uniqs
Deschain
join:2012-12-13
Blighty

Deschain

GPU Fan speed problem.

Hello all.

I think I have a strange problem.

I have recently bought a new MSI 7850 GPU and installed it ok, drivers etc.

I decided to test it out in FurMark. After about 10min, the temp is about 73c and the fan speed it at 56%. No problem with that. Its stable.

Then, when I open MSI Afterburner, the fan speed increases to 75%, as that's what Afterburner's setting are telling the fans to do at that temp.

When I close Afterburner when FurMark is still running, the fan speed drops down to 56% again.

Is there a way I can have the GPU work from Afterburner, without having to open it every time?

I used to have a GTX460 and didn't have this problem.

Thanks for your help.

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok

Premium Member

said by Deschain:

Is there a way I can have the GPU work from Afterburner, without having to open it every time?

Any settings you change in Afterburner require it to be open to be active--it's like any SW overclocking suite. I wouldn't worry about it.

I have heard that FurMark is no longer a reliable way to stress GPUs with the latest generation (it's possible this was Nvidia only, however), due to the dynamic turboboost technology they are using.

How hot does it get while gaming?

Are you overclocking at all?

What sort of case/fan setup do you have?
Deschain
Blighty

Deschain

So how can I change the fan speed per temp, or should I just leave it to the card to decide ?

What would you suggest to stress test a GPU these days? OCCT ?

I have not overclocked yet, no.

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok

Premium Member

MSI Kombuster
EVGA OC Scanner X
Heaven Unigine
3D Mark
OCCT

All can stress-test a GPU.

Some people even suggest running multiple things at once (a game, 3D Mark, and a movie) for maximum GPU flagellation.

I would let the GPU decide how fast to run the fan. If that doesn't give you peace of mind, then programs like EVGA E-Leet or MSI Afterburner let you load custom fan curves that ramp up the fan by a user-determined percentage based on heat.

I would check the temps inside a real game and not in a synthetic benchmark. If it's running too hot, reset the heat sink and reapply the TIM (odds are they put gobs of it on, and you should use very little).

McBrain
BRB Face Melting
join:2010-05-06
Marietta, GA

McBrain to Deschain

to Deschain
said by Deschain:

So how can I change the fan speed per temp, or should I just leave it to the card to decide ?

Open up MSI Afterburner and at the bottom of the display next to the fan speed slider click the button that says settings or something like that...it looks like a gear. In that menu, there's a tab to adjust fan speed per temp. Set it how you want it, then select apply. When you close that menu, click the other button that says something like apply user settings.
Deschain
Blighty

Deschain

OK, thanks for help. It seems that AMD Control Centre was controlling the fan speed.... I just disabled that and am using MSI Afterburner. Great!