uniqs
kes601
join:2007-04-14
Virginia Beach, VA

kes601 to Flojomojo

to Flojomojo

Re: Actiontec 40.19.36 firmware

said by Flojomojo:

I'm happy they removed the IGMP proxy -- it breaks Apple Airplay and was tricky to troubleshoot.

Verizon doesn't seem to have turned on ipv6 for home FIOS yet.

For what it's worth: OpenDNS has an ipv6 sandbox, but entering their DNS entries doesn't help at this point.

»www.opendns.com/technology/ipv6/

You are happy they broke something that many people use? By removing the entry to allow people to disable IGMP Proxy it means many devices and services that need multicast to function will no longer work. Now, if the disabled IGMP Proxy altogether, thus allowing the devices to work as the previously did, that is good. But my understanding is that IGMP Proxy is now enabled and cannot be disabled.
FlareDust
join:2000-09-09
New York, NY

FlareDust

You're assumption is right, IGMP Proxy can no longer be disabled. However IGMP can be disabled altogether. This doesn't help solve the issue for devices that use multicast upnp and require IGMP Proxy to be disabled.

Flojomojo
join:2000-11-06
Silver Spring, MD

Flojomojo to kes601

to kes601
Yes, I am happy they completely removed the IGMP proxy, as it enhances the functionality of my AirPlay devices.

I am NOT happy that they seem to have completely removed UPnP, which is a security hole but is quite convenient. Perhaps this is what you're thinking about? I don't see what use an IGMP proxy would be to anyone's home network in 2013.

I guess ipv6 will eventually replace the need for UPnP.
mikev
Premium Member
join:2002-05-04
Leesburg, VA
·Verizon FiOS
(Software) pfSense
Panasonic KX-TGP600

mikev to FlareDust

Premium Member

to FlareDust
Actually, an orphan page (a page that isn't being linked to anywhere) has been found with the IGMP Proxy setting in the new firmware. See this thread on Verizon's forums for the address:

»forums.verizon.com/t5/Fi ··· 1#M33909
buckweet1980
join:2011-12-31
Saint Petersburg, FL

1 recommendation

buckweet1980 to Flojomojo

to Flojomojo
said by Flojomojo:

Yes, I am happy they completely removed the IGMP proxy, as it enhances the functionality of my AirPlay devices.

I am NOT happy that they seem to have completely removed UPnP, which is a security hole but is quite convenient. Perhaps this is what you're thinking about? I don't see what use an IGMP proxy would be to anyone's home network in 2013.

My assumption is that the IGMP proxy feature is in the device for if/when they every do multicast video. The router would relay the IGMP requests upstream. In a normal environment this is done via PIM to signal the streams, but they don't want PIM adjacencies between all of the devices as it doesn't scale and is a security issue. If Verizon were to ever implement this they would need the proxy feature.

It saddens me every time to hear of issues like yours with Airplay. I work for a large networking vendor and we run into issues all the time at schools/companies that want to use their Apple devices across multiple infrastructures. Apple built their devices to not scale past the local LAN and now networking vendors are doing bastardized tweaked implementations to allow Airplay to propagate across subnets. I wish we vendors would instead forcing Apple to fix their protocols. Yours is another example of how an improper implementation breaks the devices.

nycdave
MVM
join:1999-11-16
Melville, NY

1 recommendation

nycdave

MVM

Buckweet1980, you are spot-on with your description of how Apple breaks widely respected, industry standard RFC's....These workarounds break the 'normal' protocols to get Apple's stuff to work...
tnsprin
join:2003-07-23
Bradenton, FL

tnsprin to buckweet1980

to buckweet1980
As already mentioned see Bigdaddy's post on how to get to the page to disable IGMP Proxy.

»IGMP Proxy Is Now Restored Again !
tnsprin

1 edit

tnsprin to Flojomojo

to Flojomojo
said by Flojomojo:

Found a actiontec video on youtube talking about setting UPnP for devices like the Xbox. Was able to make out that the page is 900 so try

»192.168.1.1/index.cgi?ac ··· page=900

bigdaddy
join:2009-11-18

bigdaddy

Click for full size
said by tnsprin:

said by Flojomojo:

Found a actiontec video on youtube talking about setting UPnP for devices like the Xbox. Was able to make out that the page is 900 so try

CONFIRMED IT WORKS !
Router Actiontec Rev I 40.19.36 firmware
KUDOS TO YOU tnsprin Awesome Find

HarleyYac
Lee
Premium Member
join:2001-10-13
Allendale, NJ

HarleyYac

Premium Member