Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

camaroz

join:2002-10-23
Longwood, FL
reply to riot808

Re: [TWC] still lagging after a year

Is your modem connected to your router via a long run of ethernet cable, and your other devices connected to that? Or are you connecting via wireless directly on the modem? If you are having issues over multiple providers, I would check to make sure this ethernet cable isn't defective/shorting out.

Just a thought.

riot808

join:2012-07-06
Honolulu, HI

hi thanks for your input i've tried connecting through both my router and modem with different ethernets also... wirelessly and the lag is still happening... and today i got a new isp which is dsl through a phone jack and the same kind of lag is there from browsing the internet to gaming on console and pc... so i'm set on the fact it has to be electrical? or something interfering with the signal? idk it's just so odd cause it was never this bad before and i had 10mbs down and 1 up speed with old router and modem now i have all up to date equipment and 50 down 5 up and the isp i got today is 20down and 3up so... they are good speeds... others have these exact packages i play at their house and they don't lag like me... even when i host the games they say it doesn't feel like a hawaii host...

camaroz

join:2002-10-23
Longwood, FL

So you have plugged a laptop/PC ethernet directly into the modem, eliminating the router? Try rebooting the modem afterward.

I know this is pretty much a moot point now as you've tried multiple providers, but for kicks, Have you done the standard recommended troubleshooting steps? The big question is whether you are getting packet loss when you are lagging. Can you describe the lag in more detail. Is it a pause between starting to load web pages? loading parts of the page at a time, then stopping? or just generally sluggish?

speedtest.net
pingtest.net
ispgeeks.com advanced tests (capacity, speed test, route quality)

What do your line stats/levels look like? You can probably check them by going to your modems internal ip address. (usually 192.168.100.1, 192.168.1.1, or 10.0.0.1)

If your new modem is on the same electrical circuit/circuit breaker as the previous one. You may want to run an extension cord to another outlet in a different room to rule that out.

I doubt it is something with your house/interference if you've tried both DSL and cable. They are totally different technology using different lines (copper vs coaxial).

Keep in mind you are across the ocean from the rest of the US. I know your friends might seem to have a better connection, but there will be some latency if you are connecting to non-local sites. Try browsing around hawaii based sites and see if things are faster. hawaii.gov, hawaii.edu, doe.k12.hi.us, etc...

riot808

join:2012-07-06
Honolulu, HI

hi i've tried gaming in different rooms different outlets... surge protecters and power panels... i've tried the basic troubleshoot procedure and nothing changed... i did a ultima online packet loss test and there was no loss of ping i know before i did like in the beginning but now it doesn't happen anymore.. i understand that i live far away but i've been playing games now for 7 years now on xbox original to xbox 360 and ps3 also some games on pc and it never lagged like this at all... not even close to this... i would have 2 bars and such back then way way more than now and i wouldn't lag like how i do on a 4 bar... when i host the game for my friends that live near me and on the same island they say my host sucks even though they all have 4 bars... and i agree... i lag on my own host... i'll have a 4 bar on some cali hosts and my friends will 3 bar and i'll be lagging more then them... i'll get connection interruptions a lot and everything is really choppy it just feels like it's not in sync with something like it's off timed or something? and sometimes when it's really bad i'll just run forward and skip back to where i started a lot... as for browsing when i do youtube the videos buffer a lot... with the cable internet i've tried bypassing the splitter and gaming with the modem directly connected to the pole and there was no difference... so i'm just really puzzled at the moment... it's just odd to me how 2 different isps have the same problem... meaning it has to be an issue with my house right? unfortunately i don't know anyone on my block or too that games to ask... but my friends that live 10 mins to 20 mins away all have lower speeds and worst equipment and don't lag like i do... i hope this helps

thank you for your help i appreciate it and hope you guys can help me out of this crisis soon... i'm paying 100 bucks a month for one internet that hasn't worked for a year.. xD