member
join:2002-08-04
Midwest

1 recommendation

EGeezer

Premium Member

Re: mirrorless camera...good?

Be sure to review the availability of lenses for whatever mirrorless camera you are considering to be sure you get the focal length and speed you might want. At this time, it appears the selection is limited.

The smaller CX size sensor may mean less low light sensitivity and image quality, despite the larger number of pixels.

The people I know who bought the higher end Sony equivalents have been quite satisfied with them. These are folks who want decent quality images with compact format equipment, and who don't take photos in challenging lighting.

Jodokast96
Stupid people piss me off.
Premium Member
join:2005-11-23
NJ

1 recommendation

Jodokast96 to pcdebb

Premium Member

to pcdebb
Being a Pentax shooter, I have a Q. I got it for a good price, and like it enough that I'm probably going to pick up a second one so I don't have to fight my daughter for it. What I really like about mine is the ability to get an adapter to mount my other lenses to it. With the crop sensor (5.5x), it gives you a whole lot of reach. I've seen some extreme setups with people mounting them to 600mm lenses, lol. That's about a 3000mm equivalent! Generally though, I use mine as a P&S replacement. But more versatile.

Hayward0
K A R - 1 2 0 C
Premium Member
join:2000-07-13
Key West, FL

4 edits

Hayward0

Premium Member

said by Jodokast96:

Being a Pentax shooter

And what I have always appreciated about Pentax they are legacy everything maybe with limitations still work... and as the DLSR's got popular you could pick up old very quality glass used M and A lenses real cheap, even some of the early auto film lenses that would still work with the DSLR's.

Some of the other big brands (OK N/C) made a POINT of the fact you have to go all new, lot of old stuff just won't work right.

Again older Pentax lenses limited auto capabilities, but ALL still work to their abilities on any modern Pentax camera, and to capabilities they never had before like M/A lenses focus manually slowly dialed in AF confirmation and exposure if camera left in AF vs M mode with them. Very useful especially in low light situations... with those great old F1.2/0 and 2.0 28 and 50mm M/A lenses.

Even Pentax's IS is legacy lens adaptable, again a capability they never had. N/C nope gotta buy the internally IS lenses for that....

Arguably better (but have to buy it over and over in each lens), but Pentax's body based imager stabilization works very well, and again on any lens they (or others) have ever made for them... not just latest and greatest.

And again mirror or mirror less the lenses especially for the same brand should just plain work, shouldn't be starting all over again, just because its not reflex anymore.

And haven't had eyes on one yet, but the advantage of reflex is optical TTL POV... so they better have a damn good EVF even in very low light, maybe that is real now, but pre DSL I liked EVF on quasi DSL cams but suffered badly in low light but did video when DSLR's didn't and many biggies here said just couldn't (we know different now and said then I'll be telling you told you so to many stalwarts here who claimed NEVER POSSIBLE a few years ago) IT was like I was saying 12/12 was coming not just natural progression

There have been REAL MOVIES and videos shot entirely on HD DSLR's

Shit changes, some see it coming, others tooth and nail rooted say never, but inevitably WRONG.

And thank you PENTAX for NOT being one of THEM both appreciating you past and looking forward.

And actually I find this Mirror less thing most amusing... what quasi DSLR were a few years ago.

Maybe EVF have gotten that much better??? Again havent seen one of late... but the total opposite of 10 years ago saying they quasi SLR EVF thing was limited but great...

Now having been banned for arguing such for a while years ago when the tech wasn't there yet... funny to see it so turned around... and now people have to defend the mirror reflex.

Been a nice hybrid for a while... reflex for still and mirror less for video(though can be hard to see in daylight...why no vid VF).

They both have their places... and hope optical reflex never goes away.

And that is what I so much appreciate about Pentax, they both appreciate, cherish and SUPPORT their past, and still look to the future.

Coma
Thanks Steve
Premium Member
join:2001-12-30
NirvanaLand

Coma

Premium Member

TL, DR . . .

Hayward0
K A R - 1 2 0 C
Premium Member
Key West, FL

Hayward0

Premium Member

said by Coma:

TL, DR . . .

Nice cryptology, want to actually say something?

Coma
Thanks Steve
Premium Member
join:2001-12-30
NirvanaLand

Coma

Premium Member

Another late night of rambling that I found Too Long & Didn't Read.

drew
Radiant
Premium Member
join:2002-07-10
Port Orchard, WA

1 recommendation

drew to pcdebb

Premium Member

to pcdebb
I absolutely love my EOS M.

Christmas is supposed to bring the EF-M to EF adapter, so I'll be all set when that happens.

For me, I had to have a mirrorless offering with an appropriately large sensor. For me, the smallest I was willing to go was APS-C, which matches what's in my Canon 7D. This is why I wasn't interested in any M4/3 or the Nikon or Pentax offerings. The Sony NEX was an option, but I didn't care for the awkward body styling or for the lack of lens lineup. The Canon hit at the right time.

If you're looking for something that'll have the same quality you get out of your DSLR, which for me, DOF control is MASSIVELY important, you're going to need to spend some cash on a decently sized sensor. The Q that Jodo has was absolutely not an option for me due to that. Not necessarily a bad camera, just not the right one for me.

Hayward0
K A R - 1 2 0 C
Premium Member
Key West, FL

1 edit

Hayward0 to Coma

Premium Member

to Coma
said by Coma:

Another late night of rambling that I found Too Long & Didn't Read.

But of course still had to needlessly comment on, and take the effort to BOLD tag.

And it was a reply to Jodokast96 anyways.

rcroning
D700 Rocks
Premium Member
join:2005-05-21
Winnipeg, MB

rcroning to pcdebb

Premium Member

to pcdebb
Despite being a hardcore Nikon fan, I recently acquired two Samsung mirrorless models; the NX10 and NX100. After just a few uses each, I can't say I have anything bad to say about them. However, I haven't yet put them through their paces so eventually I may have some minor issues to complain about

Slidetbone
Mazin Go
Premium Member
join:2002-11-10
Land O Lakes, FL

Slidetbone to Jodokast96

Premium Member

to Jodokast96
I went with a Pentax K-01. Since I jumped the gun on the K-7, I was looking for a back up Pentax camera and didn't want to drop more on a K-5. The K-01 was a little too steep at first but in the past few months they dropped pricing to around $250-$325 and I will say this; the camera totally ROCKS! The high ISO low noise capability of this gem is amazing! Yes it looks like a brick but it is worth the money!

mromero
Premium Member
join:2000-12-07
Fullerton, CA

mromero to pcdebb

Premium Member

to pcdebb
While I dont own a mirrorless camera, I'd probably buy a Sony NEX 7 if I had to get one right now.

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· Qa9y_1Ns

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· OIAYQgyo

pcdebb
birdbrain
Premium Member
Brandon, FL
ARRIS DG1670

pcdebb

Premium Member

thanks guys. your feedback is helpful

I'm still reading things here and there. I was reading alot of reviews on amazon and alot of them are mixed. I think thats probably due to alot of people having the camera and not knowing what they are doing with it. I'm a Nikon fan, so naturally I'm looking at those and I dont know about other models, I think I remember seeing/reading about the Samsung models so I will follow that road again.

I've found that what I use my DSLR mostly for is casual portraits and a few outdoor photos here and there. portrait stuff is more important to me, and low light capabilities is a plus too.

drew
Radiant
Premium Member
Port Orchard, WA

1 recommendation

drew

Premium Member

I strongly urge you to consider the APS-C sized models from any brand as your #1 choice... Sony NEX, Canon EOS M, whatever

mromero
Premium Member
join:2000-12-07
Fullerton, CA

1 recommendation

mromero to pcdebb

Premium Member

to pcdebb
Sensor Sizes

Hayward0
K A R - 1 2 0 C
Premium Member
Key West, FL

1 edit

Hayward0 to pcdebb

Premium Member

to pcdebb
Must admit I haven't studied this a lot, but what is a Mirrorless cam but a high end sensor P&S?

Certainly SLR no longer applies.... so just super fancy P&S with settings flexibility??

I have in many ways liked EVF... but at the same time nothing like that pure optical look especially in low light/contrast.... EVF sort of fails at.

Sad still not really best of both worlds the CHOICE. SLRS that can lock mirror come close bit that only works for video, not on the fly still choice of optical or EVF and all near critically useless in daylight rear screen vs actual eye cupped dual or secondary (easier) EVF.

drew
Radiant
Premium Member
Port Orchard, WA

1 recommendation

drew

Premium Member

said by Hayward0:

Must admit I haven't studied this a lot, but what is a Mirrorless cam but a high end sensor P&S?

Certainly SLR no longer applies.... so just super fancy P&S with settings flexibility??

What is a digital rangefinder but a high end sensor P&S?

Chuck22
Premium Member
join:2003-11-10
Salt Lake City, UT

Chuck22 to Hayward0

Premium Member

to Hayward0
said by Hayward0:

but what is a Mirrorless cam but a high end sensor P&S? Certainly SLR no longer applies.... so just super fancy P&S with settings flexibility??

With interchangeable lens capability, it is more than a "high end" or "super fancy" P&S.

pcdebb
birdbrain
Premium Member
Brandon, FL
ARRIS DG1670

pcdebb to mromero

Premium Member

to mromero
thanks!! this definitely helps in my comparisons.

and I agree with you drew See Profile, the sensor size in the nikon 1 doesnt even come close to what I would want.

HotRodFoto
Premium Member
join:2003-04-19
Denver, CO

HotRodFoto

Premium Member

said by pcdebb:

thanks!! this definitely helps in my comparisons.

and I agree with you drew See Profile, the sensor size in the nikon 1 doesnt even come close to what I would want.

Go NEX or go home :P Seriously, Sony owns this market and for good reason too. I have been debating about getting a NEX 7 or a NEX 5n myself. The IQ is outstanding. »www.engadget.com/2012/12 ··· -review/