Search similar:

uniqs

donoreo
Premium Member
join:2002-05-30
North York, ON

donoreo

Premium Member

Bell Satellite flip to MPEG4 done (sort of OT)

Just the other day our receiver got an update to a new menu system, etc. Also anything recorded after November 21 will take less space on the PVR (stronger compression).

Just wanted to let others know.

Gone
Premium Member
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

Pretty sure this isn't the full transition, it's just a few of the HD channels in addition to a bunch of the MPEG4 Ethnic SDs they already have. They still have a whole shitload of MPEG2 up there in the sky.

Guspaz
Guspaz
MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC

Guspaz to donoreo

MVM

to donoreo
Do older ExpressVu devices even support MPEG-4?

Gone
Premium Member
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

Nope, but last I heard they were swapping out all the old HD receivers for MPEG4-capable ones. Plenty of SD stuff out there that won't do MPEG4 still.
julienvf
join:2008-12-30
Verdun, QC

julienvf to donoreo

to donoreo
New menus but 9242's are still slow to tune channels.

Guspaz
Guspaz
MVM
Montreal, QC

Guspaz to donoreo

MVM

to donoreo
They better be swapping it out for free and giving ownership of the new terminals to the customers. My parents had to buy their terminals.

donoreo
Premium Member
join:2002-05-30
North York, ON

donoreo

Premium Member

said by Guspaz:

They better be swapping it out for free and giving ownership of the new terminals to the customers. My parents had to buy their terminals.

We swapped out the ones at the cottage in September. They were free. You had to be quick, they deactivated the old ones 4 weeks after the new ones were sent.
34764170 (banned)
join:2007-09-06
Etobicoke, ON

34764170 (banned) to Gone

to Gone
said by Gone:

Nope, but last I heard they were swapping out all the old HD receivers for MPEG4-capable ones. Plenty of SD stuff out there that won't do MPEG4 still.

They have run at least two promos if not three by now where they were swapping old SD and HD receivers for newer receivers.

34764170 (banned) to donoreo

to donoreo
said by donoreo:

Just the other day our receiver got an update to a new menu system, etc. Also anything recorded after November 21 will take less space on the PVR (stronger compression).

Just wanted to let others know.

Also this is MPEG-4 AVC AKA H.264.

Guspaz
Guspaz
MVM
Montreal, QC

Guspaz to donoreo

MVM

to donoreo
Just in time to be rendered obsolete by HEVC/h.265! :P

h.265 is claiming (in benchmarks) some pretty substantial savings. 35% less bitrate than h.264 for the same PSNR, or 70% less bitrate than MPEG-2. Of course, PSNR isn't a measurement of subjective quality, but it definitely shows a marked improvement.