Hi there
Premium Member
join:2010-07-16
Sainte-Anne-De-Bellevue, QC

ekster to TSI Marc

Premium Member

to TSI Marc

Re: Discussion about log retention

Everyone needs to realize if Teksavvy (or anyone else) starts playing the technical card and keep no logs at all, or for a very short time, the police, the entertainment companies and the politicians will just push a law to get rid of that and make a law that will force everyone to keep logs.

And if they do that, they will definitely not go gentle on the time and ask for 30 days or something like that. They'd want logs kept for a year or two.

Tx
bronx cheers from cheap seats
Premium Member
join:2008-11-19
Mississauga, ON

Tx

Premium Member

said by ekster:

Everyone needs to realize if Teksavvy (or anyone else) starts playing the technical card and keep no logs at all, or for a very short time, the police, the entertainment companies and the politicians will just push a law to get rid of that and make a law that will force everyone to keep logs.

And if they do that, they will definitely not go gentle on the time and ask for 30 days or something like that. They'd want logs kept for a year or two.

If the government wants this they'll do it... they won't wait until ISP's stop logging to do it. No logging is a growing practice around the world. Governments would be over-stepping to even try and suggest how a business should conduct it's business
MaynardKrebs
We did it. We heaved Steve. Yipee.
Premium Member
join:2009-06-17

MaynardKrebs to ekster

Premium Member

to ekster
said by ekster:

They don't need to.
Sandvine will sell the gov't. all the DPI gear they want to catch you in real-time.
voxframe
join:2010-08-02

voxframe to ekster

to ekster
said by ekster:

That's their problem. In the end we need to stand up and do something about it now before it starts. Once they start and the people scream, nothing ever happens about it, the screaming just eventually goes down. Get your foot in the door first.

EUS
Kill cancer
Premium Member
join:2002-09-10
canada

EUS to ekster

Premium Member

to ekster
said by ekster:

In the short term that might be a good thing as this issue would be in the public eye where it belongs.
Long term however, come TPP time, all of this will most likely be made moot, the rules will be dictated.
voxframe
join:2010-08-02

voxframe to ekster

to ekster
said by ekster:

»ACTA Is Dead In Europe

Not that this is really on the same grounds... But it's just another kick in the teeth to the copyright trolls when they tried to push legislation.

TwiztedZero
Nine Zero Burp Nine Six
Premium Member
join:2011-03-31
Toronto, ON

TwiztedZero

Premium Member

said by voxframe:

said by ekster:

»ACTA Is Dead In Europe

Not that this is really on the same grounds... But it's just another kick in the teeth to the copyright trolls when they tried to push legislation.

Just keep in the back of your mind theres yet another teeth kicking movement they're trying to do an end run around with called the Trans Pacific Partnership. While we're fairly certain won't impact things as they stand right now. It'll definitely play a substantial part a year or two down the road, when ever and if it gets ratified.
funny0
join:2010-12-22

funny0 to voxframe

to voxframe
said by voxframe:

said by ekster:

That's their problem. In the end we need to stand up and do something about it now before it starts. Once they start and the people scream, nothing ever happens about it, the screaming just eventually goes down. Get your foot in the door first.

why if police get a complaint and enough evidence to gte a warrant then TSI can log that ip, why should everyone be logged

I am one person of 5000 recetn disabled person to have there data disappear and let me tell you how htis goes and its bound to happen here as well in time.

A) because records were lost for 1.5 years , i was not living where i was
B) no rent receipts means i owed them 1.5 years rent money
C) the apparent address they had for me was a house sold by my father then resold to hells angels bikers whom just recently sold it...
D) aint that great you have me paying no rent at a hells angels biker house....
you want stress that will do it.
AND let me tell ya that got solved fraking quick on threat of a lawsuit.
and there is no excuse not to protect data as if it were level ten top secret
ergo no one in room can be alone with unencrypted data
when its moved you have it encrypted and moved by one person and the key for it is separate and both people with such are watched.

i doubt you guard my data and privacy in this regard so why keep 90 days of it , if you need stats you can run and keep stats BUT you wont need details of anything less then "this area this bandwidth at certain times, you dont require so n so doing this all day or that.

So my question is when my data turns up on the internet or whatever are you saving to get sued because you didnt safeguard it and what safeguards are you putting in place not to look like govt retards.