uniqs
tomupnorth
join:2005-01-14
UpperMidwest

tomupnorth to whizkid3

to whizkid3

Re: Bare ground need conduit ??

said by whizkid3:

Anything beyond a single ground rod or water pipe gets a lot more complicated in regards to code requirements and is not normally needed, anyway.

Hmmm robbin said addt'l rods need a 6ga tie to the original, and you say it's "a lot more complicated" than that.

I wonder which is true?

I did mis-read the OP's question; I thought he was talking a bldg 100' away, but it seems it might be one building. In any case, my ? was e.g. for a service panel (with rod) to a house (no rod) to a separate garage (no rod). If a ground wire exists back to the main service panel, can add'tl rods be installed at the remote buildings.

whizkid3
MVM
join:2002-02-21
Queens, NY

whizkid3

MVM

said by tomupnorth:

I wonder which is true?

Robbin said a minimum of 6 AWG. THey are both true. I said nothing to the effect that its more complicated than ...robbins post.. as you are trying to make it sound by comparing the two in the same sentance.
said by tomupnorth:

In any case, my ? was e.g. for a service panel (with rod) to a house (no rod) to a separate garage (no rod).

This wasn't your question and is not what I responded to. Maybe it is what you wanted to ask.
said by tomupnorth:

If a ground wire exists back to the main service panel, can add'tl rods be installed at the remote buildings.

For separate buildings, where allowed, there must be a ground wire back to the next upstream panel. Yes, you can have a separate ground rod at the separate building, and in most cases its a code requirement.

cdru
Go Colts
MVM
join:2003-05-14
Fort Wayne, IN

1 recommendation

cdru to tomupnorth

MVM

to tomupnorth
said by tomupnorth:

Hmmm robbin said addt'l rods need a 6ga tie to the original, and you say it's "a lot more complicated" than that.

I wonder which is true?

They aren't mutually exclusive of each other. Robbin's comment is but one of many requirements in section 250 of the NEC.

Generally speaking, with regard to electrical matters, anything that Whizkid and Nunya comment on like this is more or less NEC gospel as the resident sparkys. Robbin is also a very trusted resource here, and I've never known him to give wrong advice. Unless it's in direct contradiction to something Whizkid or Nunya say, what he says can be relied on as well. If it is in contradiction, then it's likely that there was a misunderstanding somewhere and that what ever was said may not be specifically applicable.

Jack_in_VA
Premium Member
join:2007-11-26
North, VA

Jack_in_VA

Premium Member

said by cdru:

quote:
Generally speaking, with regard to electrical matters, anything that Whizkid and Nunya comment on like this is more or less NEC gospel as the resident sparkys.
+1 These two are the resident electrical experts. You can't go wrong using their advice.

cableties
Premium Member
join:2005-01-27

cableties

Premium Member

said by Jack_in_VA:

said by cdru:

quote:
Generally speaking, with regard to electrical matters, anything that Whizkid and Nunya comment on like this is more or less NEC gospel as the resident sparkys.
+1 These two are the resident electrical experts. You can't go wrong using their advice.

+2
But remember to always check with local codes if unsure.
(I did isolated grounds once. Two rod driven x-feet apart. Cable buried. ...damn if some landscaper dug one rod up, cut cable...)