Duluth, MN
Ubee E31U2V1
(Software) pfSense
Netgear WNR3500L

Chubbysumo to compuguybna

to compuguybna

Re: Change of service computerized fee

said by compuguybna:

I had sales taxes on both Charter HSI and Phone (supposed to be included under the new packages).

Sales tax should never be added to internet, as in most states right now, it is not considered a taxable good, and it is illegal to collect tax on something and call it a tax, when its not a tax going to the government. unless, of course, you live in Hawaii, New Hampshire, New Mexico, North Dakota, Ohio, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Washington or, Wisconsin. Those are the only 10 states that can legally have a "tax" on internet. Even with that, I live in superior, and I do not see any sales tax on the internet side of my bill.

miscposter
@charter.com

miscposter

Anon

Modem Rental can be taxed. That is most likely where the sales tax came from.

compuguybna
join:2009-06-17
Nashville, TN

compuguybna to Chubbysumo

to Chubbysumo
The TAX I stated was a mistake . . .
I had a 4.69 tax on charter TV. I DONT HAVE TV from Charter.

There is NO TAX on internet in the state of TN. If you at one time leased a cable modem on the OLD PRICE STRUCTURE, there would be sales tax on the modem lease, but not on the internet service itself.

On the other hand, The state of TN does allow sales tax on "installations". so if you got a FREE INSTALL, you'd more than likely be charged sales tax on the "total retail value of the install",
even though the install was "free".
said by Chubbysumo:

said by compuguybna:

I had sales taxes on both Charter HSI and Phone (supposed to be included under the new packages).

Sales tax should never be added to internet, as in most states right now, it is not considered a taxable good, and it is illegal to collect tax on something and call it a tax, when its not a tax going to the government. unless, of course, you live in Hawaii, New Hampshire, New Mexico, North Dakota, Ohio, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Washington or, Wisconsin. Those are the only 10 states that can legally have a "tax" on internet. Even with that, I live in superior, and I do not see any sales tax on the internet side of my bill.