53403-1242

plencnerb

Premium Member

[WIN7] Warning in Event Log on Boot Up

Click for full size
Picture #1
Click for full size
Picture #2
I noticed in the past few days I started getting a new warning every time I would reboot my Windows 7 Desktop.

I did some initial troubleshooting, and determined that the issue was coming from my internal USB Smart Card Reader. If I unplug it from the motherboard, the warning does not return. Plug it in, and I get the warning on every boot.

The one I have is shown above in Picture #1. I purchased it over a year ago from Tigerdirect. The actual link to the product is below
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=6978203&CatId=2824

I have tested the card reader, and it does still function. Meaning, I can connect a 4 GB USB Jump drive to the USB port on the card reader, and it works. I can also plug in a 2 GB SD card into the proper slot, and that works as well. By "works" I can copy files off the media to my computer, copy files from my computer to the media, read files on the media directly (click on them and they open the correct program), as well as delete files from the media.

The exact warning that is showing up in my event logs is in Picture #2.

So I have the following questions

• If it was working all this time without the error, how do I go about researching what "broke" to cause the error?

• What can I do to resolve it now that its broke? Hotfix, driver update, etc?

Thanks in advance for any help that can be offered.

--Brian
Shootist
Premium Member
join:2003-02-10
Decatur, GA

Shootist

Premium Member

Check the makers website for updated drivers or something in that box has broken or something in the original drivers has been correupted.

plencnerb
Premium Member
join:2000-09-25
53403-1242

plencnerb

Premium Member

Could be a corrupted driver I suppose. I know I did not have to explicitly install one. However, things are not perfect, and a file or files could have had something go bad.

I *think* I get the same warning when I run Windows 8 on the same hardware on a 2nd 80 GB HD. I may power off and switch out the Hard Drives to verify this.

It has also been about a month and a half since I rebuilt my system. So, I may do that too, and see if the issue is still present.

For all I know, it could have been a recent security update from Microsoft that caused this. Anything is possible at this point.

As I continue to research this, I'll update the thread with what I find out.

Thanks,

--Brian
plencnerb

plencnerb

Premium Member

Click for full size
On Windows 8, I get the above, but its for a different USB Device.

This is for my 4 GB Dane-elec flash drive. The first time I plug it in, I get that warning. If I reboot, and plug it in again, it will generate the same warning.

So, while similar, they are not the same USB Device giving the same error. Both indicate a driver problem. However, like with the error on Windows 7, my USB Flash drive in Windows 8 does work normally even through Windows 8 is giving that warning.

That is probably a driver issue in Windows 8, which I'll worry about later (I'm still testing Windows 8, and waiting for McAfee to release patch 3 for Virus Scan Enterprise 8.8 anyway).

Knowing my internal USB SD Card reader appears to be fine in Windows 8, and was fine in Windows 7 for a long time, I'm leaning towards one of the two things
• Windows Update broke something
• corrupt driver file(s)

I'm going to take some time on this snowing evening and rebuild things on the Windows 7 side of things, and see if I can track down what may be causing the issue.

--Brian
Sympathy
join:2004-09-06
Newburgh, NY

Sympathy to plencnerb

to plencnerb
I literally just posted a thread about this same issue with Windows 8!

»WUDFPf service was not found (Windows 8)

I'm starting to thing this is just a bug with Windows 8.

plencnerb
Premium Member
53403-1242

plencnerb

Premium Member

Yes, that is interesting.

Question: Does your USB External HD and iPod work, despite the warning? In my case, the USB Devices work without problem, even though I'm seeing the warning.

On the Windows 8 side of things, I used my 4 GB USB Flash Drive to install all the applications, as well as copy some of my data over to test things out. So, I know the device is "working" even though Windows throws that warning on every boot.

The same is true in Windows 7, with my SD Card reader. On every boot, I get the warning about the driver, but yet it continues to function.

Its getting late, so not sure if I'm going to rebuild tonight or not. I may hold off and do it tomorrow.

--Brian
Sympathy
Newburgh, NY

Sympathy

Yep! Everything works perfectly fine. I can see the drive in my computer, no warnings in device manager. Windows detects my external hard drive, iTunes detects my iPod along with Windows. No reading or writing problems.

Really dumb of Windows to throw back an warning when everything is working perfectly fine.

plencnerb
Premium Member
53403-1242

1 edit

plencnerb

Premium Member

This morning I went ahead and re-installed Windows 7 Enterprise x64.

I'm still working on getting everything re-installed, but so far, the error has not come back. I've just got the OS, and drivers (Network Card, Video Card, Keyboard, and Logitech Web Cam).

In the process of installing 107 Windows updates (btw, 527.1 MB in size). Once that is done, I'll check the event logs again and see if the warning is still gone.

If it remains fixed, I'm going to chock it up to a corrupt driver file.

EDIT:

All windows updates have now been applied, and still no sign of the warning.

So, all is well again.

Goes to show that every so often, a complete reinstall from scratch fixes everything!

--Brian
Sympathy
Newburgh, NY

Sympathy to plencnerb

to plencnerb
Nice it worked out for you! I just recently did a upgrade (Clean Install) to Windows 8 last month and the warning message came the 2nd time I plugged in the devices..so I'm coughing this up to a Windows 8 bug

After you plugged in the card reader, it installed the drivers then after that did you restart windows like 2 times?

plencnerb
Premium Member
53403-1242

plencnerb

Premium Member

My SD Card reader is one that plugs directly into the motherboard. So, during both installs, it was already plugged in. I don't ever unplug it! I think it says "USB Card Reader", as you plug the cable that runs from it to one of the motherboard USB plugs.

But, with my 4 GB Flash drive, that I do plug and unplug every time use it. In Windows 7, the first time I plug that it, it says "Installing Driver", and then all is good. No warnings or nothing.

However, in Windows 8, I have not tried to install the OS without having that Flash drive connected, as all my software is installed from it. I suppose the next trial build I do, I could test that out, and see if I can get Windows 8 installed and patched, and then plug it in and see what it does.

--Brian
Sympathy
Newburgh, NY

Sympathy

ahh..Makes sense!

The first time I plugged my iPod everything was fine. The second time I plugged it in (restarted my computer from the 1st to the 2nd time) the warning message appears. Now if I don't restart my computer the warning messages doesn't appear until I restart it. It only appears the first time the iPod is plugged in until the next restart and the process starts all over again.

plencnerb
Premium Member
53403-1242

plencnerb

Premium Member

Interesting the warning message has returned. However, since I made my last post that it was gone till today, I did not make any changes to my system. In fact, I was gone for the weekend (left Saturday and got back home about an hour ago).

However, if I reboot now, the event comes back.

The only thing I know I did was to switch out my hard drives and boot into Windows 8 to test a few things on Saturday before I left.

Knowing that this SD Card reader plugs into my motherboard, could switching hard drives and running Windows 8 on the same hardware cause some odd issue with a BIOS setting that would cause this issue?

Again, to be clear, below is what I do to switch between my main OS (Windows 7) and testing of Windows 8

1) Power off desktop

2) Unplug the sata cable from both SATA drives (500 GB and 1 TB) I keep the SATA power cable plugged in

3) Plug in an EIDE cable to an 80 GB HD, and apply power to it

4) Power on system, and do whatever testing I need in Windows 8

5) Shutdown system

6) Totally unplug 80 GB drive (power and EIDE cable). EIDE cable is left plugged into the motherboard.

7) Plug SATA cables in for 500 GB and 1 TB HDD's

8) Power on and boot into Windows 7

Again, the only thing I can think of is that Windows 8 has done something to the BIOS in regards to the USB ports directly on the motherboard. Whatever that is, it does something different when I boot up into Windows 7. The only reason I say that is I had this working after a complete re-install of Windows 7. I complete that on 12/21 in the afternoon. So, it was running for at least 24 hours before I switched HD's and tested Windows 8. Prior to that, I never saw the message.

--Brian

mmainprize
join:2001-12-06
Houghton Lake, MI

1 edit

mmainprize to plencnerb

to plencnerb
Removed

I was thinking it was a different driver error. This is very close in the spelling

plencnerb
Premium Member
53403-1242

plencnerb

Premium Member

Ok, I think I'm not being clear here, so let me try to explain again.

The issue I reported was showing up inside of Windows 7. That is my main and primary OS that I use on a day to day basis. I did some research with the USB Devices on my system, and determined that it was caused by my internal SD card reader (see picture in my first post). If I unplug it from the motherboard, and boot, the problem goes away. Plug it in and boot, the warning shows up. I figured it was a corrupt driver file.

As a solution to the problem, I backed up all my data, and re-installed Windows 7 onto my system. I installed my drivers, all windows updates, and all my applications. Once that was done, I could reboot many times, and I never saw the error. Things were fine for at least 2 days.

On day #3, I powered off my desktop, and physically switched out the hard drives. I took out my 1 TB SATA drive that contains my OS, programs, and data. I also took out my 500 GB SATA drive that I use for backups. I then plugged in an 80 GB EIDE drive that contained an already installed and configured Windows 8 Pro. I booted that up, did some testing and research for another thread in this forum. When I was done, I powered it off.

I then disconnected the 80 GB drive that had Windows 8 on it, and put back into my desktop my two SATA drives.

Once I did that, every time I boot now I get that warning in my event logs.

I'm going to have to re-test again to verify this, but from what I can tell, Windows 8 makes some change to something on my motherboard or the BIOS that causes this to happen when I go back to Windows 7. It appears doing a re-install of Windows 7 corrects the problem, until I switch Hard Drives.

If I get the chance today, I'll re-install Windows 7 again, and verify I don't see the warning on boot. I'll leave it that way for at least 3 or 4 days, to make sure the problem is really "fixed". At that time, I'll switch out the hard drives and see if the problem comes back.

--Brian
plencnerb

plencnerb

Premium Member

Last night I rebuilt my system again. So far, the warning has not returned.

For the next week, I'm going to use my system as I normally would, with the exception of switching things out to test Windows 8. I will make sure to do at least the following things multiple times

• Reboot

• Power off and power back on

• Use the SD card reader to view, copy to/from, modify, and delete files on an SD card. This is of course the device that gives the warning in the event logs

• Plug my 4 GB flash drive into any open USB port on my desktop and perform the same actions I did for the SD card

I have a feeling that nothing I do above is going to cause that warning to come back. However, since myself (or anyone I know) cannot predict the future, that is why one must test!

I'll update this thread next week before I move on with the Windows 8 part of this.

In the meantime, if anyone should come across anything or have any ideas why my theory that "Windows 8 changes something, and that breaks things in Windows 7", let me know.

Thanks,

--Brian
plencnerb

1 recommendation

plencnerb

Premium Member

Well, I was able to get the error to come back inside of Windows 7, and in the process, I determined that my SD Card reader needs to be replaced.

This device has a USB Slot on the front of it. I've attached a picture showing the front, and the USB Slot is in the red square.

When I plug my 4 GB Flash drive into any other USB Port on my desktop, it fits good. Meaning, it does not wiggle or move around, nor does the drive "drop off" as it's not plugged in right.

However, when I plug the same 4 GB Flash Drive into the USB Port on the front of my SD Card reader, there is a lot of give....it is not a tight fit, and I also get a disk warning in my event logs. I can read the data, and copy it, if I hold the USB Flash drive in place in the slot.

Once I reboot after doing that, the warning that I noted in the start of this thread comes back.

To me, this appears to be a hardware failure. Most important is the fact that the USB slot appears to be "defective", and that may be causing other issues with the device itself.

I've never used the USB Slot on it, as its behind a door on the front of my desktop, but it makes me wonder if I would have first tested with a SD Card, if the warning would have showed up. I'm not going to re-install Windows 7 again to verify that though. Knowing the USB port has issues, its probably just best that I replace it. I only spent $10 on it anyway, so its not like I'm out tons of money.

Bottom line: Problem has been fully identified, and I know what I need to do to fix it. I'll look on TigerDirect's webpage and see if I find another one.

--Brian