Search Topic:
share rss forum feed

NefCanuck

join:2007-06-26
Mississauga, ON
Reviews:
·voip.ms
reply to gweidenh

Re: [voip.ms] Is it rotten with bugs or is it incompetent users?

said by gweidenh:

said by PX Eliezer70:

Why should servers be going down at all?

Just FYI...

Industry standard servers have an average incident rate of about 8%. How you should read that is that given a large enough sample size, you can expect 8% of your servers to have an 'incident' in any given 12 month period.

Interesting average incident rate percentage you quote there 8%, covering everything from the minor glitch to the "Lucy you'se got 'some 'splaining to do" level.

I just wonder what kind of percentages are seen in other industries by comparison and what would users reactions be in those cases?

I'm going to dig up some reliability stats in the auto industry now and see what kind of numbers I get (I'm betting the incident percentage number there is higher and I don't see call for the return to the horse & buggy)

NefCanuck

nonymous
Premium
join:2003-09-08
Glendale, AZ
said by NefCanuck:

said by gweidenh:

said by PX Eliezer70:

Why should servers be going down at all?

Just FYI...

Industry standard servers have an average incident rate of about 8%. How you should read that is that given a large enough sample size, you can expect 8% of your servers to have an 'incident' in any given 12 month period.

Interesting average incident rate percentage you quote there 8%, covering everything from the minor glitch to the "Lucy you'se got 'some 'splaining to do" level.

I just wonder what kind of percentages are seen in other industries by comparison and what would users reactions be in those cases?

I'm going to dig up some reliability stats in the auto industry now and see what kind of numbers I get (I'm betting the incident percentage number there is higher and I don't see call for the return to the horse & buggy)

NefCanuck

But for critical needs like say banking or visa cards failovers are in place. The end users will not see any long failures.

NefCanuck

join:2007-06-26
Mississauga, ON
Reviews:
·voip.ms
That depends on the severity of the situation, you can try to predict for everything, but nothing is 100% guaranteed in life (other than death and taxes)

For example, last year during the holiday season, one of the major banks in Canada had its entire ATM network crap its pants for the better part of the day. That meant no access to cash via ATM or debit card services, it was horribly inconvenient and I know a lot of businesses lost sales that day that they never made up, but it does happen.

The question is how much more are you willing to pay for the service to get closer to that impossible to achieve 100% uptime?

NefCanuck