Reviews:
·EarthLink
·Comcast
·Atlantic Nexus

2 recommendations

reply to nunya

Re: Future Proofing home networks

said by nunya:

Wireless just keeps getting better and better. All of our client devices are trending to wireless as well (phones, iPad's, laptop, kindle, etc...

In many places, wireless keeps getting worse and worse.

I used to get good wireless speeds but now there are too many neighbors with wireless routers to get reliable speeds. (I see 6 AP's or more in my client)

This is a neighborhood with 1/2 acre lots. Those in apartments have it worse.

It is fine for cell phone use but by laptop needs wired for HD video and my desktop needs gigabit for access to my server.
--
Scott Henion

Embedded Systems Consultant,
SHDesigns home - DIY Welder

JoelC707
Premium
join:2002-07-09
Lanett, AL
kudos:5
You know, I was thinking this too. Wireless has the potential to be a major game changer, at least in residential settings. I recently setup a new computer for a friend in an apartment near Mercer University. She mentioned horrible wireless interference as an issue and upon looking at inSSIDer it was clear why. I saw no less than 30 APs with each channel having 5-6 APs on it, and the major ones having more than that. I ran a cable instead of dealing with that.

Honestly for wireless to truly take off there needs to be some changes. First and foremost, get rid of 2.4 GHz, it's too crowded. Going to 5 GHz is of course going to reduce range but I'd rather have low signal at the far corners of my property than have 2.4 barely make it out of the house.

Sure this is a chicken and egg scenario, there's a lot of 2.4 only devices out there and just dropping 2.4 will cause problems. My opinion is there needs to be a major incentive to upgrade. Or if you just don't care about the speeds then run a separate G/N network. If you include both 2.4 and 5 in it as N does, you have no incentive to upgrade your devices and just keep it on 2.4 (I know mine is on 2.4 only).

The other major thing is speed. 300 meg N APs are great but honestly you are lucky to get 150 out of them. Sure, it's better than G and better than a typical fast ethernet wired connection but it doesn't take long to degrade and that fast ethernet connection is looking better and better. When they can make a wireless AP that delivers at least gigabit speeds at max distance, then we'll see widespread adoption.