US

antdude to Lagz

Premium Member

to Lagz

Re: Some Firefox Users Can Dump Adobe Flash

said by Lagz:

said by antdude:

said by Lagz:

It's about time. Coding to play video in browsers might become a little easier.

That's great, but can we block it like with FlashBlock extension for Flash and SilverLight videos?

So you would prefer Firefox keep lagging in HTML5 compliance and still have to rely on Adobe Flash to play videos? I am glad HTML5 is enabling web developers to ditch flash. Flash has lots of vulnerabilities. You would think as long as flash has been around it would have hardened itself by now, but its developers don't seem to be in a rush. Why would they at this point, since HTML5 is replacing the need for flash.

I don't mind dumping Flash, but are there any ways to block them?

html5saywut
@centurytel.net

html5saywut to FF4m3

Anon

to FF4m3
Why HTML5 is not the solution yet Tristan Louis at TabletBiz

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· AVK1XXOg
Mele20
Premium Member
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI

Mele20 to Cartel

Premium Member

to Cartel
said by Cartel:

said by Mele20:

That page says you are in the youtube HTML 5 trial...so it is WebM for Fx that is playing it. You don't need plugins to play any video that youtube has converted to HTML5 when on Fx 4 and above if you have joined the trial.

Yes it says that but I'm not signed in to youtube so I think it just says that default.

It didn't for me on XP Pro. But that was when it was a new beta program. Maybe it says that by default now on or other OSes? It said I wasn't enrolled and I had to decide if wanted to enroll enough to allow cookies which avoid allowing if connected to Google.

Is it really still a trial anyway? I was under the impression that youtube had converted enough videos to HTML5 that it was no longer just a beta trial...but I am not sure about that. I know before I installed Flash on Fx on this new Win 8 computer that you tube played videos for me and I wasn't signed in to the trial. So, I think if you have a browser capable of HTML 5 video and you don't have Flash installed, or have it on a toggle switch, that a youtube video that is made in or converted to HTML 5 will simply play with you doing nothing which can be irritating.
Mele20

Mele20 to html5saywut

Premium Member

to html5saywut
said by html5saywut :

(youtube clip)

That just played for me in HTML5 on Fx 10 ESR. I did install Flash but I got pissed when the Proxomitron didn't give me a toggle switch for Flash on my local newspaper site. (I hadn't been to the site in over a month. It was redesigned and this obnoxious video started playing the moment I opened the site). So, I disabled Flash plugin for Fx. I just checked and Flash Plugin did not somehow magically get re-enabled. That means that this video about HTML5 shortcomings played in HTML5 just now. It was a very clear, crisp full screen picture. It belied what the speaker was complaining about.

chachazz
Premium Member
join:2003-12-14

chachazz to FF4m3

Premium Member

to FF4m3
Experimental H.264, AAC and MP3 support in Nightly

therube
join:2004-11-11
Randallstown, MD

therube to BlitzenZeus

to BlitzenZeus
Mozilla has "click-to-play", which would block it.
Similarly NoScript can block it.

But there is a Bug 659285 - Extend media.autoplay.enabled to provide a way to disable untrusted play() invocations, which breaks it for both.
Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium Member
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ

Kearnstd to html5saywut

Premium Member

to html5saywut
said by html5saywut :

(youtube clip)

The video clip has no context at all. None.

listen closely as he mentions "Native App" at the very end. That means this discussion was very likely more aimed at mobile devices.

on the desktop PC however HTML5 will not have the same performance issues.

html5saywut
@centurytel.net

html5saywut

Anon

said by Kearnstd:

said by html5saywut :

(youtube clip)

listen closely as he mentions "Native App" at the very end. That means this discussion was very likely more aimed at mobile devices.

Mobile has real problems with HTML 5, From a security point of view flash is better because you can choose to install it or not but with HTML 5 in your browser automatically it will be great for hacking your PC.
De Astra
join:2005-06-04
Australia

De Astra to FF4m3

to FF4m3
I sooooooo want to join the YT HTML5 trial. *Points to Flash* You. *Points to door* Out. Get outta here.

Lagz
Premium Member
join:2000-09-03
The Rock

2 edits

Lagz to html5saywut

Premium Member

to html5saywut
said by html5saywut :

said by Kearnstd:

said by html5saywut :

(youtube clip)

Mobile has real problems with HTML 5, From a security point of view flash is better because you can choose to install it or not but with HTML 5 in your browser automatically it will be great for hacking your PC.

If you don't install it you will miss lots of content that the web has to offer. If you have a choice in how video is decoded on your computer rather than being stuck with one form(flash), then you're better off from a security stand point!
»IE Zero-Day