spc
uniqs
NefCanuck
join:2007-06-26
Mississauga, ON

NefCanuck to dcurrey

to dcurrey

Re: Its the phones memory! mostly

Or it could also be that the bloatware is also helping to subsidize the carriers business model.

To my mind, if the carriers TOS for the open beta clearly stated up front that users cannot modify their phone's ROM, then the users are clearly in violation and could, quite legitimately be booted from the service.

If however this was not made clear from the start, then Republic Wireless only have themselves to blame for what's happening as any carrier who offers Android phones has dealt with users rooting their phones for whatever reason they choose to do so.

NefCanuck

cdru
Go Colts
MVM
join:2003-05-14
Fort Wayne, IN

cdru

MVM

said by NefCanuck:

To my mind, if the carriers TOS for the open beta clearly stated up front that users cannot modify their phone's ROM, then the users are clearly in violation and could, quite legitimately be booted from the service.

I skimmed through the TOS on their website and did not see anything that specifically prohibits modifying the rom. The only thing that is close is
quote:
You will not (and will not permit Users to):...(v) modify any software included in any Mobile Device(s);
The question then becomes does rooting the phone or installing custom firmware "modify" the software or replace it?
jc10098
join:2002-04-10

jc10098

Simply put, yes. A rom is software and affects the general functionality of the phone.

Eddy120876
join:2009-02-16
Bronx, NY

Eddy120876 to NefCanuck

to NefCanuck
Well the bloatware is very very minimal according to reviewers heres one from Phonedog about it:

»youtu.be/86EFbWkCGFE